Sunday, November 23, 2014

#201: Saturday Night Live 40 Review: Cameron Diaz & Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars

Hello, everyone. Andrew here, welcoming you to the first review of Saturday Night Live 40. This season has been...well...mixed, to be honest. The episodes hosted by Chris Pratt, with musical guest Ariana Grande,

former cast member Bill Hader, with Hozier,

and Jim Carrey (although Iggy Azalea was really bad)

were freaking awesome,

the one by Sarah Silverman & Maroon 5 was mixed (and would've been worse had their performance of "Animals" (a song I hate) been terrible [but it was really good].)
and the one by Chris Rock

was horrible, with the saving graces being the monologue and the supawemazballs mega-performance by Prince.

I then checked out the ep hosted by Woody Harrelson, and I thought "hey, that was funny!! I see they've gotten their groove back. Maybe this season won't be that bad."
Then I checked out this week's show hosted by Cameron Diaz, and THEN I thought '...maybe I'll need to check out a few episodes".

Some of the sketches aren't shown here because their videos on YouTube are blocked...in this country. I'm not even gonna.

We start off with the Cold open...which is a "new episode" of Schoolhouse Rock. (Look, if you wanna make it look that, at least use some old ABC bumpers from the 70s to make it more believable.) This features a twist on the classic "I'm Just A Bill" with Kyle Mooney as a kid wanting to learn about the government, and getting some info from a Bill, played by Kenan Thompson (who, at this point, can play any character and still does it in the same voice; and that's not a good thing). The Bill explains how an order goes into law, and then gets pushed down the stairs by President Obama, who shows the boy a new bill called Executive Action which gets Obama to create his own bill on any issue he feels must be dealt with, and immediately puts that to law.

Obama acts like a jerk to Bill here (although that's the point); Bill is an idiot for continually coming up the stairs, only to get knocked off them by Obama; and Bobby Moynihan's portrayal of Executive Action was a little dull, but still got the job done.
This CO is really good; I commend the writers for putting a humorous spin on Obama turning "Evil" and pretty much saying "Hey, I'm the president, and I can do whatever I want, no matter how many Republicans stand in my way" and it works. Jay did great as Obama, with Kenan and Bobby also doing great as Bill and Executive Action, pretty much proving
I do hope the show would do one that has nothing to do with politics; I don't care if it's bad, just without Bronco Bama every goddamn week.

After "LFNYISN" and the title sequence (which I will say is one of the show's best ever, with its use of NYC as a backdrop, retro vibe and the technique which graphics move along with the video in real-time, this one has everything that's awesome), Cameron comes to stage for her monologue, which involves her not wanting questions from the audience. Yet she gets them anyway in another edition of "Host Gets Asked Questions from 'Audience Members'", but they weren't even questions.

Also,

The sketch after takes place at a high school play, in which students act out the contemporaries of Thanksgiving.

This sketch sucks. I don't know if it was supposed to be that way, but even then, it falls flat. I had a better enjoying the reactions of the two people in the audience (played by Kenan and Vanessa) WHO CLEARLY AREN'T ENJOYING THE PLAY like I did.

The next sketch "New Annie" is just a meta parody of the second (yes, second) remake of Annie, with Leslie Jones as New Annie, Jay Pharoah as Jamie Foxx, Diaz as her character Ms. Hannigan...and Vanessa Bayer as Annie. ?

This makes little sense to me. I don't know why there was a white Annie in this one, when this is supposed to mock the new(est) Annie. At first watch, I hoped the writers and producers know what this film was about before the skit was made, and thank God they did, but still. Leslie was a riot as new, black Annie, Jay was great as Jamie Foxx and Diaz was pretty good, but forced as her portrayal as her character Ms. Hannigan.
On the down side, Vanessa's portrayal as white Annie (especially with the voice) was irritating. I know that's the point, but I watched the original Annie many times; she was NOT like this all the time. The ending with Kenan make the skit palpable, but not entirely great.

In a taped bit, the ladies of SNL (along with Cameron) bring it on home (literally to their parents' homes) for Thanksgiving with "Back Home Ballers".

It's no "(Do It On My) Twin Bed", but it's still drop-dead funny. Especially when Leslie comes in And Lil' Baby Aidy just brings it every time.

In another sketch "Office Boss", a couple (played by Kenan and Shasheer Zamata) visit the man's boss and his wife (Diaz) for a dinner date. The wife is telling them a story of how she and the boss met, and straight after asks her husband to come downstairs. It's Office Boss Baby (played by Beck Benett), a man who has the intelligence and money of a CEO but pretty much has something like Down's Syndrome.

The man is pretty much kissing his ass to become CFO of his company, and sits through what has to be one of the saddest nights of his life. I'd either stay where I was or quit so that I don't have to deal with this crap.

You know when I watched this, I thought of the implications that their marriage has. Including:
--Do these two have sex? Because that's sick.
--What the hell was she thinking when she met him??
--Is the man really that desperate for a promotion, that he and his wife had to sit down through this dreck?
--God I feel like dying.
At least one of those was answered when Boss Baby's wife reveals that they're having a(nother) baby.

At this point, it made me lose faith in humanity.
The first half of the skit was funny, especially when Boss Baby dropped in. When wifey fed him baby food, I stopped laughing. Beck plays him really well, and want to see him more soon.

Later on, a skit involving Kenan as a nature show host with his co-host, a monkey named Buggles. This is not cute. At all.

This sketch made me want to vomit, and I was sick with severe allergies last night barely pulling on through this and the edition of SNL Vintage, so I was hoping for that. The whole thing is just "Hey, my monkey co-host ripped my dick and nuts clean off". I don't know who the fuck would find this funny, but I didn't, the audience didn't, and I'm sure almost 85% of viewers didn't either. This is definitely the Worst Sketch of the Week.
After this, I asked my sister to change the channel, because I just couldn't watch any more of this. I found better entertainment from Burns & Allen, The Patty Duke Show and Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Antenna TV.

I missed a few more sketches, and the second performance by Ronson and Mars. And for good reason.

As for Ronson & Mars, they shut the stage down. The performance of "Uptown Funk" was absolutely amazing. And the set looked electrifying (literally, there were enough lights to blow up the electric bill).

I don't know if the writers planned on making this ep sickening and make the viewers vomit before Thanksgiving dinner, but if that was their plan, I can understand that, but I feel they've done it a bit too hard this time. The sketches were nauseating, not really hilarious and made me want to pray to God to keep me from killing people. This episode was terrible. Almost all the sketches were either not funny or grotesque (and in a couple cases, BOTH).

The Saving Graces this week were the CO and Ronson and Mars' performance.

I really need to watch the show in 2 weeks so that I need to end my watching SNL ends on a better note. I can't not do this, and it will kill me.

And that's it for my first review, and I hope you guys enjoyed it more than I enjoyd the show. I know we all have different tastes in humor, but this show wasn't good for me. Tune in on December 7 for my review of Episode 8, hosted by James Franco, with musical guest Nicki Minaj (dear God, this may get worse).

See you then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment