Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Luna Loud Likes a Lady. Me Like Largely || Toony Tuesday: "L is for Love" (The Loud House)



Even though I've done this twice before, I'm saying this in a different fashion. But even with that, I can still admit...I did not (ever) see this coming.

But The Loud House has done it again. Another character has been revealed as a sexual orientation that isn't straight. This time it's a main character in the Loud family. And it's the least unexpected of them all.

Why I said unexpected is because Luna is a big rocker chick. And not only does she look perfectly like a rocker chick, but she definitely looks like the Loud sister to like boys and girls. And you don't have to look far. Half of the sisters are simply out of the question (won't tell which; figure it out yourself), Lori already has a boyfriend, Leni obviously likes boys (and fashion and probably nothing else), and Luan loves to joke around (it's practically her first...love! hehhehhehheh GEDDIT?!?!). And I leave Lynn out of it because she's the youngest of the five and closer to the younger sisters, so I leave her out of it (cause ew). In fact, outside of Lori, all of them have their main character traits out in the forefront so much, that there's no focus on crushes. (Which is great) So you gotta imagine my surprise when this bomb dropped on us.

The first time I learned about this, I was at a forum chat on this website you may have heard of, Toonzone. I was messing around on different threads when I came across one post about The Loud House. I read through the pages and reached that one post by another member that read this:
"Clyde has 2 dads, and Luna has been revealed to be bisexual."
From reading that, I was shocked. Not only because it happened, but also because I didn't watch the episode at first.
Where have I been all this time?!?
But let's get into it shall we?

So, Lincoln Log finds a love letter in the family mailbox. This leads the Loud-lings to have a meeting to figure out the guy (or girl) whom has a crush on one of them. So they embark to find the person whom the lust-mail belongs to, by finding their own crushes. All of the kids' crushes are pretty much parallel in personality to them (with the surprising exception being Leni, whom I expected to have a lust for the skinny, pretty-boy model type; but she actually likes this heavyset clothing store employee. This was kinda awesome that she was crushing on a polar opposite for more than just his looks. Makes me wish some of the others would too.) (I also like to say the short clips of Lily and her crush [her big teddy bear] were just uber-cute.)

So after a long, hard (and pretty clumsy) search to find the one crush--leading to this British-themed restaurant, it turns out the famous L. Loud in the love letters turned out to be their dad, Lynn Sr. (yes, that's his name, and he does share it with young female Lynn. Isn't that clever? I'm sure fans of Mr. Belvedere do.) He got the letters from their mom and his wife Rita in honor of the 20th anniversary of their first meeting and first date. (This was a very good resolution and execution. Even though I knew the ending beforehand, I still felt a little fooled by the reveal of the secret admirer, and happy for Mr. and Mrs. Loud to celebrate their major milestone. (Also, I'll never look at Lynn Sr. again without seeing him in short shorts and a crop top. Oh bollocks, what a bloody sight!) This wonderful story of a nervous crush turned a wonderful long-strong union gave their kids (especially Luna) the confidence to reveal their lust to their significant one-shot counterparts, ending it on a sweet note for what could be later on in its run...

Oh yeah, and why we're here: Yeah, Luna likes girls. (Specifically a blonde rocker named Sam.)
...That's cool.
Now, I'm not gonna a big fuss of it like I did the last time a character has a relative who's not straight (Thar being Lincoln Andrew's best pal Clyde's parents both being male). So...I'm very happy this show took another bold leap for a female character to reveal romantic feelings for another female. In fact, I'm sure this leap had to be bigger and heavier than the last because it's a female character. Which one would think would be less of a good idea to show on a kids cartoon than two males  having romantic feelings (let alone in a biracial marriage).

While this series isn't the first one to make subtle, not-so-subtle, and obviously-blatant connotations to lesbianism, this took the middle option and did in the "do it at the end so everyone will take a while to realize what happened and when they realize it it'll be over" way so good. I obviously approve of this and makes me happy that children's cartoons can continue to tackle more progressive taboo topics in a progressively less-taboo way, and I'll be here rooting on.

Oh, and to talk a bit about this half-episode's counterpart "Potty Mouth", it's also a well-made, funny, heartwarming episode about baby Lily cursing (it's the word "Dang", I swear!) and the other Loud-lings have to try to get her to forget the word before an interview with a worker of an exclusive daycare center. It was funny all the way, and also sweet that all of the kids tried their best to make sure their baby sister goes to a good preschool. That's why I love The Loud House--this family loves and will anything for each other (heck, it's practically in the theme songs). I'm not gonna spoil the ending for you, but I promise it's gonna render you...a different reaction.

Luna Loud likes ladies.
Ludicrous? Lackluster? Lackadaisical? Lowly likely.

Lovely? Largely.

Thank you for tuning in for this special one-episode edition of Toony Tuesday. I hope you've enjoyed it. If you want me to do more episodic reviews, lemme know in the comments section or on social media.

I'll see you guys later, when I'll take a look at the highly anticipated first episode of the highly-anticipated reboot of DuckTales. See you then.

I'm Andrew, and may the good toons be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment