Thursday, April 10, 2014

1 Season Wonder - Marvin Marvin

Welcome to 1 Season Wonder, a segment of Maroon Mondays. Here's how it goes.
I scour across the Internet and find TV shows with only 1 season, watch them, see if I enjoyed them, talk about them here and put them in a list of 1-Season Wonders. It sounds easy as it looks, right? No, you actually have to find these shows, watch through them hoping they're not as painful as they were the first time, and debate with yourself to see if it makes the list. If that sounds challenging and you want it that way, then let's do it.


This time around, It's Aliens in America--no, I'll work on that some other time--but this show does have an alien, and does take place in America, but this is-no, was-for the kids. So we couldn't expect anal probing, mind reading, alien-vomit-spewing or the occasional learning of American culture--at least until after the first episode. This show is basically My Favorite Martian for the wrong demo (and decade). Oh and Fred Figglehorn's in it. It's Marvin Marvin.

It's kinda...Meh? Seriously though, it's basically your run-of-the-mill kids' show: a mix of odd characters: The Weirdo, the Smartass, the Idiot, the other Idiot, the Bumbling-as-F*ck Dad, and the Older and therefore Better Than You Mom. It happens with every other Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and maybe Cartoon Network show since That's So Raven. These generic elements (along with a laugh track) really annoy me among other things (including the fact that all DC sitcoms kinda look the same to me now), but I get used to that.

I pretty much have a love/hate relationship with Nick shows that aren't created by Dan Schneider. The "love" part because they don't have the Schneider Sch-pecialty: pretty much making humor from anything: cranky, kooky old people; greedy, annoying, snot-nosed kids; people with "special" problems; mentally retarded people; pudding; ointments--anything. That annoys the hell out of me. And the "hate" part is they all kinda suck in a sense. This show is one of them. It's not terrible, but it's not really good either.

Marvin Marvin is about an alien named--well, Marvin--who comes from the planet Klooton, sent to Earth by his parents during an invasion from the evil Klerg, a rival race in some battle with the Klootons. After successfully landing on Earth, Marvin gets scared and moves to some Auntie and Uncles in Bel-A--just kidding. He meets a family from

I do enjoy this show. It's not horrible (but not great too), and it would've been nice to see at least another season. I'd kill through good time for that. If I can get through two seasons of iCarly and Victorious, then I guess I might get through one season of this. Unforturnately, I'm wrong at times.

I can't find episodes for this show, because Nick removed all traces of this show since its cancellation (or people find it so repulsive, they destroyed all traces of it because it's that bad. So I don't blame anyone either way.)

And there it is, Marvin Marvin, the fourth addition of the 1 Season Wonder segment, added to the list of 1 Season Wonders and will forever be known as the second straight series Lucas Cruikshank starred in for Nickelodeon...that is short-lived.

Tune in next time, when I review a spin-off of one of the most iconic (and sexiest) shows of the 70s. In fact, I enjoy the spin-off better than the main show itself. And then there's the theme song...WOW.
I'll see you next time, but until then, keep your television shows close and the pieces of crap closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment