Monday, April 14, 2014

Crazy Kid Stabs Fellow Students in Pittsburgh area School

Not to be humorous, but it's always the quiet ones that end up crazy.

Last Tuesday, in the Pittsburgh suburbs, a male Sophomore student at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, Pa., went on a violent rampage, stabbing 20 students in classrooms and in the school hallway. At least eight were hospitalized with serious injuries, many with deep puncture wounds to the abdomen, hospital officials said. Doctors said a 17-year-old male student was in critical condition after being stabbed in his liver, diaphragm and major blood vessels; thankfully, the blade missed his heart and aorta during the attack. The school's officials said a fire alarm triggered the incident, with students and faculty fleeing the school, and the almost-killer going for the attack. Murrysville Police Chief Thomas Seefeld said the suspect, 16-year-old Alex Hribal, who is in custody, was being treated for injuries to his hand. The 16-year-old sophomore was tackled by Assistant Principal Sam King and handcuffed by a security guard.

Hribal was taken into custody and treated for a minor hand wound, then was brought into court in shackles and a hospital gown and charged with four counts of attempted homicide and 21 counts of aggravated assault. He was jailed without bail, and authorities said he would be prosecuted as an adult. At the brief hearing, District Attorney John Peck said that after he was seized, Hribal made comments suggesting he wanted to die.

You know things like this are really sad, especially when you get into the details. No one knows why this young man committed this crime, and how the weapon got past school security. But this, nonetheless, baffles me.

You know, I was once also a quiet and shy kid in high school. I did have friends, but it was kind of a surprise that I had any. I was even in the school yearbook superlatives as..."Most Shy".
Yes, that was a thing. Ant the haircut? That happened. (Sigh)
I don't know if they had that sort of thing for years or felt so sorry for me, that they put me somewhere in the book. Oh, and that girl standing next to me? Didn't need to be there anyway, but thank God I wasn't the only one, I would've been embarrassed until I turn 50.

Anyway, I feel shocked that a kid like me and him could snap so hard and do something so shocking to people he doesn't know. Even if they were bullies to him, it's still no excuse to take even a pea shooter to school and shoot some people with it. As much as I want to somehow hate the dude for pulling such a crime, I can't help but feel sorry for him. He went to high school probably have a safe time, making friends, being on good terms with teachers, and hoping to make this some of the best years of his young life. I was just like him. High School life isn't perfect all the time, so we can't expect a good time every day, and expect the worst all the time.

Thank God no one was killed. I feared this would turn into an American version of the incident in Oslo, Norway in 2011 or another Sandy Hook or Dark Knight Rises shooting. Fortunately (and miraculously), it didn't. I wish the victims and their families a safe and peaceful life ahead, the dude the best in the jail he'll be staying in for a few years, if not decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment