Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Shepard Smith Reveals He's Gay













Hey, everyone.
You know that one person at Fox News that you actually like? Yeah, No, Maybe so...Why? Well, here's one that I like: Shepard Smith. He's funny, witty, sensible, smart, cool and a really good (if not very good) journalist. Oh yeah, and--as revealed yesterday, he's gay.
Smith revealed his coming out in an interview with The Huffington Post in response to years of allegations that he was really truly not straight (after all, he has been featured on the Power 50 list by Out Magazine at that time then) as well--in turn--as years of rumors that former CEO of Fox News Roger Ailes showed antipathy towards his sexuality and tried to keep him from opening the door the public to advance the network's front as an clean All-American news network.

The quote:
“No, never. He treated me with respect, just respect,” He said. “I wasn’t new in the business when I came here ― I’d been doing reporting for 12 years ― but I wasn’t old in it either, and he gave me every opportunity in the world and he never asked anything of me but that we get it right, try to get it right every day. It was a very warm and loving and comfortable place.”

To be honest, this was a shock to me. In the years I've watched Fox News (on-and-off of course) I've never noticed him as anything other than a broadcast journalist that was seemingly straight as an arrow, married to a woman with kids, loves the long hair and boobies. And I've never even heard of the rumors of him being gay until now. But then again, I also once thought that Superman was real, McDonald's was the best food ever and Batman & Robin was one of the most kickass movies ever. (Clearly, I'm not the best at seeing into things under a microscope.) But enough about last year...

This news came out like a true bombshell and I thought this was just clickbait the afternoon I read about it. And considering that Fox News Channel is extremely well-known for Christian-bred, All-American, clean-and-civil, no-new-religion-or-sexuality, "Will someone please think of the children" attitudes and values in its programming and reporting (you know, bullshit), you honestly can't blame me.
But since this is Shep Smith, one of the few Fox News personalities that many people besides it's demographic (decrepit white OAPs) truly like and respect, coming out (and still probably having a job there)--especially at a time when the most crazy, out-of-left-field mind-fuck of an election season is still ongoing (as of posting this), this was super big to everyone. But...I don't mind it at all. For him to make such a huge bold leap to come out (especially on FUCKING FOX NEWS in 2016) doesn't make a big deal me concurrently. Sure it feels like all this makes him like a WWE face: awesome, entertaining, kickass, badass and with adoring fans watching every week. (Hell, even before this, he's just like that.) but, I didn't feel shocked for hours on end. I just read an article (at HollywoodLife of all places!), reacted a bit to it and moved on with my day. Other things were on my mind. So I applaud him for coming out.

As for the part about Alies treating Shep with respect as a journalist, I respect him for it. I still hate his guts after his sexual harassment scandal, but treating him as a person (let alone a journalist) instead of someone who he and most definitely the viewers as something he truly shouldn't be really gives him an ounce of respect from me. An OUNCE... That fucker is still scumbag for that scandal.

Even if he looks more hetero than Brian Kilmeade, Steve Doocy, Bill Hemmer or that fucking annoying and asine blowhard Sean Hannity, it's still something that no one seen coming (like a true promo made to turn that face into a heel) and will change a lot at Fox forever. And speaking of heel, I have a big feeling that a lot of Faux Noise's audiencd will see the newly-homosexual Shepard "Pie" Smith, and think of him as a heel they never dreamed of: evil, cunning, manipulative, bad at jokes and wearing a lot of leather...and ruining the news of Trump whining about the Presidential race being against him and what Obama is up to under taxpayers' money with his "f@#&¤+" face. Oh, Fox News audience...you people make me sick.

Maybe he might get demoted or outright fired sometime later in the future or the execs will support him in PR mode and THEN demote him or or outright fire him quietly sometime later in the future. There are new execs there and changes are probable so Who knows? Until then, congrats to Shep for coming out. I'm not as celebratory as a lot of people are now, but this is worth clapping into thin air for.
And Shep, keep up the good work. And I mean real good work from that goofy SS Enterprise ripoff set called the Fox News Deck, not the crap almost all the other ones are doing.

(Alright, just because he's gay doesn't mean I like him. I've liked him a lot way before then.)

No comments:

Post a Comment