Saturday, October 05, 2019

SATURDAY/NIGHT\LIVE_FORTYFIVE=REVIEW: two -- Phoebe Waller-Bridge & Taylor Swift


Hey...

It’s back. My review of Saturday Night Live is back after… a fuck-ton hiatus. I know this blog is infamous for stopping reviews out of nowhere and keeping mum about them, leaving you all disappointed in me and  And I don’t blame you all for that, and for that I truly apologize. (That reminds me, I gotta finish Star vs. The Forces of Evil, review more new cartoons, not to mention Fifty-Difty-Doo!)

Things have gotten more hectic in my life since I didn’t finish season 41. I got a job, then another, left one job, stuck with the one I hated, got a better job, got a new computer, went to a few comic-cons, gone to a few special events and actually getting the courage self-esteem and will to live, live, live. So, if anything, it’s as if I needed a blog as a hobby to just pass the time. Now that my life is now in balance and I'm feeling better than I've been in years, I feel more alert and excited to do long form reviewing again.

As for the FFD! Thing, my internet cut off at the worst time as was halfway finished the TV shows reviews, making me miss the planned end date (which was the 50th anniversary of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!’s debut), so this month I’ll finish the celebration and end of this month with the original on Halloween.

Anyway, back to SNL. Now that the show has returned for its landmark 45th season, I feel it’s time to man up and return to something long-form-ish to keep this site from recurring dormancy. And this is one of those somethings; I really enjoyed reviewing SNL for the 2-ish seasons I’ve done it, but lots of things caught up with my time to drop it. Also, to be honest, the more I watched it, the more I got bored with reviewing it. Nothing clever to say (and that’s most of the time), nothing much new to like, and I didn’t want to spend three more years saying “Why is Taran Killam is every sketch?” And yet I now have a full season to say “Why is Mikey Day in every sketch?” And you’ll just might see why later on.) So for now, I'll retry my review in a more live-blog format -- where I'll review the show and post my thoughts briefly at it goes along. Then rewite it to add more thoughts after clips of the sketches are posted on YT.

Now, the thing you want me to discuss before you rip out all your hair: episode two. This week, our host is red-hot British TV triple threat (creator/writer/actor) Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I know… next to dick about her. Nothing she made has been on my radar since the first time I heard her name. The only thing I do know is her work on Killing Eve -- an absolute badass humdinger of a TV show. Her work as showrunner during the first season was razor-sharp second-to-none. So I was wondering - why is the woman who wrote for Killing Eve doing Saturday Night Live?

This is why: 

Fleabag.

I never got to watch it, because it’s on Amazon. I hate Amazon because of the deplorable work conditions towards its workers. And it’s because of that, I've been out of the loop from it (poor me). I’ve heard of raving, glowing, phenomenal reviews to it, and its surprise wins at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards (with PWB even beating alumni Julia Louis-Dreyfuss for Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series) bolstered my surprise of it. Before even the nominations, I never heard of Fleabag outside of the name. In fact, this isn’t the first Fleabag I’ve ever heard of.
Until then this is the Fleabag I’ve ever known.
This character from The Oddball Couple, the 1975 Saturday morning cartoon based on The Odd Couple (the classic Neil Simon play and the iconic sitcom from which it was based). All I can assume is that they’re both self-assured, loud-mouth, sloopy, gratuitous slobs, but whatever that Fleabag does, this Fleabag can’t -- cause 97% of her actions can’t be shown Saturday mornings on ABC in 1975 (or any year with a 5 outside of premium cable).

I’m gonna guess that the show will be parodied in a sketch. Other than that, I think PWB will give a marvellous performance. She (along with the show) did win an award last week. They’ll be a match made international telly heaven.

Meanwhile, this week’s musical guest... is none other... than Tay-Tay.

Taylor Swift has had quite a last few years. After 1989’s era finally ended and we all shook it off for a new blank space to suit our style (...I’ll see myself out.), T-Swizzle then got caught in a war no one expected...or asked for or wanted with Kanye and Kim K. That manifested in her going into radio silence that lead up to slinky, slimy, slithering snapback with reputation… her worst record yet. In fact, during her last performance on SNL, “...Ready for It?” was a sludgy, screeching white-girl-rapping failure (nothing more to say that won’t make me laugh my bigger-than-hers ass off), and I don’t need permission to say what I think about her or her relationships, but thanks to “Call It What You Want”, I can say that I really think about the latter: meal tickets and remedies for her occasional writer’s block. But hey, at least she’s talented and her music is mostly real good and catchy. And I did get to see her during it’s stadium tour and she was fantastic.

Now, her latest LP, Lover hit the stores and interwebs, it’s… better. The songs are cheerful, optimistic, colorful, catchy and pretty well-written (at least from some singles I’ve heard so far). And it’s a real sweet syrupy strawberry letter to something she just can’t find but acts like she has it all over her… Love. “ME!” is about finding it with a guy while the singer(s) thinks other people are better than them (yes) (although hearing  "Hey, kids, spelling is fun!" makes me want to whack myself off with a flail), “You Need to Calm Down” is a lovely composition about her “support of the LGBTQ+ community while also telling everyone around her to get off her ass, and “the title track” is about loyalty to someone -- my personal favorite of the three. And I’d be excited to see them all (or two; cause duh) done live - preferably in front of the performance area specially dressed like the album cover.

--

And here we go!
The Cold Open takes place in Washington, where President 45's "dream team" of VP 45 (Beck Bennett), AG William Barr (Aidy Bryant), and attorney-at-dim Rudy Guiliani (Kate McKinnon) try to gather themselves after the aftermath of Dump's impeachment inquiry. They're joined bu Mike Pompeo (surprise guest Matthew Broderick) who should be doing what he was voted to to. I loved this one; the usual heavy hitters are still in their A-game, the writing was top=notch, the direction and timing were perfect (Don Roy King deserved his Emmy), the appearance of Broderick was awesome, the snake as Stephen Miller was brilliantly... venomous. (Ehhh?) Great start.

Waller-Bridge makes her 8H debut, and her Monologue is sharp and smashing out of the gate, with a mind-blowing-ly meta assessment of the thing that happens after the thing that takes down the set of the CO, introducing the cast in a glossy, high-powered, expensive video that shows them in the city doing things they can't do if they weren't here, with them being happy because they get paid to do it.

The whole is a bunch of non-sequitur in a stream of consciousness that has Phoebe incredibly showing off while superb she is. Did she write this?? That explains why it was hilarious. (And yes, I'm trying my best to use as many British slang in ref to her all night, so buckle up mates, it's gonna be nigh bloody cricket).

--

The Sketch After is a game show. Will Mikey or Kenan host? We shall see. See, we shall.

It's Kenan. The game is What's Wrong with This Picture, And Elliot Pants (christ) is the host. Three reaching morons try to figure out what's incorrect. The whole thing is uproarious from start to finish, with all contestants (Baby Aidy, Kyle Mooney and PWB) giving random answers that have Pants and us all losing our sanity with the hopes we'll get a raise tomorrow. Every line is hilarious, and Kenan's quiet hamminess is Delicious. If I did this show, I'd be armed. for my head.

--

Next up, the Pre-Tape After takes a shit on Love Island. It's a reality show where the most obnoxious, over-makeuped and tanned people stay on an island. I would say this is spot-on, but since I don't watch the US version, I would've bashed my head with a steamroller. If I lived in the UK, I would've considered priesthood now that this rubbish exists.

--

WANU 7 Mid-Day is on the air, and the anchors (PWB, Kenan, Ego Nwodin & Alex Moffit) are recapping the stories... before debating, hoopin' and a hollerin' while playing "GUESS WHAT RACE IT IS!"

If this isn't me and every other person with way too much time on civics and watch more than a half hour of BET...
This has to have been written by a black person and a very urban white person. But it was glorious. All the cast members and PWB rocked in this one, showing personalities you wouldn't (and shouldn't) see in your favorite news people doing sad stories  involving murder and larceny like it was the NFL Draft! Too much for the mainstream but perfect for some - me included.

--

This next one has been done before. A man fighting in war (Mikey Day - this time as William) sending love letters to his love. Then she sends letters back that look like Dear John letters. It was hilarious the first time and worth continuing. This new installment is just as grand. PWB is supreme as Lydia, who doesn't seem to give a flying fig about William and is enjoying the time apart and destroying her husband loyalty (and self-esteem). The glee she gives him while he wants answers to everything is horrible... yet hilarious. William... get a new wife. Or at least... experiment.
Considering with snickers (from a different time),
Andrew (PS. I'm shagging with Lydia, haha)
--
So, after commercial about her music on... AMAZAAAAHN! and the stupid Cats film...
https://youtu.be/8p0EW65CWmA?t=695

Taylor wift takes takes the Performance Area, looking like Kermit the Frog's new mistake-- I mean, flame  in a bright green room with scattered papers hung throughout performing Lover the title track from Lover the album (I knew it! [...the last one]). I really love this; Tay-Tay along performing on a player piano is a brilliant arrangement, and for this smooth, airy, charming song, it's one I still didn't expect or thought I'd love, but it's here. Her vocals are incredibly sweet and savory, and per piano playing was perfection.I didn't think to look forward to Swift performing live again, but like the liar and dirty, dirty cheat I am, I really actually did. And I'm happy for that.

--

Time for an (Absolutely Needed) Update:

Jost and Che are back to tackle the Trumpechment Inquiry and do it flawlessly, tag-teaming the idiot-in-chief's countless public crimes, accusations against Joe Biden and his son Hunter, the moronic moat with alligators and snipers and hundreds of tweets bitching about the Impeachment Inquiry (plus the dim Nickleback Photograph tweet).
Remember when I hated these guys. I feel like shit now. They've come a long way.
-
Kate McK returned as Elizabeth Warren and discussed her policy tactics, big money donors choosing 45 over her, and a random conspiracy theory about her rough-fucking a 24-year-old Marine. Kate kills it yet again, from the look and dress to Warren's Tilly Green-esque voice and mannerisms. The jokes left me gasping.
-
Newest featured player Bowen Yang (shining bright after the...controversy surrounding another featured) makes his Update debut as Chen, talking his thoughts on the U.S' trade war with China. Yang's mannerisms and tenacity are infectious and was my favorite of the "guests" this edition.
I'll never not hear Tig Ol' Bitties ever again.
-
Mikey appears as Mort Felder, an elderly commentator discussing Centenarian News, the accomplishments of 100year-old seniors... before blurting after Colin's praise that they died soon after. The joke is obvious and repetitive but the punchlines are clever, well-placed and well-spoken by Day, whose voice fits an old man a bit too much, but still works the gut-bust--I mean, side-split--uhh funny gag--joke very well.
-
Well-done job by everyone this week. This second time around was amazing for Update. Even the groaners were good.

--

Hello and welcome to "Royal Romance", introducing Jimmy J Robertson, a former 70s blaxploitation star who was later chillin' as a member of the Royal Family, married to a lesser-known duchess. Kenan shined like the bitch Thunderstick pumped in the head as Robertson , and I ate up his hamminess and swag like black licorice (which I hate), and the supporting cast was prim and proper in the "BBC Special".

--

The sheet music blew away and is now replaced by a dimly-lit Performance Area flanked by equally-dimmed light bulbs and her now-appearing short-numbered band to perform "False God" (a new song I've just heard here first). I enjoy the production very much, same with the backup vocalists, the drummer, and especially Lenny Pickett -- THE guy behind the musical voice of SNL, the saxophone. Lenny was FUCKING AWESOME!!!
I'm so watching this the SECOND it hits YT.

--

The Sketch Before the Goodnights takes place at a trailer-trash watering-hole, where four women (PWB, Cecily Strong, Baby Aidy and Kate McK) acting like members of the Buffalo Gals, try to woo (lightly speaking) a guy (BeckBenn) who wants what Lizzo wants to be -- a bad bitch, non-committal, before whacking him with with whatever bar items they can find. It's as glamorous and romantic as it sounds. It's as clear as the ladies' voices -- muddled, . But still chuckle-worthy. Mikey Daylenz had no right to be here (there it is), and Beck was forgettable. Who played the guy again? Anyway, weakest of the week, hands down and not worth last call. (Ehh??)

--

So... that was bollocks. Oh wait, no... it was... bloody brilliant! The cast were all energized and electric and eclectric. PWB brought her own brand of humor (as far as I know; still gathering from the Mono) and it translated seamlessly. She was a first-timer, but acted as if she reached Five-Timer status. She was a fantastic host and deserves to come back. Whether Fleabag gets another season or not (with British telly, two seasons and 12 episodes can last a lifetime over there) or if she'll star in a blockbuster movie -- which she'll no doubt do soon (she's worked on the next James Bond film No TIme to Die and has starred in Albert Noobs, The Iron Lady, Goodbye Christopher Robin and Solo and Rouge One: A Star Wars Stor(ies) {if you watched either]), at this point in time, if you didn't watch Fleabag, you now know who Phoebe Waller-Bridge. And with this review, you will happily never forget her. She's here to stay, rest of America. Enjoy her like you enjoy... whatever one British show you watch (or have watched before). Let's say... Crashing?? ...wait, what's that?

-

Anyway, next week, David Harbour, star of Netflix's smash Stranger Things (a show I have heard of; it's American. lol) is the next newcomer to Studio 8H, joined by another newcomer, Camilla Cabello. I've heard of both. I like Harbour.
And I hope you enjoyed this review, and my new live-update format. If you have something to say about my new reviewing style, let me know in the comments section below. If you don't... well, I got your pageview anyway. That proves you were here.
Goodnight old chaps, beans, and old floggers and "Take a look at my big, black ass!"

No comments:

Post a Comment