Monday, March 28, 2022

We Don't Talk About Oscar, but it... Slapped?

 Okay... so... how was your night?


So the 94th Academy Awards took place last night, and it certainly was newsworthy for a lot of reasons. One the obvious, but we'll get to that.

I usually don't watch the Oscars with the highest level of excitement as of late, but I still watch to see what the set looks like (and it was beautiful as always), what awards would win the technical awards (and I feel the right films did - believe me, when Mad Max: Fury Road won its technical awards, I was bopping around in my mind; that movie more than deserved them),  and how stuffy it all felt (somehow it wasn't as most years, but hoo boy).

Now to the moments that grabbed my attention.

-- The ceremony kicked off with Beyonce (and her band and dancers -- including daughter Blue Ivy) performing Be Alive from King Richard in tennis ball lime green glory. It was incredible and fabulous. I've never heard the song before, but it is a breathtaking production inspiring lyrics and grown-man-cry lyrics. A perfect way to start.

This year's ceremony was hosted for the first time by three women -- comedy actress Regina Hall, alleged "comedian" Amy Schumer, and stand-up icon Wanda Sykes. I thought they all did well considering the circumstances (yes, even Schumer) and held the show down well. Some jokes landed and others were more cringe than outright bad. I say this because I have more compassion and sympathy for Oscar hosts (knowing that job is tough as hell). This considering I despise Schumer, and love Sykes & Hall.

Back to the set, wow it's amazing. This year's stage is much more nuanced in terms of large physical set pieces, opting instead for bright LED light designs (like triangles and circles) and small, very uniquely designed Oscar props lightly all over the place. Also, no steps; the stage is just a few feet from the floor -- I enjoyed that too. One thing I'm still not in total support for is no orchestra under the stage; one of the joys of the telecast is the live arrangements of the songs related to the films of the winners (even when they wrap abruptly as soon as the winners grab their Oscar). Instead, this year, we get flavor-of-the-month DJ D-Nice, an introduction by Hip-Hop most unnecessary hype man (and most egregious producer after Mustard), DJ Khaled, and a super-band including Adam Blackstone, Sheila E., and Travis Barker. I heavily enjoyed the super-band, and D-Nice did real good (the tracks he chose I really love, and I'm glad they weren't as obnoxious about it like America's Got Talent), but the orchestra has timeless staying power. I give the producers brownie points for shaking things up, but it's either one or the other in my opinion; the mix in sources of music is pretty messy.

Speaking of the producers, this year's control room leader is movie and TV producer Will Packer, best known for Girls Trip (which also co-stars Regina Hall). He did pretty good as producer, but if he is asked again to produce, I'd believe a few ideas would not be utilized again.

Now on to some winners:

-- Ariana DeBose picked up Best Actress in a Supporting Role as Anita in West Side Story. I loved her reaction and light emotion as she gave her lovely speech. She also made history as the first Afro-Latina and queer actress to win an Oscar, as well as the first actress to win an Oscar for a role that also netted the original actress an Oscar (that of course being the iconic and beloved Rita Moreno in the original film).

-- Troy Kotsur of CODA became the first deaf male to win an Oscar for his role in the film (after Marlee Matlin won as the first deaf actor even to win the statuette). His speech was beautiful and emotional as he thanked his family, co-stars, and the film's crew, as well as signing his praise and love for his fellow deaf performers for working their hardest to get their foot in the door in the industry. I felt a little teary watching that speech and shout out to the majority of the audience for waving their hands (which is a sign for applause).

-- Encanto was certainly the animated film to beat (well, let's be honest-- film PERIOD). It was really popular after its Disney+ release and it's song were blazing to the top of the Billboard charts -- especially one song we all know, love or have gotten sick of (depending on your view... and age), "We Don't Talk About Bruno". The movie won Best Animated Feature Film, the aforementioned "Bruno" (which became a #1 Hit on the Hot 100), had its first live performance. Also performed was the song from the film that actually was nominated, "Dos Orguitas". Introduced by Stephanie Beatrix, the performance by Sebastian Yatra (accompanied by a couple with a romantically wonderful dance number) was sweet, sultry and beautiful. Back to "Bruno" (and introduced by Bruno himself, John Leguizamo), the performance was... ehh, alright. All the performers were talented and charismatic on the mic and I enjoyed it, but I wad turned off when Megan Thee Stallion appeared to rap; I came to once the song came to its conclusion. 

Back to the winners

-- Dune dominated the pre-show and main-show technical awards

-- Riz Ahmed made history with his win in Best Live Action Short Film category with The Long Goodbye.

-- Jessica Chastain secured another Oscar for her role as Tammy Bakker in The Eyes of Tammy Faye.

-- CODA is the ninety-fourth film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.

-- Questlove's Summer of Soul (or The Revolution Will Not Be Televised) won Best Documentary Feature Film. As someone who saw it and fell in love with the performances and interviews with the people who took part or are related to the people who took part, this was well-deserved. The doc shined a bight and beautiful light on a music and variety festival for and celebrating black people and culture that, unlike THE festival of 1969, went forgotten until the Roots drummer and frontman got the rights to it and brought it into the public conscience so a new generation can watch and experience what the folks in Brooklyn at that time witness with their own eyes and saw as a powerful, mesmerizing and incredible experience of fashion, art, music and love. 

And I guess that's it. That's my highlights and thoughts for this year's Oscars.















Oh... yeah... That.

Okay, let's get into that so I can never hear or talk about it again.

During the second hour of the almost four-hour show, Chris Rock presented the Documentary Feature Film category. During his dialogue, he made a joke about Will Smith's wife Jada Pinkett in relation to her suffering from alopecia and since sporting a shaved head.
"Jada, you look great. GI Jane 2, can't wait to see it."
After noted reactions from both Will (looks like he either laughed or nervous-laughed) and Jada (open irritation along with an eye roll), Smith then suddenly gets on stage and -- to the shock of the nominees, honorees and others in attendance, and everyone watching across the globe -- smacks the ever-loving taste, sight and smell out of Rock's face. (He got the West Philly out of him!) As Smith walks back to his seat and then yelled "keep my wife's name outcha fucking mouth!", an utterly flustered and understandably shocked Rock insisted his joke was that and continued with presenting the category (which Summer of Soul won). 

I'm... conflicted.

Yes, Smith should not have done it -- at least in public. If anything, he should've either smacked Rock backstage or at least whispered in his ear something like "Ayo, Chris. You're my bro and I love you, but I love my wife more, and I don't appreciate that joke you made, so if you know what's good, please keep my wife's name outta yo' mouth. Okay? Cool. Thank you. (whether public or private)" But, if I was in a similar situation, and someone dogged my wife with a harsh, crude statement disguised as a joke, my hands would've been caught. Just saying. Black women have been disrespected for so much (including their hair) by so many people (who want to shame it, copy it for themselves or even touch it like they're animals) across many decades already. They do not deserve that crap and Jada is not an exception.

Now I know the Smiths' relationship has been sordid and messy for the past few years (what with Jada's desire for an open marriage and revealing her affair with August Alsina [who?]), leaving Will look like he's lost in the fog. And for the past year, is now suffering from alopecia. And he definitely had to let go all that steam. But Rock was certainly the last person for him take it out on, even more so on live international television. August Alsina should've been the first. That beatdown and affair should be the things people will remember him for, and not his shitty music.

And if anything, I feel sorry for Chris to have this sudden slap [which happened to him in front of his peers and other people in that building and millions of viewers around the world. But I must say, he had the restraint and composure of a saint to not respond to Smith's attack and just continue the portion of the show any way he could. I totally commend him for such a show of strength. I'll also say, it was a corny, dumb joke from the man who gave us Good Hair; I've never heard of GI Jane (except for thinking the main character also shaved her dome), and I didn't exactly hurt my sides from it. I'm glad he didn't press charges, and I don't think Smith should go to jail. Yes, violence is not the answer; but it is still an answer to some and they go to it to solve whatever ails them, sadly. But putting Smith in jail won't change anything. Both had their licks in and penn time would just be disproportionate retribution. But it's not my choice, it's Rock's.

Of course, everyone has their opinions, and they are totally entitled to them. But there is a certain divide because of it depending on your view. The other view has dominated the news, so I feel alone in my opinion. And when other people tried to give the same opinion as mine, they get insulted and bombarded with childish relies and whiny "so you condone violence" comments. So much for open discussion. 

But when some people asked if it's staged, why would the producers mute "keep my wife's name outcha fucking mouth!" both times Smith it? If they wanted to pull the trigger on this, this would've gone out uncensored or at least with a slopping bleeping. There was tension so thick in a room so quiet, you could hear a pin drop from outside the building. 

I hope all will be good between Rock and Smith. Their careers have taken some huge dividends (especially Rock's), and I bet so much will come out of this that'll affect them both. Sure, no one will want to work with Smith for a while, but he'll bounce back better than before, and will get more great movie awards and accolades (maybe BET will have him do and win something at their award show. They have a great record with black men who beat people or went to jail for stupid shit and still be seen as angels in their eyes (see Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Meek Mill).

Honestly, I did not watch this live. After the "We Don't Talk About Bruno" thing, I felt I was checked out and ready to hit the hay and accept that whatever comes after it, I won't watch live and appreciate what I did watch. Now? I take it all back and wish that I'd watch that slap live over Bruno. I could've gone my whole life not hearing that Encanto song and I would've been content. This, I would give almost anything to go back in time and watch it live not knowing what I know now and would've been as off-kilter as everyone else. And to those who say he overshadowed everyone else and their wins? You watched them win and you talked about them -- and admit it, you wanted to talk about Will Smith smacking Chris Rock much more. If you hate that that incident is overshadowing everything else, talk about the other moments more; they deserve all the praise they can get. But thanks to those newsmagazine shows and social media users over-dramatically intoning/asking if Smith overshadowed the rest of the show (no doubt doing it for views and clicks), we will never stop hearing about it for the next week or two, instead of giving the other winners their flowers just as much.  Thanks, you damn hypocrites.

And with that, that is all I have to say about my thoughts on the 94th Academy Awards. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, and enjoyed watching as much as I didn't. I'm Andrew... and it's just my opinion. God bless the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment