Wednesday, May 14, 2014

#MMay--#LSMR: #selfie

Ugh.

Well, every time I listen to the radio (which is rare these days) I do hear a good song and five relatively bad songs. And that's on the pop stations. Hip-hop has some too, but after that some good R&B songs come in with a couple hip-hop that i actually enjoy. The reason I type this is because these days, radio have been taken over by songs that basically become famous for being on YouTube; songs like Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, What Does The Fox Say? and currently Hello Kitty by Avril Lavigne. Songs that everyone of Mainstream culture (and half of the TV networks, especially ABC) will play over and over during commercials, scenes during shows, ect. whether anyone likes it or not.

One of those is a hit because of the popularity of the selfie--the practice of taking a random picture of yourself or you and some other people from a bad angle with your cellphone. It's a huge practice these days, especially on one's Instagram page and everyone's doing it; even I do it once in a while. So a group of guys deciced to take the selfie and turn its popularity into a song. And a very vapid song at that.
It's #Selfie by The Chainsmokers.



Okay. First off, this song has no lyrics to sing along to. It's just the words of some vapid obnoxious chick talking about some guy named Jason eyeing her while he's some other girl whose wearing cheetah. Jason must be a "I like you, but I'm using you for sex" guy. She then asks her friend if they'll go take a smoke. And thoughout the whole thing, she talks in a Valley Girl accent. I don't know is the whole club is themed like the high school movies the 80s, but that's what I get from this. And that's the first verse. So why is this popular? There's no way to remember these lyrics, unless you're diehard spoken word fan.

Now we've reached the chorus, which is just "(But first) Lemme take a #selfie". The beat is just like every other club hit, bumping bass, loud head-throbbing electronic groove and

Next verse, the girl wants to know which filter she should use to make her look tan: X-Pro II or Valencia.

Then she want to title pic, maybe "Livin wit my bitches (something else or other) :-)" Apparently I can't tell what she said because the music is too loud and the accent is a little thick. After that the chorus plays again.

And the third verse, Jason likes the pic, that rachet ho might've bought by Instagram followers, the girl has to puke (false alarm, she doesn't). They get shots, then they dance. Blah, blah, blah.

I'll just get to the point; I hate this song. It's loud, it ear-splitting, and it's so vapid, you might turn into a obnoxious, arrogant bitch just like the girl in the video. But...I believe that's the point. I think it's a satire.
It's a joke on those people who act those who go to clubs every weekend, acting like they're the life of the party, and take selfies of everything the see. It's mocking the people who act like that. Plus the video is a parody of such things, with some pics of some people and a few celebrities thrown in for good measure, because the Chainsmokers believe they are the icons of selfies.

Anyway, this song is good satire, I think, but very annoying satire, I believe.

See you guys next week for a much more likable song you WILL enjoy. I promise you.
See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment