Friday, May 30, 2014

#1SW: Dave the Barbarian

Welcome to 1 Season Wonder, a segment of Maroon Mondays. Here's how it goes.
I scour across the Internet and find TV shows with only 1 season, watch them, see if I enjoyed them, talk about them here and put them in a list of 1-Season Wonders. It sounds easy as it looks, right? No, you actually have to find these shows, watch through them hoping they're not as painful as they were the first time, and debate with yourself to see if it makes the list. If that sounds challenging and you want it that way, then let's do it.
Aaahh, the Medieval Times, where peasants live, dragons roam, denizens shop at he local mal--I mean marketplace, and one hero protects his city of Udrogath to stop the bad guys from taking it over...but he has to bake first. He's (and it's)
"Dave the Barbarian".

Created by Doug Landale, also creator of The Weekenders, another Disney animated series that I love to this day, Dave the Barbarian is the story of a Royal family in the city of Udrogath, King Throkmar and Queen Glimia, their kids Candy, Dave and Fang, their uncle Oswidge, Dave's talking sword Lula, and family pet dragon Faffy. King and Queen later leave town to take care of fighting evil from other places, leaving Candy in charge. Well, let's have the theme song explain.

(This video is part of a playlist that features all episodes, so you can watch as many as you want here.)

My God, I love this show.
The humor is awesome, its self-awareness is so thick, you can cut it with a knife. And yes, knives exist here. Speaking of, another reason I love this show, is because it doesn't care about historical inaccuracies. Anything from this and the last few centuries appear here. Yet you would be too busy laughing too hard noticing anything about it's anarchaic nature. All the characters are not paper-thin; they all have personality and likeness to them. Even the ones you didn't like had more to offer than others.

When it first premiered, I sincerly enjoyed the show. Even when in reruns, I enjoyed it. It was one on Disney Channel I loved watching...well, Besides The Proud Family, Kim Possible and That's So Raven. Even though I was a kid, I never cared for the amination the most. I loved the humor, the characters, the writing and the potential memes to come out of the show. Okay, maybe not meme, but you get the idea.
Why this show got cancelled in the first place is a huge mystery. I don't care if the content is too adult-focused for the kiddy-kiddy Disney Channel, despite the fact most of its shows feature adult humor some other shows probably won't get away with. And that's the point of the show and that's what makes it so funny. I can only wonder what would happen had the story continue into the second season (and maybe more). I blame whoever cancelled it; you better be happy to still have a job and give us some good DC shows, both live-action and animated. Whoever you are, you probably deserve the wrath of Chuckles. You know, the Silly Piggy!

Anyway, since it doesn't air on Disney Channel anymore, of course, you can find episodes on--uhh, that place with the videos and such. (I don't want the episodes of a show I truly like to be taken down by some @sshole from Disney. The people who uploaded them worked so hard to get them there, and they should be removed. People love these shows).

And that's why I chose these two shows. They're both funny in their own ways, I really enjoyed watching them, and I like the fact that I can watch them anytime I want on (that site) now. In fact, I'm watching right at the moment this post is released.

Favorite Character:

Main--Dave (duh). It's one thing to have the strength of Hercules, but to have the effeminate nature of Kronk added on to it is genius.
Recurring--Chuckles. Anytime he appears he steals the show. His words (and hamminess) is why he is so awesome. I don't care if he is a villain. He just rocks.

Favorite Episode:
I could say them all, but I must choose one. And that is...the one with the musical about meat. Forgot the title.

And there it is, Dave the Barbarian, the seventh addition of the 1 Season Wonder segment, added to the list of 1 Season Wonders and however chosen to cancel it, seriously deserves to get a beat-down from Chuckles.


Thank you all for joining me today and yesterday for this special edition of 1 Season Wonder. This segment will take a break for now, because three series joined the Hall of Shame this month in a schedule out of whack. 1 Season Wonder will return in July with a series featuring the fakest band this side of television...until one of the members got shot and died. It's just sad.

An remember if you have a series you love that only had one season under its belt, please tell me on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment