Wednesday, May 28, 2014

POST 130: #LSMR--Hello Kitty

Hey guys. Welcome to the fourth and final Long/Short Music Review as part of Maroon May. And today it's one of the worst songs this year (and not so far) and probably of the decade so far. Everyone hated it because of how stereo-typically Asian it is, who the video is screaming in color and stiff,
Well, yeah; this. It's "Hello Kitty" by Avril Lavigne.
Yes, it's really bad; surprisingly, it's not horrible as I thought it would be, because I've never heard this song before. But I do hate dupstep, so I definitely won't hear it again anytime soon. The word "Cupcake" is used in every other line in the chorus, and yet I don't have a craving for some. This crap sounds completely different from Avril Lavigne's usual sound; seriously, I've listened to her from my years of listened to pop radio (and Radio Disney; I admit), and I've never felt so disappointed in an artist to change her style in the wrongest way possible. (Even Madonna and Rihanna did it right.) And when she sing "Stay with Me" and 'Play with Me", I cringe like hell. Her voice just doesn't fit here. Japanese words are used, and other things I won't get into.

And even though this song is titled "Hello Kitty", the song has nothing to do with Hello Kitty at all, despite the title. I barely hear "Kitty" in there, but that's not important or worth it.

You know what, let's look at the video.

It's screaming in stereotypical Japanese culture. The "background dancers are just standing there like planks of wood. And when they move, they're like robots; inefficiently-working robots. And they're EVERYWHERE. It's like something of a nightmare...or an episode of Kim Possible. The only time they show emotion is when they saw a picture of them and apparently like it.

(In fact its the only part of the video I liked; it's the only part where there's no monotony, hyperactivity or stereotypes)

Candy, more candy, not Candy from Dave the Barbarian, and even more candy that'll make you vomit. And everything in this video is so flashy and bright and colorful that it would make even the animators of Phineas and Ferb and the producers of The Price is Right go blind. Even the black and white scenes are flashy.
Cupcakes on Avril's skirt, cupcakes on a stick; cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes!!

I'm not surprised this song is almost universally hated, and I'm really not surprised that it's a hit in Japan. Just look at this satire of Japanese culture from SNL and you'l see how engrossed some Japanese are with the bright and colorful.

J-Pop America Funtime Now! from Kenny G. on Vimeo.

I'm not hating on them for their life choices and I shouldn't judge them; their's is more exciting than mine. My current wallpaper on my phone is a picture of Dipper Pines in a lamb costume doing the Lamby Dance. Nothing gets more weird than that.

And there it is: This piece of crap that shouldn't have been made.
Thank you for joining me this month for a special edition of Short/Long Music Review with 2 good songs and two shitty songs.
See you next month when I cut it back to one.
Bye-bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment