Thursday, July 31, 2014

America's Got Talent Weekly Review: Ep. 1--Quarter Finals with Cheesiness-Part 1 Acts

Welcome to Maroon Mondays' weekly reviews of the Live Shows of America’s Got Talent. As with my reviews of Rising Star and So You Think You Can Dance, this review is (slightly) less professional than the those of the TV Show websites.

Hello, everyone. Welcome to the first review of America’s Got Talent's Live Shows of Season 9. Now, I wanted to do this because I wanted to do more of this reviewing stuff (which was fun, but I won’t give up the regular work and the Segments) and because I was giving on Rising Star. So I needed something better, and just in the Nick (heh; pun.) of time, this show came right in with its live shows. All the amazing variety of acts in different styles, competing for the love of America and winning $1,000,000 and a headlining show in Las Vegas. Couldn’t be any more fun to watch, right? Also because despite how lewd and gross he was in the 90s, Howard Stern is an awesome judge.
So let’s get it started.


First up on the first live show of the season, Sean & Luke. The two are tap dancers who’ve done so since they were toddlers and have done a quite impressive job since then. Now to the act, though. I thought they were really good, but I felt that they’re not great. The dancing was wonderful, but pretty basic. Plus, the ladies dancing with them and the lighting were a bit of a distraction. I did love the song playing in the background. This may have helped my perception of them a bet to their advantage. I do believe they can make it to next week, but not for the long run.


Up next, Valo & Bobby. A couple from Bulgaria, they are a strongman and acrobat stunt act. Immediately, the pressure and intensity were on high. During their act, Bobby holds a very tall metal bar with Valo in a circle on top. Almost immediately, I lost my breath.
Then she brought a BIKE. Intensity went to 11 and a half and I almost literally died. I prayed she wouldn’t fall, and thank goodness she didn’t. I did agree (a little) with Mel B. While she thought it was awful because she feared Bobby might drop Valo to her death, I thought it was awful because there was too little act to watch. I was impressed with the act, and hope they go through.


After that, Julia Goodman. Although she’s a soccer player by day, she's a singer by night and already impressed during the audition.
This week she sings “Iris” by the Goo Goo Dolls. Her voice is so beautiful; the low bars are amazing and the high notes were good. Although they were low, and I could barely hear her, and that’s with the volume up. Howard believes it wasn’t her best (probably because of nerves) and Mel feels she didn’t give it her all, despite looking stunning. I thought she did. She also does have grace and innocence, and I really like that.


After the 3-minute switch up, Baila Conmigo, a Latin dance troupe from West New York, NJ. Such a cute group of kids, they are. Their performance was amazing. Even with the strobe lights blocking the act, they were immensely amazing. And these are LITTLE KIDS doing these moves. Everyone put a lot of work into this dance, and it paid off in a great way. I loved it.
Mel, Howie and Heidi got excited at how fast the kids were and exasperated at how these dancers are kids. I find this one my Favorite Act of the Week.


Next, David and Leeman, a comedy and magic act. They’re basically doing what every other act did on this show. Perform a guessing game with the judges. First they take a picture of everyone and send it online. Then, they pull out the judges’ books, Howard’s Miss America, Heidi’s Heidilicious, Mel B’s Catch A Fire and Howie’s Don’t Touch Me. I won’t type in the rest because it’s tedious and boring, just like most of the act. It was boring and dragged. I was paying attention, but felt like wanting the two to pick up the pace. And the most laughter and amazement I got from this was the title of Howie's book. Seriously genius.


Next up, The Willis Clan. You can tell because of the name and their home life, they’re country mice of a family and a family singing group. They performed Huey Lewis and the News classic “The Power of Love”. Although I really liked it because of the song choice and their perfect harmonies and the wind instrumentation, it felt very low and quiet-like. Howie and Mel thought so, too. And Howard was rooting for them. On the side note, the kids dancing was super cute.


Later on, Flight Crew Jump Rope, a stunt crew involving...Jump Ropes. Their set also involves trampolines(!) and doing both at the same time(!!!). I thought it was really awesome. Their rope skills were stupendous, and doing the ‘trampoline and roping at the same time’ bit was every bit of perfect. They did not mess up nor disappoint.
Mel thought it was “OFF THE CHAAAAIIIINNNNN-UHH!!”


Next, Jasmine Flowers, an East-meets-West dance troupe. The whole entire performance was absolutely fantastic. The transitions, the techniques, the shapes and forms, the this and that. It was almost breathtaking. All of the group was amazing.
Mel went “Ah” (not in a good way) and called them “an acquired taste”, something not everyone would like, Heidi liked it, Howie enjoyed it, and Howard didn’t like this one as much as their previous performances. I don’t know about Mel’s opinion, but they were my perfect cup of Tea.


Emily West was next up to perform “Chandelier” by Sia. Emily has a perfect mix of Celine Dion and Shakira in her voice. I really liked that in her. Her arrangment was amazingly sultry and refreshingly sexy. Plus, she’s really hot for a middle-aged woman.
Everyone gave a standing ovation. Mel said “Wowzers!”, Howie called it the best performance of the night so far, Howard called it the best performer IN THE THREE YEARS HE’S BEEN A JUDGE, and Heidi loved it with no other words. I loved it too, so I also name Emily my Favorite Act of the Week.


Straight after, another strongman act, JD Anderson. At first we’re treated to him sushing in a tux, then rips it off and does his signature--breaking stuff with his body while looking like a reject from American Gladiators. He amazed me with that. Breaking baseball bats, cinder blocks and BLOCKS OF ICE while not bleeding (and he almost passed out from that) definitely deserves some love.


(This is the only video from the NBC-verified show YT channel.)
Dan Naturman. Another comedy act that acts more awkward and cringe-y than funny. He was funny, but wasn’t hilarious to me. He does have a funny-sounding voice, but is also irritating. He did have some good bits including the Canadian Prime Minister, Prevacid and the Health Care, but other than that, it was meh. Side-not, the song introducing him, "Baby Got Back", was inappropriate and corny.


Last but not least, the final act of the first live show of the season, Miguel Dakota. He sang The Beatles’ iconic “Come Together”. I love the vibe this one gives, like some Imagine Dragons-type performance, and it sounded like them too, especially the drum banging. His voice was also really good. He really made the song his own, something no one should successfully attempt with a Beatles song.
Mel and Heidi were feeling hot under the collar from this and Howie (@HowieMandel on Twitter) thought this could be a Million-dollar act. Howard, meanwhile, wasn’t impressed.

And now the first eliminations of the season.


Taking the spots in the the next round are:
Emily West
Dan Naturman
Miguel Dakota
David & Leeman
(Judges’ Choice) Baila Conmigo

Eliminated are:
Jasmine Flowers
Valo & Bobby
The Willis Clan
Sean & Luke
Julia Goodwin
JD Anderson
Flight Crew Jump Rope

I feel that with these choices that this is a really sad thing for me. I loved JF, JD and FCJR. They did so well to me, but it’s America’s decision and I must stick with it with the utmost respect and maturity. And yet, it still wasn’t fair!! I don’t like Dan Naturman, and David & Leeman are boring!! I’m so mad, really really mad!!!! But…
I must act like an adult, and finish the review.

Next week, the semi-finalists face off for out votes. Who will impress and shine? Who will crash and burn? And what tacky, flashy, pattern-y, Mariah-picked-it outfit will Nick wear next week? Find out this Tuesday, and tune in Next Thursday night for my review. And please tune in every Thursday at 9pm for my review of America’s Got Talent; I hope to see you guys then.
Goodnight for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment