Sunday, November 02, 2014

Andrew This Week: The Walk From Hell & They Guy Who Saved My Life

Hi, everyone. I'm Andrew and I a question: Have you ever had a bad day so bad, you have nothing to think but that it couldn't get any worse, but it does? Well, it happened to me yesterday, and as soon as I tell it too you (well, at least the first part), I wanna forget it for an eternity. But there is a silver living to all this, and it really wasn't all bad from there. And I'm entirely grateful to one guy who helped me out in a major and amazing way...If only I knew his name. Anyway, let's start at the beginning.

Every year in Philadelphia, there is a televised parade held on Thanksgiving. I signed up as a volunteer to handle a giant balloon with a bunch of other people. On the morning the first of November, the balloon handlers went to the studios of WPVI-6abc to begin training for the big day. On top of freezing-cold temperature and winds, it was raining. Bad. I had $13 in tow and some change, some of it for a SEPTA ride home (SEPTA is the transportation company that operates in Southern Pennsylvania.) Before I could begin training, I went to the Target across the street to buy a cup of coffee. They has a Starbucks there, and the prices were expensive of course, so I bought the cheapest cup they could sell. It was $3.19, with tax. It did taste good though. Anyway, me and the group of people I was signed up with (it was looong line) carried our practice balloon across part of the parking lot and it went by smoothly, and as this was my third year as balloon handler, I said so with pride and joy.

After the training ended, I went to the nearby Potbelly for lunch. I ordered an Original Grilled Chicken and Cheddar sandwich. The employee asked me if I wanted some Bacon on it too, and I said yes. (I may wanna mention that I asked if that'll cost extra and she said yes. And I said yes to the extra bacon) So I went to pay for my meal, and it came up to $8.16. I was shocked, because I barely had enough money for carfare. But i bought it anyway. (Hindsight Facepalm) (You may call me an idiot, stupid, dumbass or an even worse name in the comments section, on Facebook and on Twitter too) After eating my meal (which was admittingly delicious), I though long and hard about what I had to do next. so I walked across the lot where Potbelly was at on City. Then I walked across a bridge (a scary one, too) and walked on the other side. And from there I began what I would call for the rest of my life THE WALK FROM HELL. I though this day would go bad, but it didn't; it got worse.

I walked all the way down Monument Road, which was part of the 65 bus route, and watched cars go by like Soulja Boy's (who?) career. I feared the freezing cold temps, hard falling rain and cars driving with water spill at me would bring me down, but nope, I kept on truckin'. It was a very long walk on a very long day. I thought I'd die on the street, but it wasn't gonna be a possibility for me. I walked past the studios of 6ABC and NBC10, two shopping centers, three bridges, all the way across the campus of Saint Joseph's University and a large field. (Feel free to use Google Maps to document my journey yourself, it's quite jarring.)

After this, I had reached a virtual dead end. I stopped near a hospital in Montgomery County and looked for the next route stop sign; I couldn't find it, thinking I took the wrong turn). That's when my day went from worse to slightly bad. I saw this guy at this house doing outdoor yard work for a family (I didn't know what) with a red Ford F-150 Chasis Cab like this one
as his vehicle of choice. With not many options left, I asked him where the Transportation Center was; he didn't have a clue so he looked at his phone, to no luck because of the hard rain. I then told him about my situation (sans the sandwich and the evil bacon extra) and was desperate to get back home. He later gave me an option: to wait for him while he finishes his work and give me a ride home or take his directions and walk all the way home. It was obvious I made the right choice and did the former. He had 45 minutes of work quota left and let me sit in his truck for the time being. Unfortunately, his heating system didn't work, so I had to sit out 3 quarters of an hour freezing and shivering in pain. (But hey, I'd rather take that, and a ride home, than walk all the way home from freaking 6abc HQ in the rain with all my clothes wet and the risk of catching pneumonia).

So finally, after all his work was done, the guy and I began our long trek taking me home. To be honest, I had reservations about this guy; I had a few thoughts that he could be a rapist or child molestor or serial killer; but as you keep reading, you'll all read along with me that this is definitely not the case. As we rode down along the streets of Upper Darby, I find out that, had I chose to keep on walking, it would've taken me literally all day to get back home. And speaking of that, me and mystery yard-work driver were talking about this situation. He said that it would've taken me a "minute" to get get back to my house (a minute, of course, being a slang term for "a long time"), and I replied that it would've taken me "literally more than a minute", and we both laughed like kids. He then told me that I looked familiar, and he asked me if I knew some people like Black and CJ. I said no and that the only CJ I knew was from Tyler Perry's House of Payne.

So after a long ride, the guy told me he would drop me off at the local CVS so that he could replace the work trailer in the back of his truck with his cart (that and he has a wife and kids; he didn't want them to know about me, and I don't blame him). And there's when even more good deed come in. He actually not only dropped me off someplace to do something really quick, he also didn't leave me there and forget about me like an asshole dipshit parent leaves their child and abandons them. He actually came back for me! That is one sweet guy. After that we finally reached the home stretch (actually its just an elementary school I used to go to; it's down the street from my house). I thanked him for driving me back (near) home, and wished him Happy Holidays. This man gave up some of his time to help a stranger out and drive him home. I am forever grateful for a truly good deed and indebted to him.
Also, I'm never spending more money for extra anything on any fast-food item I'm eating ever again. After such a horrible day involving walking across part of an entire city, I don't think I'll ever like walking for a long time.

Guy, whoever you are, Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment