Monday, November 03, 2014

Surprise SLMR: Rude

Hey, you guys never thought another SLMR would come, right? Wrong, here it is. It's "Rude" by MAGIC(Explanationpoint).

Now, I know this song has been reviewed to death by other people, but I want to give it my spin because since I heard it, I began a love/hate relationship with it. Here are the lyrcs to prove it.

"Saturday Mornin'/Jumped outta bed/ And put on my best suit"
"Got in my car/ And raced like a jet (jet, jet)/ All the way to you"
--Well, I hope your love for this girl is worth speeding across town and potential jail time, but moving on...
"Got out the car/And heart in my hand/To ask you a question"
Aww, he's gonna pop the question!! How sweet.
"Cause I know that yoouu're/An old-fashioned man (yeah)"
Oh. So you're gay? And the old guy's gay too. How...quaint. But I applaud MAGIC(exclamationpoint) for doing a pro-LGBT song for-
"Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life?"
Oh his daughter! Okay, makes more sense and--makes me look like a homophobe...
"Say yes, say yes, cause I need to know"
"He said, 'You'll never get ya blessing till the day I die/
Tough luck, my friend, but the answer is NO!'
"
Ouch. Shot down. Oh, well. I would assume the rest of the song is about the heartbreak the dude suffers after that and a breakup with the girl--
"Why you gotta be so Ruuude?/Don't you know I'm human too?"
What.
"Why you gotta be so ruuude?/I'm gonna marry her anyway!"
Really?! Is the dude such a baby that when anyone take something away from him for a legitimate reason, he'll cry and call them rude? Wow, what a man-bitch. Wow, what a mitch.
The dad shot you down. He doesn't want you to marry his daughter. And he has reasons for that. Maybe you're a convicted felon. Maybe you're an illegal alien in desperate need of a green card. And your take-away from this is that he's rude?! Just because you're human, doesn't mean you can get anything you want. And the dad loves his daughter enough not to give her away to any man, especially a man like you! Or maybe it was the "best suit" you wore in the music video.

Ugh, that shirt. So 2009.

Anyway, he gets shut down two more times during the song, but apparently, he just doesn't get the point: The dad doesn't like him, and doesn't want him to marry his daughter. But he doesn't fuckin' care; he just wants to put a bad rift between a family by taking the daughter and takes her away from her parents, I do feel sorry for the parents. Even though the story stops at they running away to elopement, I hope they end up in a screwed-up marriage and that the parents cut her off until she comes to her senses and leave--
This is the part where I cut myself off and show another part of the song--
"Why you gotta so ru-ude"
Oh that's it? Okay. Anyway, to be honest, I find this song catchy, but the lyrics are horrible. There is no way anyone is going to like them and side with the guy. So what if he has undying love for the girl? He went against the word of her father, and defiantly marries her, and the girl went behind her father's back and runs off with the guy, destroying her family's strong bond in the process. I love the beat, which is a perfect authentic Reggae beat, but the lyrics laid over it are horrendous. I hope MAGIC! makes another song that doesn't portray the front-man as a defiant asshole,k because if I hear it and it happens, I will condemn them till kingdom come. Good luck, MAGIC!. You have till the next single.

See you guys...well, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment