Thursday, September 10, 2015

AGT X Weekly Review: Live Show and Results -- Semi-Finals Part 1 - The Weeknd Appecatn Hr



It's that time!! Yes, it's time for the big acts to show what they're made of once again. It's the Semi-Finals on America's Got Talent!! And of course this is my Review, so here's what went down.
And in another definition of "sad", check out the eliminations section later on for my thoughts. They may not be pleasant.

Ira (and Mama Miriam) kicked off the festivities with his covered performance of (assumedly) “Copacabana”.
I liked the story behind the performance: Miriam telling Ira the story of how she and his dad met. during some show, which Ira then takes from there in song. How lovely.


They got buzzed by Howard, who gives some good sound criticism, which I do agree with.
While they do have a good comedy routine going on in the taped packages, the performances they do is more-or-less the same. The same concept, the same types of music, and the same old persona Ira goes through. I haven’t realized this, but if they go through the same things over and over, I’d get tired of them.
I thought this was another really fun performance, but if they go through the same stuff, I wouldn’t be a fan of theirs (...again).
--
Mountain Faith Band has been one my favorites this season at this point. They took any song, and give it a sublime bluegrass twist, which give them an amazing charm and class. Which is what happened when they performed-- to my surprise--and of all songs--The Weeknd’s “Can’t Feel My Face”.


I enjoyed this performance, but I did agree with the How’s and Heidi--to an extent.
Face” has Abel reaching mostly high vocal ranges, something MFB couldn’t do. And if you’re a band on a stage like AGT’s, you have to step up your game and impress us even more. But, from all I heard of the genre, Bluegrass doesn’t have much high ranges. So I’ll give them a pass.
--
I did not expect Metal Mulisha Fitz Army to appear in the Live Shows. They are a great act, but I don’t them as one to appear in every act on this show. They have such breath-taking tricks and experience that I could see once, and then other people could see once. But hey, to each his own.


You know what, I was wrong. I enjoyed this a lot. The excitement, intensity and biking were awesome. These guys know how to do what they do and do it amazingly.

--
Samantha Johnson. Nuff said.
She performed “Earned It” by, you guessed it--The Weeknd.


It started off soft and delicate, but when the performance progressed, she took the volume up a notch, until she released the booming vocals we know about and love. She nailed it out of the park.
--
Derek Hughes returned. But not in a suit, but in pajamas. The reason for this, is because while he’s on the show, his kids have to go to bed. So to help enjoy their dad’s performance, and then hit the hay, Derek performs a story, in the twisted form of Humpty Dumpty.


Impressive. Even though I saw it coming.
This was great. The story was both sublime and humorous, Derek again showed amazing he can be as both a magician and a comedian.
I agreed with Mel in that the pace was slow and kinda almost put me to sleep (ironically or not, your choice). I also agreed with Howard in that Derek had range. He comes in, shows off something new, and still impresses and amazes us every time. That was perfect.
Dude is talented. Well done for him.
--
Drew Lynch is back.


And to my surprise...He was just great this time.
Although the laughing is a bit of a turn-off. Toes the line annoying and creepy.
I may have not been a fan of him and his content, mostly because his speech impediment was detrimental to his jokes, as I couldn’t understand them. Now, I can, and he uses his life problem to the jokes and they work to his advantage. I loved the subjects on bad phone connection and calling customer support. It was genius.

--
The CraigLewis Band.

They performed “A Change is Gonna Come” by the legendary Sam Cooke.


I don’t care if their only concept in their act is singing old R&B and Soul songs--they can pull it off!! And then some. The voices, the personalities, the techniques, the everything!! They HAVE IT!! These guys. Oh, Goodness, these guys.

Best Act of the Week, and one of the the Best Acts of the Season
--
Oz Pearlman took the stage for his next trick. This involve Howard, Heidi and beverages.
Heidi has to cover his eyes, while Howard is sipping drinks. Oz then has to guess the right drinks chosen by the judges.


For this one, I was a little bored of the presentation. But it was still great to watch.
--
Benton Blount was up next with this cover of “Fight Song” by Rachel Platt.


Although I don’t like song that much, I did like this cover a lot. It’s rough, rugged yet soft and tender. It sounds a bit like Chris Daughtry. And I guess that’s it. It’s only one compliment. Because he’s isn’t that great a singer to be one of the acts in the finals. He can using, but doesn’t have much of the excitement or wow factor to his voice or performances.
He’s talented, but it’s not enough for the whole thing.
Oh, and another thing: his being in the semi-finals has a good cause for celebration: Because he announced that he and his wife are having another baby! Congrats to the happy family for the wonderful addition to their family.
--
And now, one of the most mind-blowingly eclectic and electric acts of recent memory, SIRO-A.


This was a much better performance. It was slowed down and more simple, so they did so great this way. Plus, I love the song “Summer” by Calvin Harris, but thanks to them, I loved the instrumental even more, and this added to the set even more. There weren’t many colors, stripping down to sensibility, and it helped amazingly. I think that’s what the problem lied in their last performance. There was too much to go around, and too much
Siro-A is one of the absolute best acts this season, and their talent is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Consistently blows me away and promises me a great time. And I got one.
--
And finally, rounding out Round 1 of the Semi-Finals, one of the most cutest and talented young singers in AGT history, Arielle Baril.
She sang the aria "Nessun Dorma". She did great, but to me, it wasn’t her best performance.


--
Best Acts:
SIRO-A
CraigLewis Band
Derek Hughes

Worst Acts (more like who wasn't as great):
Ira
Benton Blount
Drew Lynch

And now, that the contestants have once again put their talents to the test, it’s time for America to test its collective minds in choosing the best acts to go through to the Finals. It's time for eliminations.

-I felt sad that Mountain Faith Band didn’t go through, but I didn’t have much emotion for Metal Mulisha Fitz Army.
OTHO, Derek Hughes was a great choice to go through. He’s funny as a comedian and fantastic as a magician. Good for him.
-Shame that Arielle Baril didn’t advance. Such a talented young lady.
Good that Ira didn’t go through. I enjoyed his act, but it wasn’t one that could have a Vegas show around it. Also, it would've gotten stale had it continued in the way it did.
For Oz Pearlman -- Meh. He’s a great mentalist, though.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!
Why did Drew Lynch advance!? And most importantly: Why did SIRO-A NOT?!?!
Putting them together proves my point. Sure, he was funny (to me) the last night, and he is an inspiration to people with speech impediments, but SIRO was MILES better than he was. The detriment was his laughing which was annoying to me. I think he could’ve had better odds going home than advancing.
It was a super shock to me that America chose Lynch over SIRO-A--or in a different way, chose him more than them. I’m sorry (not), but America got it wrong on this choice.

Are you kidding me?!?! Benton Blount over Samantha Johnson?!?
He’s a good singer, but he’s nothing compared to Samantha, who has one of the best voices on AGT I’ve ever heard. This was another shocking elimination.
Fortunately, there was a good thing coming out of this--CraigLewis Band is Advancing!!!
Thank God, because they deserved to move forward.

So in the end, let's recap:
Leaving:
Mountain Faith Band
Metal Mulisha Fitz Army
Arielle Baril
Ira
Samantha Johnson
SIRO-A (WHY?)
Moving On:
Oz Pearlman
Drew Lynch
Benton Blount

Well, this was a shocking week for eliminations, but I wouldn't say I'm surprised. I loved some of these acts, but others have either stepped their game up or are super popular (or both). So, if anything, it was interesting to see my faves go home while those I like less are going through. Oh well, to each his own.

Suit Up! with Nick:
This week was something like between Heaven and Heck with Nick's wardrobe.
On Tuesday, he stepped into the rafters in a black 3-piece with a striking Red tie to complete. Just perfectly devilish.
But on Wednesday, he switched it up and brightened everyone's night (even brighter than the stage) with a White blazer and matching shirt and fedora. Now, that's what I call "Heaven losing an angel". Seriously, nice one, Mr. Cannon.

Next week, the Semi-Finals end with the last group of 11 acts vying for the last five spots in the Finals.
I'm fearful of who it will be. I'm still furious that acts like SIRO-A, Samantha Johnson and Mountain Faith Band aren't advancing, but yeah, things change.
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment