Tuesday, September 08, 2015

So You Think You Can Dance Review: Live Shows Episode 3 -- Touching & Writhing (Top 18)

Welcome back, everyone to my Review of So You Think You Can Dance--The Live Shows.
Last week, the first dancers from the two Teams have been eliminated, beginning the painful, surprising process of quickly saying goodbye to our favorites before the affiliates run their classic “It’s 10 O'Clock. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?” ad before the News at 10 begins. Of course, this will continue, so prepare your “Au Revoir”’s before the top story of the day getting repeated.




This week’s Group Dance looks like a reject song and dance number from the remake of Footloose (it’s not a bad thing). I really enjoyed the guys more than the girls, as they did more other than shutter a fan, writhe, look sexy and grind on their opposite sex counterparts. My stand-outs were Virgil, Neptune and Edson. These guys had my eye and I enjoyed their touches in this dance. Other than that it was a good Group Dance. Not great, but good.

Now that the usual is out of the way:
Cat revealed result for which Team Dance won a popular vote by viewers. Team Stage won for the second time in a row, by 56% of the vote. Whoopie, but I thought Stage did the better this time.

Now let’s get into the dances:
Starting off is Stage’s Alexa & Derek and Street’s Jaja, cutting up a Jazz routine by Stacey Tookey.
Let me repeat that, they were cutting up a Jazz routine by Stacy “Ahh Ahh Eee Eee Tookie” Tookey.


I don't have to tell you how interesting it is too see an animator dancer like Jaja perform a dance that involves opening your soul and baring your feelings. But sure enough, I’ll say she (along with Lexi and Derek) did an awesome job! Everyone did very great with this dance, I certainly felt the emotion from it, and everyone threw their passion into it, plus they told a real good story that you don’t have to follow hard for. I wholeheartedly enjoyed this dance, especially with Jaja’s participation. It was a brave step, but she did it very well.
The girls were safe this week, while Derek was also safe. Yep, doing the same thing Cat did--but I don't have to build suspense for something to read.
--

Coming up was Street-er Megz teaming with Stage’s Jim and Moises for this ditty by JaQuel Knight. But to me, it wasn’t really dope. I really enjoyed the energy going on, but the moves and footing were really basic and sloppy. All of these dancers were very amazing previously, but this effort was not impressive. I can do these moves if I was as coordinated, and get the same reaction from the crowd. “Whuteva”.
-Come on, folks. You’d figure it out from last week that Jim was safe. Megz is also safe,
while Moises was in danger. Stay tuned for the results.
--

Edson is a part of a triangle with Street’s JJ and Yorelis. In their Jazz dance choreographed by Tovaris Wilson, Ed is is major flirt around the girls, frist grinding with one and then getting steamy with the other. I will say first that it wasn’t my favorite dance of the week, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. The fun bouncy vibe was real cool, I loved the lighting on the Set's walls, and hearing Sam Smith’s “Restart” as the song made it little more better. Everyone did a good job, and Edson had some sex appeal, but I’d be creeped out to even tell you about it in the first place.
Also, the use of a whip sound effect was really fucking corny. Close to annoying, even. Not Johnny Test annoying, though.
-And just like that, Edson may be close to flipping, spinning and whipping away from the competition, as he was in danger. OTHO, the girls were safe.
--

After that, Street-er Asaf and Stage-r Marissa met up for a cha-cha by Jean Marc Genereux and it wasn’t instant chemistry. I like the quick speed of the movements, and the physical attraction was undeniably hot. Overall it wasn’t great. Asaf was way off his element and his performance made it terrible. If it wasn’t for Marrissa, it would’ve been worse.
I’ll also say that at first, I thought the dance went a little longer than usual, for some reason.
-Asaf was in danger, while Marissa was safe. I’d say that was pretty expected but satisfying nonetheless. Sadly, this was from last week’s dance.
--

Later on, Gaby & Burim and Ariana converged for this African Jazz jive by Sean Cheesman.
This dance was mesmerizing. Watching the three do their moves in such a ferociously sexy way was burning hot. Also, a point of reference: their costumes. What in God’s name are those? It’s like I was looking at an imitation of a spider for a school interpretive dance recital. But this dance however is not like that. It was crazy entertaining and a joy to watch.
--A shocker here. Burin and Ariana were in danger this week, while Gaby was safe.
Burim sure has grew with his talent this season and has impressed us more and more.

--

Now that the dancers have potentially proven themselves once again, it’s time for their teams to converse once again in this segment, The Team Dances.

Team Stage hit the stage first with this beautiful routine by Jaci Royal.

And wow, I was blown by this one. The choreography was spectacular, the emotion and intensity by the dancers was perfectly felt, and the . Also, that moment where two of the male dancers dragged a female dancer (not in a bad way) across part of the floor left my jaw dropping. That was cool. All in all, a fantastic Team Stage dance.

And in the opposing corner, this week’s Marty Kudelka-created routine by Team Street.
My favorites were Virgil, Ariana, Yorelis and Jaja. And that spin Virgil did was nice. I don’t think that’s true, because there are other great dancers than just him, but it does make sense because he is one of the best Street-ers around.

All in all, it wasn’t the best. The movements of the dancers felt mismatched, some of them looked real awkward (especially Asaf; seriously, why is he still here?), and it wasn’t as exciting as it was supposed to be. At least in comparison to Team Stage’s dance. They did their best but it wasn’t enough to reach the best spot.

I guess I can see why Team Stage gets the popular vote every next week. They do a better job than Team Stage.

And now, eliminations.
But first, the dancers who did not live up to viewers’ exceeding expectations:
Moises, Edson, Asaf, Burim and Ariana.

Safe:
Edson
Asaf (UGH) and
Ariana

Eliminated:
Moises (Stage)
Burim (Street)
Such a shame for both dancers, as they have improved in their styles and techniques since the beginning. I don't understand why they left, while Asaf stayed. He whines, tries to get his way and does terrible with his dancing. He was so good during his audition--what happened?

Anyway, this was another solid week, but I hope the next few weeks will be better. Thanks for joining me here, and I’ll see you guys soon. Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment