Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Toony Tuesday 2016: Danger Mouse (2015 reboot)


He's the greatest! He's FanTAStic! Where ever there is danger, he'll be there!
He's the ACE! He's AMAZing! He's the smartest, he's the bravest--he's...
a little different.

Yep, the world's best secret rodent spy has gotten himself and his show have gotten a major makeover. But is it hit with me? Will I like it? Will the world sit through yet another 1,000-plus review with a bunch of sentences and crappy humor before finally implying that I like it? Short answer: Yes.

Before I get to my thoughts on this new Danger Mouse, he's a Cliff-Notes--like course on the original Danger Mouse.
Airing from 1981 to 1992 and created by Brian Cosgrove and Mark Hall for London-based Thames Television, Danger Mouse is an animated series that parodies the spy fiction genre in which a mouse, Danger Mouse--along with his trusted-yet-cowardly sidekick Ernest Penfold, fights crime and saves the day from the evildoers of the day, including (and most especially) the sinister-and-strained throat Silas Greenback.

I--at my age at the time--became a huge fan when I first discovered the series on YouTube a few years ago. The humor, half quick and sharp and half silly and surreal, was just brilliant. And the voice-acting propelled the brilliance higher than what was possible. Even the animation, as weak and fuzzy as it was, was as great; the limited scope still feels expansive. This series spoofed the spy fiction genre to perfection, starting with the heroes and villains all being animals, the use of a pillarbox as DM and Penfold's HQ/home and many moments of Braking the Forth Wall between the characters and the narrator, himself a great element with his haminess and comic seriousness of his dialogue and character.

Everything about this series is awesome and makes it awesome. It's no wonder that it's become a beloved piece of British television (both animated and in general) and is a cult favorite in the rest of the world. Which explains where we are today.

This is the 2015 reboot of classic 80s animated series Danger Mouse.


Danger Mouse 2015 S01E01 Danger Mouse Begins... by GodsParents

Okay, where to start here?

I really like this...and I KINDA don't. There is so much I enjoy about this new series, and some things I could do without at first.

When a reboot was announced back in 2013, I kinda rolled my eyes. It's clearly a part of the nostalgia boom and only served purpose to not create something entirely new and original. But at the same time, I was somewhat optimistic. I wold love to watch a Danger Mouse series while I am alive, and I think it could introduce children to a classic franchise that's beloved for many reasons.
It could work very well. And it does. In some ways.

The characters are a different in personality from the original:

Danger Mouse isn't as much of an Ace anymore, as he is now a little more absentminded and clumsy, and like to showboat when on a mission. At times it's funny, while in others it's plain annoying.
Penfold, while still a little cowardly, is more resourceful and timid. While cool, it's kinda sad that I really miss the old PF, as he was hilarious for being dim scaredy-cat.
Colonel K is less out-of-it.That's cool; he was really irritating at times. And Stephen Fry is voicing him, which is a huge plus.
Baron Silas Greenback is no longer a Brit, as he now dons a German accent and has the title 'von' added to his name. He's otherwise largely the same, which is great.
His henchman Stilleto previously donned an Italian accent, but now slips one in under a Cockney accent. I don't mind this; he's still a funny henchman
And if that wasn't enough, there are new characters created:
-Professor Squackencluck: chief scientist of the secret service, and probably the niece of the original Squackencluck. She's smart, works well with her hands and brain, and she's kinda hot. She doesn't have as many funny moments as the guys, but she can hold her own really well.
-Jeopardy Mouse, an agent working in America, and DM's female counterpart.
-

The voice actor cast for the new Danger Mouse is completely revamped.
Alexander Armstrong voices DM, Kevin Eldon does Penfold,
Stephen Fry (!!!) is Colonel K, Ed Gaughan is Greenback
& Dave Lamb is The Narrator and Stilleto (ironically not voicing DM too, but Stilleto)
(along with Shauna MacDonald as Niece Prof. Squakencluck and Lena Headley as Jeopardy Mouse)
While saddened that most of the original cast has not returned for the new series (understandable that most have probably died or retired), I believe this new cast is just as great as their predecessors. Considering I've seen works by some of them before (Armstrong hosts BBC One's Pointless, a brilliant game show [please check it out]), so this show is in good hands there.

The animation is much more sharper, clearer and colorful than the original. I originally didn't enjoy it at first (mostly because nostalgia), but now I love it! It's animated at Toon Boom, and they did a wicked good job. Honestly (and ironically), I thought it was made in Flash, but the producers have said using it is too limited (don't blame them).

The jokes here feel a little different (new writing, duh) but otherwise carries on the spirit of the original. It's not as whip-smart or hilarious as the original, but it's really funny on its own right, and that's what counts.

I really enjoy this new Danger Mouse and I hope you will too.
While it airs on CBBC in the UK, it's an Exclusive Series on Netflix here in the States.
There are a few places to watch it too.

For now, I'm Andrew, and I'll see you next week for another Toony Tuesday review! Probably Peanuts or a Throwback. Or both, I'll shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment