Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Grammys: TVs Most Boring Night

Hi everyone. Andrew here once again.

The 55th Grammy Awards were on this week...and boy, was I bored.
I missed about the first half-hour, which featured a performance by Taylor Swift. She said the "spoken word" version of the song in a British voice as a dig at her 15th ex, Harry Styles. The performance used both stages, which I found unfair that the 2 half-stages could've been used for an older or legendary artist. I'm glad I didn't see the performance, because I wasn't having it with Taylor because of her songs of breakups and the famous guys she dated for 2 months when she could've dated one guy that she felt was right to settle down with. The performance was wild and weird (I only saw pieces on TV) and looked like a circus. I can't say more, because I didn't watch the whole thing and isn't planning on watching either.
The next performance was by Ed Sheeran who performed "The A Team" with legendary singer Elton John. Unfortunately I didn't watch that either. So on to Fun. who performed "Carry On"...which I didn't watch, as was the performance by Miranda Lambert and Dierks Bentley; they sung a medley of "Over You" and "Home".

I didn't see Miguel's performance of his nominated song "Adorn" with Wiz Khalifa live, but did get to see it on YouTube. It was 2 minutes long. 2 minutes. Why was this performance this short? Were the producers thinking that there wouldn't be enough time in the whole 3.5 hour show for this to fit in full? It seemed like it. What ruined it was when they just walked through the audience and reached center stage. It was also ruined by Wiz Khalifa just being there, who I assume was on the remix (if there ever was one). This dude just did not need to be there. And him saying "Yo" and "Yeah" a lot really didn't liven it up. Despite these reasons, this is the one reason I'm mad at myself for not watching earlier. Boy, I'm hoping BET has him perform this song more longer at this years' BET Awards (and probably without Wiz).

Next was Mumford & Sons, who performed "I Will Wait". The performance was good and, since I heard the song for the first time, I thought it was good too. But what made me remember it best was when the band performed in front of big, bright lights, which made me turn away a few times. It was good to watch and look, but wasn't great.

Next was Justin Timberlake's triumphant return to music with his hit "Suit & Tie" and new song "Pusher Love Girl". The performance was as black-and-white as...well, anything in black-and-white. I first thought that Justin was singing too hard, but it was his mic that was the problem, as I barely heard what came out his mouth. Ditto for Jay-Z; everything was weak and quiet. But the setup was beautiful. And I loved the performance of "Pusher Love Girl". Just Justin moving around and dancing in front of an orchestra is fine for me.

Maroon--heh heh--Maroon 5 sang "Daylight", a song I thought is a wonderful song that I'm glad isn't another poppy dance tune that barely sounds like them. The setup was greatly executed (the band in front of clouds) and sounded great live. Then Alicia Keys pops up and preforms the overly-used-but-loved-so-much "Girl on Fire", beginning with her on drums like she's Sheila E. Also beautifully executed (singer in front of ambiance), both artists performed their songs amazingly...until they mashed. That's when the piece dragged down. I liked it at the start, but disliked it at the end somehow.

Rihanna was up to sing "Stay" with Micky Dolenz. I sorry, Mikky Ekko. Why this dude is named that is beyond me. Anyway the piece was dark with Roman columns and both performed beautifully. It's just that it was boring for me. Riri just stood in the middle while Mikky sat on something. So they sang great, but everything else was not.

Later The Black Keys sang "Lonely Boy" with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Dr. John. This was one of the few great exciting pieces of the entire show. So great don't have anything else to say. Seriously. Nothing. Later on Kelly Clarkson sang a tribute to Patti Page and homage to Carole King. Let me just say that she slayed the mic...and the stage...and the songs...and her inebriation. She was drunk earlier but sobered up quick.

The Lumineers performed "Ho Hey". I admit the song is slow and boring...so was the performance.
I don't know who Jack White or his songs are, so I can't say anything about his piece.
Okay. Carrie Underwood. Her voice. That dress. Oh God, that dress.

Then Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, and Kenny Garett performed a tribute jazz legend Dave Brubeck with his song "Take Five", one of the best jazz songs ever. Another one of the great few. And later, Elton John, Zac Brown Mavis Staples and Mumford & Sons made a great tribute to legendary rock artisrt Leon Helm. It was beautiful, full of heart and perfect to say "we love you" to one of the greats.

Juanes performed "Your Song". Never heard of him. Frank Ocean performed "Forest Gump". The setup saved him from an otherwise bad performance. And host LL Cool J joined Travis Barker, Chuck D, Tom Morello and DJ Z-Trip for a tribute to passed-on Beastie Boys member Adam Yauch. It was perfect and shows that LL Cool J should stay as a rapper.

He sucked as a award ceremony host and, from what I heard, should host again.
So the Grammys were worse than last year and should be better next year.
That's my review, and I'm going to bed.
Good night, everybody.

Anyway, it got boring from when I first turned CBS. Almost every performance was making me ready to sleep (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment