Monday, June 30, 2014

My Rant on the BET Awards

Instead of releasing a review, I instead will give you guys a short rant about this years' show and the BET Awards in general, and what I feel about it. This isn't from watching the show last night, because I couldn't; it's from the tweets and FB posts all over the Internet. That's what made me write this post.And yeah, I may be whining and all, but this was on my mind and I really wanted to let it out, so...

Before I get into this later, I need to mention the crap about last year:
The awards presentations were really long and dragging very quickly. I don't know who thought it was a great idea for the presenters to come out on stage and talk some boring shit and then announce the winner, but you should be fired or demoted. Your work there was shit. You should not let one actor praise a young actor while he praises you for the same thing; it's basically "I'm proud to share the stage with you" over and over, you shouldn't let an actor do perverted dancing and act lustly with your co-stars, and you definitely should not let Kevin Hart scream "TURN UP!!" over and over and then getting into a fake fight with someone. It shouldn't take a full 1-2 minutes to do that. And it annoyed me to death. Whoever produced this years' show, think about your choices before bringing them to life. Because I can change the channel to Rising Star next year if I have to (and if it comes back, too).

Also, don't you think BET didn't put as much promotion or awareness to this year as it did last year? I barely saw any bilboards, bus ads, TV spots or any other promotions for the show. Fortunately, because of my knowledge that the BETAs are usually held in late June, my love of Wikipedia, and that I still watch 106 & Park (yes, that's still on the air.), I had my fill of what's happening this year (sadly). Other people, not so much. I've read on the social media sites that people barely noticed the BETAs were going to even air. So because of this, and the frustration over the shitty half of last years' show, I had less interest in this show than I did in years' past. Also because the same old performers came back and no excitement. Even the CMT Music Awards has more excitement than this, and I'm the only one in my family who watches it.

Let's start with Best New Artist. I fucking hate August Alsina. He sucks, his voice sucks, his songs suck (one of them I reviewed earlier this month), and all I find about him suck. I know I shouldn't rip on the poor boy, but I will anyway. I think he doesn't deserve the Best New Artist award. I don't find him talented at all. I thought Ariana Grande should win, but knowing the BET Awards, I felt sad to know that that won't happen. Because she isn't black and isn't well liked by the core demographic, Ari doesn't stand a chance of winning. But I see BET pushing this guy to super-stardom too fast. And that's evident by the fact that they wanted him to be in the main show, instead of the Pre-show, where heavyweights like Rick Ross, DJ Khaled and Yo Gotti performed. Despite the sex appeal he has (and I see little of it), he ain't that talented.

Now to Best Female Hip Hop Artist: I'll put aside the ranting on Nicki Minaj winning again, because I'm not gonna waste time or lose sleep over it. We all knew she was going to win again. Not because she's the best (Eve is better than her, and I do like Pills N Potions a lot), but because of the fact that she kept winning year after year that it get just unbearably annoying. And that there was no clear competition. Also, the fact that her fans just think that despite the chances of her losing are 100 million to 1, they still act like it's slim pickings out there, hope and pray to God that she wins, and (when she wins) they act like Jesus came back to Earth. Get your head out of your asses!! You should know at least 2 years ago that she would win hands down. It's dull, boring, and isn't worth anyone's time anymore. And the way BET moved this up to the end of the broadcast while Video of the Year is the fourth award given is unbelievable. Also the things she said when she won the award were basically a slap-in-the-face shade thrown at Iggy Azalea. Nicki, you won an award, don't start a beef with someone who just so happens to have 2 monster hits on the Billboard charts. She'll mop the floor with you. And being the winner 5 times in a row, you never had competition, so you automatically won the perform, and you act shocked when you win. But when you finally have good, worthy competition, you throw good, hard, brutal shade at Iggy (despite the fact that you said it wasn't.), it made you look like straight-up not-so-humble bitch. The next time you win (which I'm calling--she's winning next year, too), BET will finally come to their senses and dis

Also, I feel the BETAs have gotten more racial these past few years. (I don't care if you call me a racist). Only black artists sing and black actors and musicians appear to present awards. There are barely any white actors or musicians doing anything and no one of other ethnic groups appear at all. I know this is BET and they representing and pleasing their core audience (and a very brainless one at that), but if even The NAACP Image Awards have white, Asian, Latino people appear at the show and have some nominated, maybe you should cut the bullshit. Only few white musicians won a BET Award (the last being Macklemore & Ryan Lewis last year, and even that wasn't shown on TV) And the way you go about it is just plain cold.

Plus, the fact that Chris Brown keeps appearing every year. It's fine if it's two times in a row, and I'd be fine with three times in a row, but this is just ridiculous. He just left prison on a probation violation. It just shows you how well and how long BET will keep kissing his ass so he can keep performing at the BETAs. They say it's a surprise he performed, but it's a surprise to me that they keep having him perform over and over. I know that he has hits, and I like some of them, but it's annoying to me.

I also wanna mention that I felt that when Iggy Azalea performed, I could barely hear her. Call me crazy, but while I can hear everyone else loud and clear, I thought she barely went over the backing track. The reason I thought this is because that this was done intentionally. Why? Well, I can't explain it, but that's all I have.
Also, everyone was bitching when she did her set, saying they can't hear her and that she was lip-synching. Your volume was probably down. But you can clearly hear her voice overlapping with it. You're just whining that she's there.

And that's all I have to say, because I'm not watching the BET Awards anymore if I have to subject myself to more of this shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment