Monday, June 09, 2014

75th POST of 2014--SLMR: I Luv This Shit (remastered)

Welcome to Short/Long Music Review, where I find songs (I either love or hate) to review them in a short review that took a long time to write and edit and re-edit before releasing it.
If you just looked at the title and recognized the song title
I originally did an SLMR on this song last year along with "Tapout" and Sean Kingston's 'Beat it".

http://maroonmondays.blogspot.com/2013/07/slmr-i-love-this-shit-beat-it-sean.html


I really didn't like this one and I never listened to it again...that is until May 14, when nominations of the BET Awards were announced, when the song's artist, August Alsina, got 4, including Best New Artist and Best Male R&B/Pop Artist. That made me get a little angry. I thought it wasn't fair that some guy that had one song on radio get a few nominations just because it became a hit a certain way. So after hearing that, it made me rethink the review and that I should do a much longer one with lyrics shown and a dissection of them plus my thoughts thrown in, because the first time wasn’t enough. So here we go; here's a song about drinking, smoking and fucking that just might drive me to drink, smoke and fuck (and not in a good way).
Once again, it’s “I Luv This Shit” by August Alsina featuring Trinidad James.




Wow. This dude wasted no time starting off with the title being repeated over...and over...and over again.

"It's 2 o'clock and I'm faded/this cush feeling amazing"
--Blah, blah, blah--generic shit about drinking and smoking. NEXT!
"Got a voice mail on my phone/from a little breezy feelin' X-rated"
--I didn't know Chris Brown was into dudes now. Must be the Oz package he got from his trip to jail. But no, that "breezy" is some bitch he wants to bust a nut with. How cute.
"I'm in the car and I'm swerving"
--WHAT. What did you say earlier?
"It's 2 o'clock and I'm faded/this cush feeling amazing"
--So, you're already drunk and high, yet you have the gall to drive to some woman's house?! (who doesn't give a shit about you outside of your money) What the hell is wrong with you?!? I hope the “amazing cush feeling” and “faded-nes” is worth potentially crashing into cars and other people, risking your life and the lives of others in the process. Because, there’s nothing better than being a danger to society while under the amazing feeling of cush.
"I walked into her bedroom/I put it down that's certain"
"Man I stay on that Ciroc/Man I stay taking shots"
--Wow, you sure must remember what else to do during the day besides all that, like eating, breathing, your family and "friends" and, oh yeah, being aware that drinking alcohol and smoking weed can kill you!!
"Man your girl be on my jock"
--Thank you for mentioning what many rappers and singers have said many different ways over.

(I have a lot to say about this line.)
"Maybe cause I'm everything you're not"
--Okay. So, August, just because you see a dude with a woman he loves you think is the perfect target for a little hokey-pokey session later on, that doesn't mean you have the right to go up to them, take the girl, and leave the man heartbroken. For all you know, this dude loves this woman unconditionally, treats her right, doesn't hit her, and wants to spend the rest of his life with her. He also probably loves his family, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink excessively, drives carefully, and is an all-around nice guy. This also applies the other guys like him (well, except Eliot Rodger, of course.) He also might have a black belt in kung-fu and can kick your ass in a street fight.
Meanwhile, just from the lyrics I've heard, you smoke, you drink, you fuck women you don't love or even respect, and just sing about in a stupid, generic song that just so happens to be a hit. Just like every. other. stinkin'. male. black. artist. in music. You know what? You're right, August. Maybe it is because you're everything I'm not. Thank GOD I'm nothing like you.
"See I ain't no bitch nigga
--But you sing like one though.
no rich nigga
--Stop lying, jackhole.
No snitch nigga
Wait until one of your homies gets arrested, and see what happens. Really.
Ima real nigga/that's real nigga
--The more a black rap artist says they're "real", they don't prove if they're what they are, because what they do is stupid, what they own is probably illegal, and there's a chance that they'll go to jail for those things. I think I see why they though. Prison changes a person, especially a nigga.
I'm just trying to chill cause"
Sure, what you call chilling, I call a death wish.

"I'm way too drunk to be talking like this/
I'm way to be high to be trippin' like this/
I'm way too young to be livin' like this
"
--So, if you're young enough to not do this, why do you do this do this crap in this first place??
"Ask me why I do it?/I’ma put it like this/God Damn it" (I should say "Goddammit")
"I luv it, I luv it
I luv it, I luv it

--Umm. Can you give us a more detailed re--
God damn it I luv it
I luv it, I luv it
I luv it, I luv it
"
--So that's it? You smoke so much that you trip, and you drink so hard that you flap like Martin Qwerty...because you love it? You don't care that you're young and have a high chance of having kidney failure, or crashing into another car on a random day and giving cops a field day during the sobriety test? You just love it.
Let me get this straight. While he got four BETA nominations, based one single, Ariana Grande has only one nod and she had four singles (Huh, quite the contrast.) And I think she is light-years better than him; she has 4 singles out, and 3 of them are huge hits above the Top 40. Why does she not have as many noms as he does? Oh that's right, because she's not black and is in a tough category. To me, August doesn't deserve the Best Male R&B/Pop nom if anyone thinks he just as good as Pharrell, John Legend, Justin Timberlake or even Chris Brown. And speaking of Brown, his song Fine China was nominated for Video of the Year, yet came out in March 2013; it shouldn't have been nominated a full year+ after it was released. I wish Ariana wins Best New Artist.

I said previously that I liked August's voice, but now I don't; it drags on, it irritates me, and his voice isn't that great, but it is good enough for a Chris Brown wannabe. And when he says I Luv It over and over in the chorus, the way he says it makes me want to bash my head against a wall until my ears bleed.
And now let's take it to the featured artist, Trinidad James--oh God. Let's get it over with.

"What you know about love/ well, love know about you"
--I don't know a lot about love, just that there's kissing, sex and buying a girl a present more than once a year. And speaking of "Love know about you", I actually dated a girl who's last name is Love. She knew a lot about me more than I knew about me. Because of that we broke up, and because she talked about marriage too early, and I threw a red flag.
"When I try something new/You refuse to believe that my love is true (God damn)"
--Oh I see, a girl who's smart enough not to fall for the crap Trinidad (or any other guy) is playing. And Trin here isn't acting like a horny asshole like August was earlier.
"So I use all I got to prove to you/But the proof ain't enough so you move onto the next dude like
What he gon do? (ha!)
"
--So here, Trin says he'll do everything he can to keep the girl he loves, before she leaves and go over the the guy with the Dreamworks smile and the bulging pants. That's...surprisingly admirable. Already, Trinidad James, Mr. "Gold-all-o'-my-chaaaiin" has really good lyrics and a nice message about monogamy in this song, something August doesn't have in his; and he has two, along with the annoying broken record chorus.
"I don't understand these girls (girls, girls, girls, girls)/
I don't understand these girls (girls, girls, girls, girls)
"
--Oh there it goes again. But I'll give this a pass, though.
"Looking for a real nigga/Like in all the wrong places
And all the wrong ways/They don't care, they don't change
"
That is smart; telling girls that finding a man isn't always great. But they don't care because because they want the D instead of the H (Heart that is.)

"She gon do what she want/And that is okay
--Not really. The best a girl can do is reject me in a classy manner; the worst a girl can is bang me and I find out that I have an STD.
And he gon do what he want/And that is okay
--Almost nothing a guy can do with a girl involving sex and liquor is okay.
I said I luv it, luv it, luv it, luv it (luv it, luv it)
--Stop it!!
He nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing about it
(bangs head)
Lil' BITCH!!
--Classy.

And after that, another piece of the chorus. and that's all I got to say from here.
These lyrics are extremely sexist and stupid. I was kinda hoping this would be a parody song; I'd definitely laugh at that. No, it's legit, and everyone loves--I'm sorry LUVS this shit. (And I'm not saying "Shit" like it's good; it's "Shit" as in--well, you get the point.) I was surprised to like Trinidad James's lyrics. Sure they sound out-of-place with the beat, but they do pack in insight on what doesn't happen when some dick picks up some other dude's girl, I kinda like it.

Tune in next time for me to give an original review on a different song. Billboard, don't fail me now!!
See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment