Tuesday, November 24, 2015

SNL 41 Review: Episode 6 -- Matthew McConaughey and Adele



Oh Adele, have we missed you.
After three years of being dormant--and your music still being played fondly to the returning sounds of our pathetic cries, you’ve returned to the sound of loud, audible cheers from everyone all across the world. And then came “Hello”, another brilliant song about love, heartbreak and pain. And now, you've returned to SNL after seven years, leaving us mesmerized by your beautiful voice and your real, powerful and tear-jerking music.

Oh yeah, and Matthew McConaughey is also returning to Studio 8H as well, making his return well over a decade since his first gig back in 2003. He's the host. (yay.)



Fox and Friends is back!
I’ve said it before--I LOVE this sketch. The sketch’s members play up the supposed lunacy of the real co-hosts and the political ludicrousness and all-around foolishness of Fox News itself to maximum laughs. I don't think this was stronger than the last edition, but it's up there with it.
Also, it’s sad that their usual fact-check graphics didn’t appear again--instead using Leslie Jones as a human fact-checker, but because this sketch appeared again about a month after its last. It would be impossible for this to happen again so soon. All in all, another great edition of the awesome sketch we all know and love to mock.

And now...



Mr. Double-M himself came to the stage for his Monologue. And let me tell you...at first, it was boring. (...boring, boring). While I was expecting something probably funny, I got something more autobiographical about time after college, before he started his career. It was nice to hear about a piece of his life before his acting career began, but I mostly expected something funny--which I got, but wasn’t much.
It wasn’t bad at all, i just thought it wasn’t one of the best. So, yeah, I wasn’t paying attention.
Also, I’m pretty sure the audience wasn’t probably paying attention either. They just wanted hear him to “Alright, Alright, Alright” like it’s his new catchphrase.
And I realized that was what he was talking about. I wasn't paying attention. Let's just say it stuck after Dallas Buyers' Club and call it a night.

The Sketch After takes place at a blues music club I assume is in Memphis.
From there, three things come to mind:
1-Kenan’s got some pipes. That can’t be denied.
2-This reminds me of that Rock Band sketch from Episode 4 that sucks ass
3-This couldn't get worse from there.
But it didn't.

This sketch was pretty funny. While members of the band had horrible lives and scream about it, Bobby just says mundane, not-at-all crappy things that happened to him. It wasn’t laugh out loud, but I did laugh; it was still funny. Also, since he’s rich, shouldn’t he help out his band, since they look like they lost their jobs as licensed hobos?
--
It’s Thanksgiving, and one family comes together to enjoy dinner. But things go bad when the members begin to squabble about the topics of the week. That is until the little girl plays the one thing that can bring them together: Adele’s “Hello”.

I swear, as the first note played, I started laughing my ass off.
This was absolutely genius. GEN-IUS! Combining the usual family chatter of Thanksgiving and the one musical artist (most of) the world will using together to, and gradually turning it the song’s music video makes it my favorite Pre-Tape of the season so far.


Thanks, Adele.

A photo posted by @adele on

She says “You’re Welcome”.
--
At a technology conference presented by Bio-Print, the people in attendance are in the presence of what could be the first human male to be made entirely out of a 3D printer. It’s clear that the choice really is their's.

This was another solidly funny sketch. Matt had the right everything going on playing the 3D Printed Man; voice, mannerisms, movement, IQ points an artificially human piece of plastic and color can possess, ect. Perfect execution of the character.
I loved when he danced like he was having an orgasm on a trampoline.
Also it was infuriating at first to watch people just watch the guy give himself away. That is until I realized that they had to; how else will they throw in the jokes?
This was a another good sketch, I enjoyed it.
--
This has to be the most actor-appearing skit I’ve seen this season. And it’s hilarious.
JJ Abrams treated us to screen tests for the most highly-anticipated film of the decade, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Many celebrities came out to audition for roles...and knowing this show, it's what you expected.

It had special appearances from Emma Stone, Jon Hamm, the film’s stars John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, and even George Lu--
--ehh, never mind.
This was just perfect, and like the sketch from last season,

It made us even more excited for the seventh film of the beloved icon of film franchises.
Thanks, SNL. Again.

Fave Lines:
Hurry, the ship’s leaving!” -Daisy Ridley
YEESS!! WE NEED TO GO TO SPAACE!!” -”Sofia Vergara”
-
Uuuuggggghh” -”Shaquille O’Neal”/Chewbacca (just the delivery)
-
Of course there is a light-saber, y’know; but maybe he’s coming from here. (points to crotch) BUUUZZZZ” -”Javier Bordem”
-
What exactly am I to do with this?” -”Dame Maggie Smith”
-
[...]I don’t know if you saw the film Aloha, but I can play a convincing half-Asian woman.
-Emma Stone
-
(“David Beckham” kicking the BB-8 prototype)
-
basically every line by everyone not the casting director or Daisy Ridley.
This Pre-Tape is just brilliant.
--
“Should You Chime In On This?”
This new game show features three brain-dead contestants being asked to discuss hot-button topics, and
Should I Chime In On This? Hell Yeah! This sketch is corny! (buzzer!) It’s not very strong! (buzzer!) And it tried too hard to be funny and controversial, but it couldn’t!

There was so much to harp about its crappy premise.
First off? Allen DeGeneres?? The hell are they kidding?? Second, when they brought out Kate McK as the special guest, they should’ve had her play Ellen, but no, she had to slip out Hillary once again. I usually enjoy Hillary Clinton, but this time is a big no. And back to Allen, if they really wanted to make the joke happen, they could've had a white male cast member play him to make it less nonsensical (I’m sure Taran wasn't busy).
As for the writing, it was absolute crap. I wanted to laugh, but I couldn't because the jokes felt more nuanced than it needs to be, the performances by the cast isn’t as funny as it was to be, and and I resonated more with the silence in Studio 8H between lines than with the cast and lines themselves.
This is obviously the worst sketch of the week for me.
--
The Five to One Sketch is a straight second. Although there are some good chuckle-worthy jokes from it.
A meeting in a small town has been held for voting towards a new Amtrak train line. But one wants to stop the preparations. By insulting the council members.

This wasn’t very funny. Plus, not only did sound boring, it felt boring too.
I did laugh at the hand thing.

--

Adele.
I could just leave her name as my review of her performances, but then I want to actually say something.

Because of her worldwide re-excitement in regards to her third album 25, NBC execs had the bright idea to rope her into four appearances on the network throughout the next two weeks, performing on this show, The Tonight Show, the Today show and a special program the Peacock network produced just for her airing on December 4, Adele Live in NYC.
So, yeah...this has to be a big deal. And it was. That’s why it was great.

First off, “Hello”, the song that caused the world to collectively piss itself...and then gasm after it’s release.

And finally, “When We Were Young”, another 25 song I love and should get at least half of “Hello’s” success. This is the first time I got to hear live, and I’m so glad I did.

It”s more simple and calm that the more powerful Hello, which I loved.
It also has a perfect vintage 70s and 80’s R&B/pop sound to add with the concept about romance and nostalgia (thank God for the oldies station I occasionally listen to for the reference!) and the part of the background singers singing the title gave me good vibes about the good times when I was a kid. (God I miss those times. I swore I almost couldn’t see the screen through my tears.) I love this performance and this song, and I feel like I have to play this a million times when this is all over.

Both of her performances were just simply beautiful. Hearing Adele’s voice live is like the sweetest orgasm, it’s coming, you enjoy it and you want more. And when you have more.

So yeah, we knew she would give us a performance to remember, and she still didn’t disappoint. What with her star power bringing in this season second-highest ratings, this only makes sense. Who knew that her first appearance seven years ago (in the same episode where the real Sarah Palin got mocked by Tina Fey’s impression) would help her become a worldwide sensation?

Time for an Update:
Part 1:

Part 2:


Okay, I have enjoyed Jost and Che a little bit more. They did much better sharing a joke than doing their own thing. Also, Michael flubbed a couple times, which annoyed me a lot, as they were open and noticeable. Made me enjoy Colin’s dull demeanor much more, surprisingly.
(And makes me realize that could be the joke in the first place here.)

The jokes on the debate on Syrian refugees, Jost’s riff on a pharmaceutical company changing its name (along with Boko Harambien) and their Thanksgiving switch were very funny and well-written. Plus, their jokes on Bobby Jindal, new apartments for Mexicans and Jared Fogle going to jail was bold, at least if the boos from the audience at that last one are any indication.

During a segment, the Update guys welcome a child for their “Anchors of Tomorrow” contest, star of the Disney TV-movie “3-2-1, Recess”, Laura Parsons.
My first thought: What is this? And who come I haven’t heard of this?
What network is this movie on--Disney Junior? And how great is Vanessa Bayer playing a child?
That is until I realized all of this is fake. All of it. But it sounded real. This is really funny.

First off, since Kenan looks a lot like Dominican-American Ortiz,

so he pulled off the look very well.

Second, the spanish accent and spanish stereotypes sound so overblown, I thought they might as well play “Cha-Cha” by D.R.A.M. in the background (by the way, the song is like the guy pulling a Rachel Dolezal for his love of Mexican stuff. Seriously, it’s really strange between the lines). But Kenan’s performance was the best, and did make that understandable, and thus makes this segment so enjoyable. This is the best part of this edition and the best segment of the season so far.

Best Bits:
Religion and Hats
Thanksgiving Switch
Jared Fogle Sentencing (“How did you think that was gonna end?” -Che)
Laura Parsons (“And Speaking of boys...Jared Fogle”)
”David Ortiz” (“You can go to ‘wubba-u wubba-u wubba-u--go outside--punta--whynot’...”)

This was a more solid edition Update. I enjoyed the jokes, most were as strong was previous weeks though, a few maybe even more.

Wraparound:
McConaughey wasn’t that great a host. He didn’t have much of a range for his characters; some sounded like the same person--a Southern white man with a cowboy voice and charm. It’s like he’s a sauver version of Andy Travis, but with none of the MTM humor around him. And while he did have some great one-lines, they didn’t add up to a performance of the episode I could remember.

Meanwhile, thoughts on the cast were all over the place.
Some did good, while others didn’t do good enough.
Taran Killam did great with his roles, especially as Cory in “Right Side of the Bed” (seriously, I enjoyed that) and Steve Doocy in “Fox and Friends”. Good for him, there’s a week where I’m not annoyed with his large presence. (actually I’m not at all this season, but I’m pointing it out now)

ConcluSLoN:
This week’s show wasn’t great. It started off fine, and then slipped in quality. And it wasn’t a gradual slip. This happened after a really good Update, and stayed under par until the end. Whatever was good wasn’t great, and what was bad really was. Chalk it up to the audience--and also me--not reacting well to the jokes (not their fault; they were crap), the content not being as bold as it thought it could be, and the performances not having enough hamminess (or in Kenan’s case, not at all) to make it convincingly funny.

It is obvious that it is now one of the weakest episodes of the season (and maybe the most disappointing), but I’m not sure whether to put it above or below Donald Trump’s Episode 4. Yeah, there were a few good laughs from it, but there I knew it would be a disaster. Here I never expected such, and ended up sad. I will say it’s on the same level as Episode 4, and won’t be an episode I’d watch all the way through.

How Was the CO?
Not a Fact-Checking Nightmare (aka Really Good)

Best Sketches:
Blues Shack
3D Printer Man
Weekend Update (it’s a sketch, so yeah)
Honorable Mention:
Right Side of the Bed

Worst Sketches:
Should You Chime On This? (tried so hard to go far)
Amtrak Town Hall Meeting


In two weeks, tune in for the first December episode of Season 41, Episode 7--hosted by Hollywood genius and hottie Ryan Gosling, with music from who I believe is a relative unknown Leon Bridges. (I swore I thought he was an old white man. Must have been thinking about Leon Russell). Meh, I just usually watch to see the awesome Christmas decorations look every year.
Oh well, have a hugely wonderful Thanksgiving, and I’ll see you on December...uhh.
Well, I’ll see you soon after that. Happy Turkey Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment