Thursday, December 31, 2015

SNL Review: Ep. 8--Chris Hemsworth & Chance the Rapper

(Before I begin, I want to apologize for releasing this and the next SNL Review later than I should have. I wasn't in a state to post or even write anything at that time, and I felt bad about doing so, so my apologies. And now...)
WILL FUCKING FARRELL!!!!!!!

I’m sorry, lemme compose myself.
The CO is all about George W. Bush riffing on the bunch of clowns fighting the fake fire in the big top Carniv--uhh, Republican Presidential race.

It was great to see Farrell return to Studio 8H, and as one of his most impersonations. He didn’t miss a beat, ripping into the candidates in his own Dubya humor, and it was brutally glorious. From the moment he walked on stage to a huge applause (which I loved; the gasps from audience members really gave me goosebumps) to saying the catchphrase, this
Also, that nice little mention of The Fugees’ classic “Ready or Not” as his campaign song was awesome. (I wouldn’t mind anyone using it; it just fits that way.)
This is the best, sharpest, and most brilliant CO of the season so far. Which is ironic, because no current cast members appeared in it.

Fave Lines:: ALL OF THEM. But some highlights
“The field of Republicans out there is so messed up, that it makes me figure that you miss me, doesn’t it?”
“Dr. Ben Carson. I can barely hear him when he talks.”
“If you’re injured on the job, please call Rubio & Cruz!”
“When I’m in a bad mood, I just picture his big, fat, orange Oompa Loompa face that I just pissed my pants.” “It’s like saying ‘Let’s keep the Leprechauns out’”
“Jeb. Oh boy. Poor Jeb. You gotta admit, it’s a pretty good plot twist that I turned out to be the smart one.” “I don’t like the taste of broccoli. But it doesn't get any tastier if you call it ‘Broccoli!’.”
“They want someone who’s cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.”
--
In his second monologue, Chris Hemsworth mentions how he’s gotten more at home since his last gig NINE MONTHS AGO (really; do they love him, because that’s surprising to bring someone back for Round 2 not even an entire year after the first.)

This wasn’t that funny at the start. He might feel at home (like an asshole at that), but I didn’t feel at home watching this. It did get funnier when he reaches backstage--here are a few of my favorites: when he rudely hangs up a call Kate McKinnon made (to Hillary Clinton), his harsh pass of an apple to a scared-as-shit Beck Bennett, and especially him coming close to “playfully” rumble with Leslie Jones--and her close to rumbling for real (“You touch me, and I’ll beat yo’ ass, Chris”), and when he knocks papers off the hands of Weekend Update co-anchor Colin Jost. He picks them up...only to have them knocked off again by his co-hort Michael Che.
All-in-all, this was a pretty good monologue (it was way more entertaining than his last Mono, so I’ll give it that).
--
The Sketch After is from Fox News’ On the Record, where host Greta van Susteren (Kate McKinnon) talks with the three best known Republican Presidential candidates not named Donald Trump--Sen. Marco Rubio (Taran Killam), Gov. Chris Christie (Bobby Moynihan) and Dr. Ben Carson (Jay Pharoah)--with their thoughts on Trump’s recent proposal of banning Muslims from the US and his shenanigans throughout the campaign season. They say nothing.

Ehh. This was a pretty funny sketch. Everyone did great performances here, but the writing behind it wasn’t belly-laugh-ish. I still enjoyed it though, simply.
Also, Hemsworth doesn’t appear here.
--
This Pre-Tape was a scary one. Trust me. I’m not squeamish toward blood, but the quick cuts at Polaski’s injury had me nauseas for a few seconds.
Police Sergeant Polaski is one of the best in the Department. But after a horrible shot to the abdomen, he tries to continue his life...and his refusal to take care of his injury decreases his love of taking down bad guys...and his life.

This was hilarious and enjoyable. And although I came close to puking a few times, I really enjoyed it--especially the increasingly stranger back-and-forths between Hemsie and the still underutilized Sasheer Zamata’s characters.
--
Brother 2 Brother Too: Wrestling Meet
Oh, brothers!” ”Oh, Gods.
You know, I didn’t like this sketch the first time, and I still don’t like it now. And thanks to Episode 2, I like it even less.
In this showing, Matty and Marky are into academic trouble again. This time Matty doesn’t want to do a wrestling meet, so (surprise, surprise) Marky takes his place. You can guess things don’t go well...again.

This was a creepy one.
I know this is a gym, and sometimes guys feel okay talking about and comparing their bodies physiques and shit. And I know this is parodying Disney Channel shows. But...it’s not funny. Hell, I got more enjoyment from the tattoo on Taran’s chest. (which is nice.)
There was a chuckle-worthy part where the coach keeps on comparing Marky and Matty’s physiques, and then when they do the “disappearing trick”. Also, I snickered when Hemsie slipped into the door when he entered the gym set. That’s it. This skit was shit.
--
This next sketch is really odd, but I’ll give it props for funny and not being “Brother 2 Brother”.
At a Christmas party, a couple (Cecily and Hemsie) entertains their guests with some classic Christmas songs, but the party goes a little south when they play a song that isn’t very receptive.

I’ll say this a better sketch. the first watch wasn’t fine for me because I still reeled from The “Oh, Brothers” Show. But I kinda enjoyed it with rewatches.
I really enjoyed Cecily’s singing (sounds great for Broadway), and the reactions to said song from everyone else. Also, it would’ve been a little better if they still didn’t know about it; would’ve been funnier. Also, the dangerous drive in the snow was really funny.

Also, unintentional glitches and gags.
-First, a lamp’s light goes out before “Dan” (Taran)’s hand even reaches the switch.
-this little failed camera angle switch (When “Dan” says “What’s happening?!”)
-and, Hemsie was hamming up his pretend-piano-playing, and it clearly showed. In fact, looked less like he was playing it; it looked like he was fucking it. It’s actually cute.

So yeah, I liked this.
--
At a brunch date, some girlfriends are talking about some of the favorite movies that that have hot men in them. One of them keeps talking about Chris Hemsworth and his titular role in Thor. Because she IS Chris Hemsworth.

I couldn't see this plot from a mile away. I can see it from TWO miles away. It was very funny, though (especially the moment when female Hemsie was revealed and when “she” said “Am I right, bitches?”). The only thing that dragged this on was the fact that “Claire’s” friends are too slow to catch on to the fact their “friend” is Hemsworth. Only a couple sessions of them questioning “her” would’ve been enough, but no, three was great for this.
Other than that, this skit was very good.

Fave Line:
Am I right, bitches?” and
Ehh, Liam is gross! I heard he was breastfed until he was four.” -Hemsworth
No! This is bad, and you’re weird now.” -One friend/Aidy
-
I don’t know what this was about.

This wasn’t very funny. But at least Rudnitsky gets some screentime, and it did good enough to keep it from getting truly detestable (that dance is nice)--good for him. Also, I enjoyed seeing someone swing on a rope in the studio. And it has a nice setup. Yeah.
Fave Lines: “I’m Mark, and I keep things fun”
--
I really didn’t like this one either, but it was better to me.
A group of male dancers entertain the ladies at a strip club. Unfortunately, these guys are supposed to be dancing for the GUYS...at a GAY bar.

There wasn’t much for me to love. I did find the comments from the female customers pretty funny, but that’s all.
I assume my writing here was more funnier than the sketch itself. If so, good. This wasn’t funny...at all. I bet even the audience had a hard time laughing at this, too. I mean they could, if they weren’t laughing like hyenas in the other sketches too. (I honestly believe either they genuinely found it funny and I didn’t, or there’s a laugh cue card somewhere in the Studio)

--


I’m gonna guess that a majority of you guys don’t know who Chance the Rapper is.
Don’t worry, I’ll fill you in. Chance the Rapper...is a rapper. There you have it.
Sorry, I kid. He’s a rapper from Chicago who’s actually really good. From the few songs I’ve heard of him this year, he’s quite the lyricist. He has a weird demeanor when he spits and has some really quirky rhymes, but those quirky rhymes are really witty dope. If anything, he sounds like better Lil Wayne than Lil Wayne (at least post-Tha Carter III). Trust me, listen to his guest verses on Justin Bieber’s “Confident” and Action Bronson’s “Baby Blue”, and you’ll leave enjoying him and laughing. That tities line and the lines makes me chuckle every time.

So his performance on SNL had to take his career to the next level. And he killed it.
His presence was a true sight to behold. I enjoyed every second of it.

Somewhere in Paradise” is a really good song, with witty lyrics and a just-as-quirky performance from Chance. And although I was surprised by Jeremih making a guest appearance singing the chorus, he wasn’t half bad. It kicks up to a fun and exciting modern-day gospel or matching band-like vibe thanks to fellow special guests The Social Experiment. As soon as it started, I knew I would love this one, and I did. While this was a great LIVE performance, It’s just not as great recorded; Jeremih sounds frickin’ terrible, the beat sounds like one you could make on GarageBand, and Chance sounds more creepy and high than quirky and weird; really distressing, even with a rather nice short appearance from R. Kelly. But I’ll say that this live performance here is miles better.

The second song, “Sunday Candy”, is just a joy to watch/listen.
It’s about his grandmother, who is a strong Christian woman who loves his grandson as much as Church, as he loves her, and he tells of her life in his goofy/witty lyricism.
I loved this one. It’s a beautiful dedication to the woman in his life who works hard in her life and gives him joyous, memory-filled weekends when he visits her. Hearing this warms my heart, and give a lovely message: Love and appreciate your grandma, because she loves and appreciates you for what you do in life.

The Social Experiment are a fantastic band, and they did a spectacular job with Chance, making these songs, already great on their own, FANTASTIC. Everyone here did a fantastic job with their positions: Loud, brash horns and amazingly powerful guitars and beautifully voiced background singers enhancing the songs and made them spectacular experiences.
They’re certainly a band to check out.

I love this performance and even though I never gave him a chance until “Baby Blue”, I will say that this rapper is one I think will go down as of the best rappers of the 2010s so far. Please go check out his music; he’s that damn good. His mixtapes #10Day and Acid Rap, and his album Surf with The Social Experiment are available wherever digital files and/or physical copies are sold.
--
Time for an Update:
Part 1:

Part 2:

Jost and Che killed with the bit on Donald Trump’s comments on an immigration ban, proving that after a truly terrible start, they actually have committed themselves to trying harder and it worked.
-

Kate McKinnon stopped by the desk as German Chancellor Angela Merkel, giving her “reaction” to Time magazine naming her Person of the Year for 2015. Pretty much, this segment was so hilarious. Her responses to the painting of her in the cover

(which I also think looks creepy and a little haunting) were sharply sidesplitting.
(“This is like a pile of oatmeal with two blueberries for eyes.”)
Her reaction to Donald Trump calling its choice of her as PotY were also very funny.
“I guess he prefers our earlier stuff.”
I think this was one of the best segments of the entire season. All of Kate/Merkel’s lines were brilliant satire, and gives her yet another memorable performance for this season.
-
Leslie Jones made yet another return, giving her thoughts on the nominations of this year’s Golden Globe Awards. She’s pissed that Breaking Bad isn’t nominated...despite the fact that it ended 2 years ago.

This was also a very funny segment. While her one-liners weren’t as sharply written as the Angela Merkel segment, they were still very funny in the usual “Leslie Jones yelling like a rabid dog in heat about random things” spirit.
“You better get yo ass in the room and juggle them balls, bitch!”
“All I need if an emotional white boy. You wanna be my Jesse, Jost?”

All-in-all, this was a very strong edition this week. A lot of satire hit and hit hard, especially during their shared slam on Trump’s racism. We need more Colin and Michael working together. The chemistry (yeah, I said that) and performances are way more stronger than we ever thought and has taken the segment from the weakest part of SNL (good or bad episode) to one of the strongest. I’d never thought these two guys would make Update enjoyable and actually funny again, but they did it. It obviously took a year or so, but yeah..

Best Bits:
Well, all of them.
Especially their debate on whether or not Trump is a racist.

Really, their being together--it works that way. Just sayin’.


Best Sketches:
Debra’s Time
On the Record
Brunch

Worst Sketches:
Brother 2 Brother Too
Pirate Ship

Best Pre-Tape:
Both
Time to Bleed
and
Star Wars: TFA Commercial
(would’ve added Aron’s List, but that was a repeat, and I already did the last time, so no seconds.)

Wraparound:
This episode was really mixed. The jokes were really weak in some places and strong in others, at least in my reception. But the performances really make them at least palpable.
Chris Hemsworth actually got better than last time. His acting in his first episode was pretty weak, even for a first time. Here, I can actually see he’s gotten an improvement. And it even looks like he’s enjoying himself, too. And I did enjoy that too. The first time, admittedly, I wasn’t enjoying this episode a lot because of the fact that Hemsie and the writing sucked the last time. But here, the writing has vastly improved, and
The cast did great alongside him. Especially Cecily Strong, who gave the most memorable performances in the “Debra’s Time” sketch (She can really using, too), and Kate McK, especially in On the Record and Update.

I admit, I honestly hated it when I watched it live, but it genuinely grew on me after repeated watches. So now kinda really liked it. It's not great (and I was surprised when a lot of commenters on AV Club thought so), but it's not horrible either , especially compared to his first time hosting. I'd watch this again, but maybe occasionally.

But this episode I'd binge-watch (if that was possible).

If Tracy Morgan was the host we were waiting for when SNL returned for Season 41, then these two are the next ones. Yep, ONES. Coming up soon, I present my review of the 41st Christmas episode of SNL, hosted by two of the best female members of the SNL family ever--Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Seeing Fey return to Studio 8H during Morgan's episode was a super-sweet treat, so her host (along with Poehler) was like the whole smorgasbord of candy. And making the episode even more awesome is the one and only Bruce Springsteen and his iconic E Street Band. I certainly couldn't wait for him to perform any of his/their songs, especially their rendition of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town", so this was extra special.

I apologize in advance for releasing this reviews late, for reasons I cannot explain, so thank you for your patience in reading these at the end of this year.
Thank you all and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment