Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards 2016 Nominations: My Thoughts (Yeah, I'll Still Be Watching)


Hey everyone! Andrew here with some exciting (late) news.
The nominations for the 29th annual Kids' Choice Awards have arrived!
They were announced this morning, and I checked them out. Of course I was flustered and angered, but I was also surprised and happy for a few nominees (including one that left me lockjawed and crying for joy.) So I went to the website, and checked out which actors, shows, movies, athletes, books and games lucky enough to be chosen this year. And SpongeBob. There are also a few new categories this year, and they bring some new confusion. So let's trek into them with my opinions, shall we? (The noms I chose to win are in bold.)


---

TV

KIDS' TV SHOW:
Austin & Ally
Girl Meets World
Henry Danger
Jessie
Lab Rats: Bionic Island
The Thundermans

This was very striking to me. Four Disney Channel Shows nominated along with two Nick shows. Either Nick has loosened up more by adding more Disney Channel shows for some type of truce, or because they realized that their shows suck donkey nuts and just chose the two most popular shows (which, in my opinion, are the worst). Either way, it's kinda refreshing (and kinda depressing) to see this regression of this here category.
 (A&A won last year, and I was happy about that)
--
FAMILY - SHOW:
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD
Modern Family
Once Upon A Time
The Big Bang Theory
The Flash
The Muppets

All but Agents of SHIELD and Big Bang (and probably Flash) are family shows, but even so, I really don't think these feel like shows for the whole family.

I WANT TO WIN: Anyone but The Big Bang Theory
I THINK WILL WIN: The Big Bang Theory
---
These next four nominees are kinda new. These are categories for actors in both TV Show and Family TV Show. No more one Actor and one Actress categories. I think it's a good idea and gives actors a better chance instead of mushing the four cats" together into two.

MALE TV STAR - KIDS'
Aidan Gallagher (Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn)
Jack Griffo (The Thundermans)
Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally)
Jace Norman (Henry Danger)
Casey Simpson (Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn)
Tyrel Jackson Williams (Lab Rats: Bionic Island)

It's sad that I think the better actors are from the Disney shows.
Thank the Nick shows for being so crappy.

I WANT TO WIN: Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally)
I THINK WILL WIN: Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally) [he won last year; he could win again]
--
MALE TV STAR - FAMILY
Anthony Anderson (Black-ish)
Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory)
Grant Gustin (The Flash)
Ben McKenzie (Gotham)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
Rico Rodriguez (Modern Family)

It was hard to choose because all of these actors are great performers from shows that are varying degrees of great. But my definite choice is Rico Rodriguez.

I THINK WILL WIN: It's too close to call.
--
FEMALE TV STAR - KIDS'
Dove Cameron (Liv and Maddie)
Lizzy Greene (Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn)
Kira Kosarin (The Thundermans)
Laura Marano (Austin & Ally)
Debby Ryan (Jessie)
Zendaya (K.C. Undercover)

This was also a hard choice. All of these actresses are very, very talented and their shows are varying degrees of...good. But after a choice between Dove Cameron and Zendaya, both in my favorite DC shows right now, I chose Zendaya because she's more than just a very talented actress.
But I'd be very happy if Laura Marano takes the award this year as well.
--
FEMALE TV STAR - FAMILY
Chloe Bennett (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory)
Sarah Hyland (Modern Family)
Jennifer Morrison (Once Upon a Time)
Sofía Vergara (Modern Family)
Ming-Na Wen (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

Ehh...if Kaley Cuoco wins this one, this'll say a lot about what Nick considers as family shows. And what families watch at a certain weeknight.

---
BOOK:
Diary of a Minecraft Zombie
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
Harry Potter series
The Hunger Games series
The Maze Runner series
Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need To Know

I've only read the first Hunger Games books, one Harry Potter and a couple Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Both are great franchises, and I've really enjoyed the experiences.
This is one of of the few categories where I'm very happy one of the nominees wins. Because it shows that many kids are reading, and that these are some of the books  they're reading, and that is awesome.
--
VIDEO GAME:
Disney Infinity 3.0
Just Dance 2016
Minecraft: Story Mode
Skylanders: SuperChargers
SpongeBob HeroPants
Super Mario Maker

I don't care about this one; I'm as not as much as a game as I was when I was a kid.
So I won't care which wins this one. I did choose Disney Infinity 3.0.
---
TALENT COMPETITION:
America's Got Talent
American Idol
Dance Moms
Dancing with the Stars
The Voice

This past season of America's Got Talent was amazing. So much great talent and surprises. So I'd definitely choose this. Still very puzzled as to why Dance Moms is also nominated, though.
--
COOKING SHOW:
Cake Boss
Cake Wars
Chopped Juniors
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
Hell's Kitchen
MasterChef Junior

Hell's Kitchen? Yeah. I curious to see how the show will go with this one.
I love Cake Boss and D,D-I and D, but between the two I chose Cake Boss.

---

MOVIES
-
MOVIE:
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Cinderella
Daddy's Home (why?)
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
Jurassic World
Pitch Perfect 2
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Great picks of movies this year. Especially those released by Disney. I'd say one of the Marvel movies could take this, but my money's on The Force Awakens.
--
ACTOR:
Chris Evans (Steve Rogers/Captain America), Avengers: Age of Ultron
Chris Hemsworth – (Thor), Avengers: Age of Ultron
Chris Pratt – (Owen), Jurassic World
John Boyega – (Finn), Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Robert Downey Jr. – (Tony Stark/Iron Man), Avengers: Age of Ultron

Will Ferrell – (Brad Whitaker), Daddy’s Home

Hard to tell. But I'd put it between John Boyega and Chris Pratt. So I chose Chris Pratt.
-
ACTRESS:
Anna Kendrick – (Beca), Pitch Perfect 2
Daisy Ridley – (Rey), Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Jennifer Lawrence – (Katniss Everdeen), (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2)
Lily James – (Cinderella), Cinderella
Rebel Wilson – (Fat Amy), Pitch Perfect 2
Scarlett Johansson – (Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow), (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Also hard to tell. All of these ladies are very talented (give or take Rebel Wilson), so I just had to choose someone to get to the other categories. It's Jennifer Lawrence.
-
ANIMATED:
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip (REALLY?)
Home
Hotel Transylvania 2
Inside Out
Minions
The Peanuts Movie

"So yeah. Even though the film is only 35% CGI-animated, we're still gonna nominate this film because it still has animated chipmunks in it." Really stupid decision here.
Also, I only watch Home, and even didn't even watch that though that wasn't great.
-
VOICE/ANIMATED:
Amy Poehler – Joy (Inside Out)
Jennifer Lopez – Lucy (Home)
Jim Parsons – Oh (Home)
Justin Long – Alvin (Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip)
Sandra Bullock – Scarlet Overkill (Minions)

Selena Gomez- Mavis (Hotel Transylvania 2)

I don't care much for this one. So I just close my eyes, and picked a random one.
I don't know, and I don't care because the next category is...
--
CARTOON:
The Amazing World Of Gumball
ALLVINN!!! and the Chipmunks
Ninjago
Phineas and Ferb
SpongeBob Square Pants
Steven Universe
Teen Titans Go!
Gravity Falls

Yes, this actually happened. This is not a dream. This is not a typo. This is not intentional to show anger at Nick for repeatedly choosing the crappiest cartoons over the best. Gravity Falls is actually nominated, along with Steven Universe, Gumball. Phineas and Ferb and Ninjago.
I'm so happy, that I'm not even mad that Teen Titans Go! is also nominated. Hell, I won't even be nominated that SpongeBob just might win again. I'm just ecstatic that Gravity Falls get what it deserves. Even more sure because it's final episode is on the 15th.
What a way to end.
Overall, this is a really great category; one of the best I've seen in a long while. I'd definitely pick any any of them, but I'll definitely choose Gravity Falls.

---

MUSIC:
I understand that the producers choose adult singers for the Music categories, because they are some of the most popular and(/or) talented in the medium today. I still feel weirded out about this because

GROUP
Fall Out Boy
Fifth Harmony
Imagine Dragons
Maroon 5
One Direction
Pentatonix

I have a definite felling that Pentatonix will win, if not One Direction.

--
MALE
Justin Bieber
Drake
Nick Jonas
Ed Sheeran
Blake Shelton
The Weeknd

I have a damn good feeling, dollars to donuts, that Blake Shelton will win this, just for being host. I'd be shocked as hell if one of the others wins. Even Drake, who isn't a singer (Find Your Love and Hotline Bling do not count).
-
FEMALE:
Adele
Ariana Grande
Selena Gomez
Nicki Minaj
Taylor Swift
Meghan Trainor

I honestly don't care for any of them, so I chose Adele. I have a feeling that TSwift or Selena Gomez will win.
-
SONG OF THE YEAR:
"Bad Blood" by Taylor Swift feat. Kendrick Lamar
"Can’t Feel My Face" by The Weeknd
"Hello" by Adele
"Hotline Bling" by Drake
"Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran
"What Do You Mean?" by Justin Bieber

Why?
Why are the nominees these songs? One of them is a diss track Katy Peery, another is a diss from a wimpy puss to a girlfriend he doesn't deserve, another has a line "Wanna argue all day/Making love all night", and another is a love ballad to drugs. Who's bright idea is this?!?! Eh--no.
--
NEW ARTIST:
Alessia Cara
DNCE
OMI
Shawn Mendes
Silentó [facepalm]
Walk the Moon

The only artists I would give a damn for are Alessia Cara, OMI and Walk the Moon.
If Silentó wins, I'm gonna be furious. Doing a version of "Watch Me" for the network has to be his little advantage.
--
COLLABORATION:
"Bad Blood" by Taylor Swift feat. Kendrick Lamar
"Downtown by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee and Grandmaster Caz
"Good for You" by Selena Gomez feat. A$AP Rocky
"Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor feat. John Legend
"See You Again" by Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth
"Where Are Ü Now" by Jack Ü feat. Justin Bieber

This is a new category-probably-yet all of these songs are WILDLY inappropriate.
I know "See You Again" or "Bad Blood" will win. But if/when the former wins, and Vin Diesel appears giving us yet another goshdarn unneeded tribute to Paul Walker (someone half of the Nick audience doesn't even know), I'm gonna rip my hair out!
--

And that's it for all the nominees. I feel very proud for the picks I chose, and even more proud in that I'm gonna watch the KCAs with no shame or embarrassment. I can't wait for who will perform, I can't wait for who win and I especially can wait for what the set will look like this year.
I'm teething with anticipation. I'm 21, and I will turn 22 on the week of the telecast, and yet I still feel excited to watch, and it's gonna be great. I can feel it!
The 29th annual Kids' Choice Awards airs March 12 on Nickelodeon.
I'll have my review on either Sunday or Monday (morning or night).
Thanks for coming out, everyone! Goodnight,

No comments:

Post a Comment