Sunday, February 07, 2016

Toony Tuesday 2016: Nature Cat


Hey, guys. I'm Andrew, and I'm gonna fill you in on a little secret:
...I like to watch cartoons.
It may be weird to do this, but I think it’s really not. Sure, the content is more in line for kids, and as an adult I shouldn’t watch them at all, but they kinda resonate with me (and all of us) too. They feature topics, stories and characters that we can relate to and feel like they are just like us,
always drawing us in even years after it's end.
Now, that I feel much more comfortable, I have something else to say.
I like to watching cartoons...for little kids. I know it’s a kinda weird thing, but they're so good, not only in teaching young viewers the lessons in school-level subjects, they're also very funny too--like for adults funny too. Even after high school I still watch; it's like comfort food to me. And I can't get enough.

Case in point...let’s now talk about America’s favorite cat.


No, not Piano Cat.


Not Grumpy Cat.


Not Felix the Cat.


Not even Gluten Cat.

I’m talking about the titular character of PBS Kids’ newest series (and the subject of this edition of Toony Tuesday), Nature Cat!


God, this is catchy as hell.
Nature Cat, created by Adam Rudman, David Rudman and Todd Hannert, follows a house cat named Fred, who day in and day out refuses the responsibilities of staying indoors scratching on stuff and relieving on litter, and instead takes on the bigger, bolder and braver trek outside of home and into the wide outdoors, in turn teaching viewers about nature and the things in between.

When I first heard of this series, it was just before Thanksgiving. I was preparing for appearing at the Thanksgiving Day Parade, when the TV was on WHYY, and I saw a promo. It looked interesting and had some enjoyable scenes, so I was intrigued. Then I forgot about it. But after Thanksgiving, I was lucky to watch the special preview, which aired on November 25, 2015 after a special episode of Wild Kratts.

Another thing, PBS Kids hyped the hell out of this show. Not one show would end (or even START) without the service airing a promo for it. Whether it be a sneak peek of a scene or a normal generic promo, they would air into and out of another show in the two months after the official preview. They even announced a hour-long special to officially kick it off.
It’s as if they want everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) to watch this show from the start to end.
And it was annoying… But somehow, my interest towards never waned. It’s a really fun series.

So here’s my (admittedly short) review of Nature Cat in general:
It’s a fun, exciting and enjoyable series, with some really good teachings of nature thrown in. Yeah, it’s a show about a cat showing his love of nature to us, but I didn’t get much of that vibe. It’s more like “A talking cat version of Robin Hood and his dog, rabbit and mouse friends go on funny adventures in the forest, and--oh yeah, there’s also some stuff we’ll say about nature too.
I don’t know if that’s intentional, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing to me, because I enjoy the it either way.

What I enjoy the most is the characters (and especially their voices).
They are the best part of this show. Their kinship, chemistry, and shared love and enjoyment of exploring nature and the funny moments from them make the show a really good experience to me. And yeah, I’m an adult, but I can’t help but enjoy it for what it is. Also, no one’s gonna tell me what I can and can’t watch, so nyeah! to you.

-Hal may be an empty-headed dog, but I consider that kinda charming; and he’s also sweet, funny and a very good pal to Fred, despite their different species.
-Squeaks is a very energetic (if not straight-up crazy) and over-eager mouse.
-Daisy is a more introverted, but very forward-thinking rabbit who is always there and happy to help lend a helping hand--err, paw.
-And Fred is a hammy, yet happy-go-lucky and openly-interested feline with a curious thirst for nature and enjoying it...even if he has nothing going for him in regards to nature. Literally, no instincts whatsoever. Dude straight-up bad bad luck toward nature. His natural cat instincts, though, won't stop him from doing what loves: going outside, getting nature and doing discoveries.
This ragtag group of warm-blooded characters are what this series needed to be good.
And their voice actors bring them to life, and make it even more amazing.
Naure Cat Fred is voiced by Taran Killam in pretty much the most hammiest, hyper-est yet kindest and coolest voice acting he's ever done yet. I’m aware that some people may find it annoying, but I, very well enjoy it; heck, I even find it endearing.
You’d be surprised of the many times I’ve said “Onward and Yonward!” and “Tally Ho!” to myself since watching the preview.
And speaking of Killam, it’s funny how I truly enjoyed his performance as Nature Cat, when I never knew it was him until halfway through. When watching the preview in bed, I immediately recognized the voice from the start, but I couldn't put my finger on it...and then asked myself “Is that Taran Killam?? That IS Taran Killam!”
As for Bobby Moynihan and Kate Micucci, the respected voices of Hal and Daisy, I immediately knew they were their characters’ voices the second I heard them. And it took me until the end credits to learn that Kate McKinnon was the voice of Squeaks, which baffled me at this point. Also, Kenan Thompson makes recurring appearances as Nature Cat's enemy Ronald the Cat. Seriously.
Here are interviews with the cast on their characters.
It's baffling.




The point I'm mentioning all this is because this series has more than one Saturday Night Live cast member starring in this series, you’d actually think it was co-produced by Lorne Michaels. It's...distressingly hilarious.

Anyway, I think this series could be a success (even if PBS rarely ever does release ratings on the PR front), and can last a long while (not forever, but a few seasons). I really like it, as yet another PBS Kids series that is just amazing on the education front AND entertainment front, and I’ll find this appointment television (whether every afternoon or in a binge watch-athon on the website and app).
You guys don’t have to watch it, and I won’t suggest it...so, I guess I just wasted my time gushing over a little kids show.
Oh well, you live your life.

Thanks for joining me for this Surprise Review, and I’ll see you guys later.

No comments:

Post a Comment