Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Toony Tuesdayswords: Mighty Magiswords



Meet Prohyas and Vambre, two Warriors-for-hire longing for Adventure, Action, saving lives, ...and collecting Magiswords along the way.

It's Mighty Magiswords! Huzzah!

Since I already mentioned what the series is about, I'll get right to it. I really like this series. It's fun, fast, loose, and a little free flowing, yet tight, written well and very entertaining.


A few words into the review...


This edition's review will discuss both the shorts and the series proper (at least up to season 1).
So let's get to it.

When I first heard of the MM (this show, not my blog), I wasn't too interested. I thought, I had other series in the bank I'm either watching or neglecting after a few episodes. Why should I spend time on this one? It and has a great concept, nice appeal and looks good with its animation; but paired with other CN originals, it's not exactly "must-see TV". But I could binge it to give it some interest one time." And...I was right. But when I decided to take a look, I was well intrigued by what I saw. Two medieval characters fighting crime and saving the day, and collecting powerful.

This series is like...Pokémon...meets... . At least I think so.

There are some pluses and minuses I have with Magiswords:
Pluses
The concept (about a brother-and-sister warrior duo saving the day with magical swords) isn't new, but is still unique--well, specifically the swords aspect. The swords themselves (with their different names and aspects) are an imaginative and worthwhile element of the series and helps make it perfectly quirky, enjoyable and fun to watch.

Speaking of..
The characters are also quirky and fun to watch. Prohyas and Vambre are a really good Warrior team, and carry the Sibling Tropes well. Individually, they're awesome to watch.

-Prohyas has an infectious amount of energy, an insane amount of craftiness, a high amount of goofiness and heart, and great amount of love for Warrior-ing to his character and voice. His attacks are awesome, his hair and sideburns are badass; and by golly, I love his voice. Creator Kyle Carroza puts such great passion and delivery into his character's voice and make this series entertaining from this alone.
-Vambre--the opposite of Prohyas--is the serious, stern, often on-the-attack (and often kickass) voice of reason...with a policy of not wearing pants; but even she can get a little goofy and inattentive at times. Her pratfalls are hilarious.
-Grup is the most adorable little dragon this side of animated television. He may be klutzy and goofy, but he can--and will--be insanely strong and violent when the situation calls for it. He's also a great cook; especially with sandwiches.
-Ralphio owns a shop specific for selling Magiswords. He's also a greasy, greedy skinflint; and is entertaining for it.

It's fun. After a few episodes, I fell in like with this series for reasons explained.
It gets interesting...
Minuses
-Vambre's Voice
Don't get me wrong; Grey DeLisle Griffin is an acting legend, but her name alone is enough to drive big interest for a series she's in. And her body of work is magnificent. But with this one...I doth cannot. Well, half of the time. For the role Vambre, DeLisle dons a British accent. And if you've heard her voice before (I mean, c'mon, who hasn't?), you can tell it's her feigning a different accent. It's not bad; it's just not my tea not at times. Sometimes, I can enjoy it. Other times, I can't stand it. It's definitely not enough to drive me away (not even over in the slightest), but it's still pretty blase.
-The Pacing...It's a little Fast
The main gripe I have with this series is it's pacing. While watching the shorts, the plot and dialogue just breeze on through. It's like literally everyone who works on this ate half a bag of sugar before working on the episode, It feels like I'm not watching a three+-minute short, it feels like I'm watching a one+-minute short. And the actual series is little better; while it's ten times the length, it still feels like literally half of it. The only time you realize the whole thing is done is when you look at the timeline(?). While everything else is great and I can follow the plot and ex, I wish the pacing would cut down, just a little. I would enjoy it much more then.

And now to pad out this edition a little more, here's a random bit where I mash Prohyas' and Vambre's names with random other names. It took me as long as you thought it would.
Alex Prohyas
Nicki Vamaj
Probias (a mash-up of Prohyas and Tobias)
Vipre (with Vipra from Bravestarr)
Prohyagra (a mash-up with a...certain pill)
Lambre
Vambrire
Frodohyas

And that's it. Not that hard.

That's my review my review of Mighty Magiswords.
And this has been Toony Tuesday.  I'll see you next week.
Until then, I'm Andrew and May the good toons be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment