Saturday, June 17, 2017

Special SLMR 2017: iHeartRadio MMVA Edition



Hi, everyone.

Welcome to part 2 of our three-part series on Short/Long Music Review, where I review music tied to the big music-based awards shows in June.

Part One--based on CMT Music Awards, is already uploaded;
Part Three--to be based on the BET Awards is up next week.

This time, I’m reviewing music for this year’s iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards.
This ceremony based in Canada, may definitely be rooted in Popular music, but also has reaches in Hip-Hop and R&B as well. But that’s not why I watch every year. Why I watch is because of the great list of performers they manage every year, the spectacular and creative stages built on their parking lot and the high caliber of excitement, wonder and ecstasy that only comes with waiting for and watching the MMVAs. And this year’s show has to be no exception; Lorde, Imagine Dragons, Niall Horan, Iggy Azalea and DNCE--along with Arkells, Jessie Reyez, Jazz Cartier and Julia Michaels and more, will perform this year and

For this edition, I’ll review songs performed by most of these artists, with particular emphasis on the lesser known big artists first, while putting the bigger artists at the end. All good? Great.

Let’s kick it off with…
Knocking at the Door” - Arkells



While I’ve heard their name and seen their faces for years on the MMVA circuit, I’ve never gotten the chance to actually hear their output. So now, I’m giving them the listening they deserve.

This song is definitely a love letter to Toronto. It’s people, culture, personality are shown in full display; and I love every second of it. And it really shows so much other than “that one city in Canada every other person outside it knows (by extension, because Drake and Bieber (not really) are from there)”.
I love the production; the rock beat, the energy, the tone of open pride and love for something, the small but hyped-up uses of horns, and the use of random women talking with the singer in the second verse.
Max Kerman’s vocals really scream his love on his sleeve, including literally on the chorus. I love that he does that; he’s basically quiet (but progressively less later on) on the verses, but then explodes on the hook. It’s just amazing.

This is a perfect banger, a perfect city pride song, and something perfect to play during city events all year long. This is Toronto when the night is young and the party’s on; and I’ve love to be there if/when I can.

I think this band has a new fan in me from now on.
I can’t wait for Arkells to perform this live on-stage.
And for Kerman to grab some throat lozenges second after he’s done.
--
Shutter Island” - Jessie Reyez



This artist definitely has talent flowing through.

This haunting track is about a horrible relationship where the woman suffers at the hands (in some lines, possibly literally) of her abusive significant other, while trying her best to stay for her love of the guy. This is what real breakup songs are about: the substance, the raw feelings, the intensity, the pain and the heartbreak shown on the singer’s sleeve. The actual feelings someone goes through during a terrible relationship and/or after a bad breakup are heard here; not some fairytale story that turned out to out to be a daydream in the continuing process of a dull reality.

The line “The straightjacket is custom built tho” sticks out (I think) because of it’s symbolism to the restraint of true feelings the woman goes through after a breakup or her feelings have released wide open and she’s suffering from it. It’s a powerful, brilliant line that shines on the real-life struggles women (and at times, men) go through

Reyez has a rough and squeaky yet beautiful voice, and she uses it to its full potential here and her other songs to show real, raw, true emotion and real, uncut feelings that I don’t think I’ve heard from a female singer in years. It’s a wonder why she hasn’t gotten bigger any sooner.

I also suggest checking out her other songs “Figures” and “Gatekeeper”, which are also raw, emotional, genuine, powerful and true in the stories they tell (relationships and the bad side of getting famous). I believe these songs will definitely put on the road to stardom.

I think I love Jessie Reyez. No...I know I do.
--
Tempted“ - Jazz Cartier

I'm not sure if this is or isn't a song about messing with another guy's girl. It feels like it is, but can't be too sure. But I like it.

Cartier has a slick flow, and I do like some of the lyrics
--
Issues” - Julia Michaels

Hey! You got problems in your relationship? Well, so does Julia Michaels.



“Issues” is about a woman going through anxieties of dating a guy, and takes comfort when learning he’s going through the same thing.
This song is just raw yet lovely. It just tells us the problems we face in a relationship: trust, common ground, arguing, being open, etc. etc. And I really like it.
The midtempo beat is nice, simple and soft, contrasting from the lyrics. Michaels sing in a raw, open, emotional tone. This track is very relatable to people who go through , and Julia wears in on her sleeve, as shown in her interview with Genius.

I’m a person just like what’s found in this song, except with lots of people. So I can like, agree and relate with this more than I’d want to. Plus, I’m happy and sad it’s a little under 3 minutes.
Happy because it’s not filled with bullcrap filler. And Sad that it’s pretty short.

--

You guys remember Kardinal Offishall? That guy who burst into the US scene in 2008 and actually made it big for a little while? Songs like
and “Numba 1” proved he had some staying power...and then he dropped off the face of the Earth into obscurity for for a nearly a decade.

Then during last year’s Red Carpet pre-show, he returned to the public eye (at least as far as I’m aware) as the house DJ and part-announcer. I didn’t notice much but it was a surprise to see him again and actually recognize him. So I’m curious to see what he’ll do back in his home turf.

--

“Mo Bounce” - Iggy Azalea

I liked “Fancy”. I hated “Black Widow”. I really didn’t like “Team”. This one? Even worse.


This song tried be like “Anaconda”. I despise “Anaconda”, so I don't like this one as much. Although it has its own original beat (even if it’s lyrics were written by 9 people), it’s not enough to be likable in my opinion. And in the opinion of the public, it was about the same. Since the novelty wore off, almost no one wanted to like or listen to an Iggy track, and it openly shows. It reached near the top of a Billboard chart… the Bubbling Under Hip-Hop chart.
So it makes me wonder why she’s still around. I don’t think I’ll ever find a song of her’s I’ll actually like again.

“Switch” - Iggy Azalea ft. Anitta


Oh...well...I kinda like this. The production is kinda kickass, with a industrial-like sound reminiscent of Kanye’s album Yeezy. And Iggy has a real good flow with lyrics in the first verse I actually like. And featured guest Anitta has very good vocals in the hook, which is really catchy.

I do hate Iggy’s delivery at the end of most of the second verse, singing (which she can’t do) and ending a syllable like a question. This is one of the tropes in modern rap that piss me off the most. Other than that, it’s an alright track that’s pretty fun to listen to.
--
“This Town” - Niall Horan



Okay; I’m a sucker for slow, humbling songs about love and togetherness, but this song is so (near-)perfect. Niall’s vocals perfectly compliment the soft, dreamlike guitar-based production, and the lyrics (while sappy) do recognize something that does happen these days--a strong romantic relationship that matters more than most things in the world (well, hopefully).

I like this one. Feels like a nice track to play for the love of your life.
(...no, I’m not pussy-whipped if you’re wondering.)
--
“Thunder” - Imagine Dragons

Yes, guys, they’re back!
Imagine Dragons are back to bring us more potentially big catchy hits.
But first, look at this high-grade Star Trek film-based fan’s wet dream of a video.



Visually beautiful, but contextually head scratching. Oh, and you can’t miss the Jeep product placement. Just like you can’t miss the song’s placement in the ads. Circle of life, amirite?

To the song however, it’s catchy. I’m sure hearing “Thunder” under a pitch-shifted voice over and over will make it so. If anything, this would’ve been an out-of-this-world tribute to the character from Bambi, and I wouldn’t be surprised. The beat is very primal and very bumpin’. The rest of it is alright; a real basic “I was a kid different from everyone else and I wanted to be something big, but they all laughed at me, but I showed them all wrong’...song. The lyrics plainly say this.
It’s super radio-friendly too. And I have never heard it on the radio before this.

Other than that, moving on to their other single that is much better.
-
“Believer” - Imagine Dragons



While not as radio-friendly as “Thunder”, this is just as primal (if not much more) and much more awesome. This track is about a man--broken inside--pissed at the world and always ready to let out his anger. That is until he meets former 80s action superstar Dolph Lundgren starts boxing. Makes sense? No. Awesome? Damn skippy.

The beat is exiting, breathless and filled to the brim with awesome. Definitely sounds like a song you’d hear in an action film or a fighting film like “Eye of the Tiger”, “You’re the Best Around”, and “Gonna Fly Now”...and not in a film like “Murder on the Orient Express” (because Why?).


I like this one a bit more, but both these songs are great start off singles for Evolve.
--
"Green Light" - Lorde



And yes, guys, she's back too.
Our Lorde and savior-ess has returned for another round of success in the mainstream--despite shitting on it in "Royals".
This song here, dealing with a breaking up with a crappy boyfriend and finding yourself in the fun world of being single, is just as unconventional-sounding yet fun and brilliant as the rest of her music. Lorde's vocals are still fresh, funky and perfect; and the beat is just as subverted and unique, yet kickass and awesome as her other singles. And just the fact that she's back just makes me (and possibly the rest of the world) super happy.

--

And that’s it for this special review of SLMR. Thanks for tuning in. And make sure you tune in to the 2017 iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards, tonight on Much (in Canada). If you're in any country that's not Canada, go to Much.com/MMVA and watch the live stream. For optimal experience, watch the live stream starting at 6:30 on the network's Twitter page. It's gonna be so lit!

Tune in next week for the last special awards show SLMR review for the BET Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment