Thursday, January 15, 2015

SNL 40 Review: Chris Rock & Prince and 3rdEyeGirl


Well, folks, I knew this would happen when I would review the episodes of SNL 40 I didn't review yet. And they day I watched it, I knew the second it ended that I had watched something I couldn't have watched again if it'll save my life. I watched some corny episodes of SNL in the ten years I've watched the show, but this is the clear, definite, obvious worst.
Not only of the season so far, but also of the decade so far, and probably of the millenium too. I can't say ever, because SNL has three seasons that suck ass, but this may be up there. But I have to, because I wanted to do the damn thing. But as I watched some sketches, I realized, and this is as much as a shock to me as it is to you...but they weren't as bad I though. They're actually good. Not great of course, but kinda good sketches.

(Some sketches don't have clips from YT or Yahoo so here's the whole episode provided by Hulu, with some sketches being the dress rehearsal version.)


This time, the Cold Open spoofs Fox News Channel's The Kelly File, with Cecily Strong portraying host Megyn Kelly. Her guests are New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (played by Kyle Mooney; kidding--Bobby Moynihan) and Kaci Hickox (Carrot Top; I keed--Kate McKinnon). I didn't see most of it or pay attention to it until the title sequence started.

One of the more controversial moments of the show was Chris' Monologue. During it, he makes jokes about the Boston Marathon Bombings and One World Trade Center (originally called the Freedom Tower), among other things.

I will be honest in saying that I did laugh at some of it. I honestly thought it was funny. I know some people didn't like it, and I definitely understand; I will not say that "it's been over 10 years after the September 11th attacks, and we need to move on; he's just making a joke". It's stupid. But I also won't say "it's too soon to make a joke" either. I did find legitimate humor in this monologue. Regardless, I won't say it was the best monologue of them all, but it isn't the worst either.

How 2 Dance with Janelle/Vlog
The Sketch After is about a girl named Janelle (Sasheer Zamata) who has a popular show on YouTube teaching viewers how to do popular dances. She has a creepy boy (played by KyMoo) over and her father (Rock) comes in furious, forcing Janelle to cut off the show because he believes he may be doing innapropriate dances for horny, creepy pervs.

First off, I will give the producers credit for making the room and YouTube video look look believable.
This was a pretty funny sketch; most of the jokes weren't hilarious, but were chuckle-worthy, with the most funny part came from when Rock barged in his "daughter's" room, him reading the comments like any parent embarrassing their child would, and when Janelle did the dance to the booty song; Teddy and dad's reactions were priceless. Pretty good one here.

GoProbe
Next up, a parody on the GoPro portable digital camera mixed together with a long camera used during a colonoscopy. This was genius because of how the GoPro works and what possibilities the producers could go with it. Sure, there are many others ouut of this, but it was still really funny.

How's He Doing? 2
All four of the black cast members are joined by Chris in the second (of probably few) installment of "How's He Doing?", in which five black TV analysts ask each other how President Obama is doing in second and final term of presidency. And of course, they're praising him to the high heavens. (Guess why.)

This was a weak one, but there were some good laughs here and there. I honestly expect this to appear in an ep later this season and one next season as well. I also think a version of this recurring sketch may happen after the 2016 Election with white cast members had a white president gets elected.

SNL's Shark Tank 2
In the second controversial moment of the episode, members (Rock, KyMoo, Pharaoh and Pete Davidson) of the ever-so-horrible ISIS head to the boardroom to discuss and sell the organization to the Sharks (TKill as Mark Cuban; Kate Mc as Barbara Corcoran; Kenan as Daymond John and Beck Benn as Kevin O'Leary).

I would call this one Shart Tanked, because the writers tried to be edgy and controversial with this skit. They ended up being so for ALL the wrong reasons. But I understand what they were going for. Not to be shocking for a cheap laugh, but to make a satire of ISIS (or ISIL as some call it), using the concept of Shark Tank for the humor and I get that. But they tried to emulate the edginess of the writers of the first five seasons for this, and just missed the mark halfway. I'll give em credit for the nice use of Shark Tank concept here. Also, I love how unaware the Sharks are at the prospect of giving their own money to an immoral and noxious organization hell-bent on destroying the Western hemisphere, like it's just another person selling a new item for your bathroom.

Swiftamine
In another pre-tape in which people are falling in love with Taylor Swift's music, which they don't know is. And when they find out, they reevaluate life. So a prescription medicine was made to calm their fears. Called Swiftamine.

This was another of the best moments of the ep. I totally related with Leslie Jones when I cringed to even think about liking Taylor Swift's music. The medicine concept was smart and hilarious. If I ever feel that way about

The Couple
A couple (Rock & Leslie Jones) are getting ready for a special engagement and have to get ready to leave on an Uber car. But first they argue. A lot.

My God, this was the worst. This was the worst sketch I've ever seen in the 10+ years I've watched this show. Well, it was the first time. It was barely funny, cringe-worthy, unpleasant and lackluster. The jokes by the couple were really sad and uncomfortable, the yelling was annoying, and the thing their daughter (SaZam) said almost made me cry. But the worst part came in the middle when Leslie walked in the set...looked around (assumedly for the right camera or the cue cards; whatever)...and said nothing. That was just so cringe-worthy, it hurts. This was the worst skit of the ep, and of the entire season so far. And this coming from a guy expecting what the Blake Shelton x2 episode will be like.

Robbers
Some criminals hold up a bank and do what you don't think would happen.
You know what's annoying? The taped pieces are hilarious, while the live bits are meh at best. The writers do better with these than the latter, where they barely ever try anymore.
Anyway for the pre-tape itself, it was very funny. Seeing the robbers doing anything other than rob the bank with a high caliber of preparedness was really cool. Also, some of the reactions were chuckle-worthy too.

Women in The Workplace
And finally (Thank God), a commercial for Women in the Workplace. I din't see much the first time, and after watching it again, I didn't think this was all that great.

To be honest, this was the part of the episode I couldn't wait for. Prince is BACK! With new music with his band 3rdEyeGirl, we knew he was gonna shut the stage down, and he did. And then some.

-First off, "Clouds". It has a 90s vibe while still be a recent song. His piano work is wonderful and the chorus is really catchy once you remember it.
-Next is "Plectrumelectrum", which is an awesome guitar solo
-We then go straight to "Marz", a super rockin' dity that lets the guitars do the talking. Man, that was awesome!
-and finally, it's "Another Love", a wonderfully smooth R&B ballad, that goes straight into nothing but guitar
He and 3rdEyeGirl fucking killed.
I'd say that this was the best performance by a musical guest this season (no so far). It's gonna take a lot for me to change my mind and make someone else be the best. Prince killed it, and is the best for the entire season. Bar none.

Update Time
Part 1:

Part 2:

Jost & Che are in the spirit of things...sorta. Both are the same as last time, and of course Michael had more laughs. He did flub a line with the Apple joke, and used Prince's performance to save himself; I cringed hard. I actually like this dude more than the other, but at least Colin had yet to slip up. I feel ashamed to be bored by him.
-Pete Davidson returned for another segment on what the hip young people do these days. Of course he was hilarious, but I feel that throwing him in every other week is going to make his segments look, feel and sound weaker and weaker. Just every three weeks is fine, okay?
-Also appearing were Katt Williams and Suge Knight. Jay's Williams impression was amazing. The way he says "boo-boo" just always gets a rise out of me. Kenan was also great as Suge, but couldn't reach the heights of Pharaoh's Katt impression.

So after reliving the brush fire that was this episode, I learned something: that this ep. wasn't as notoriously terrible as I thought. I still found it really suckish, but to me, these sketches do have a change in opinion after repeated watches. They do get a little more funny after the first time around.
Chris was great as host; he did his absolute best, and made me laugh at some jokes, but at the end of the day, it's still one of the more weaker episodes so far. But I wouldn't be surprised if the audience laughed more loudly if Kevin Hart or Blake Shelton made jokes in their episodes in the next two weeks. Or cheered if someone from The Voice appears. I'd be infuriated, yes, but not surprised.
The black cast members got a big push from the producers this week, appearing in almost all sketches, making the big push relevant thanks to Rock's hosting. (At least that's how I see it). On the white side of things, Kate Mc was the best with her impression of Kaci Hickox beig really good. She really held her own in the sketches she appeared in.
So yeah, weak-ass episode all around.

Tomorrow is the final episode of this little SNL40 Catch-Up session here, hosted by Woody Harrelson, with music by Kendrick Lamar. After watching this episode, that one had to be better. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment