Friday, June 19, 2015

#AGTXReview: Auditions--Ep. 4--To The EXTREME!!!!


Another week, another group of auditions that wowed the hell out of me.
So let's see which acts will be another of my pseudo-favorites come time for the Vegas Round.

The first act this week is a dance squad from LA aptly-named...The Squad.
(I am a sucker for dance troupes, those who bring it and surprise us all with their tricks and surprises that amaze me.)
These guys were not an exception: their delayed/chain-reaction/synchronized (at different times) moves surprised AND wowed me and apparently the judges, too. Just look at Howie clean-shaven face.



These guys are another act I really enjoyed a lot. I’m so glad they’ll move on to Vegas.
Also, one of the members has a nice-as-hell ponytail of light purple and silver hair. Whoever put that together did their damn thing!


22-year-old Daniella Mass, originally from Colombia, now working in the United States as an employee at her friend’s furniture store. Her act is singing Opera, specifically Andrea Bocelli’s classic “Con te Partiro”.
Right out of the park, she blew me away with her very lovely voice and her very sexy Italian accent. Hearing her was like a light looking into Heaven. Who knew a voice like this came out a lovely shrinking violet of a woman, that it’s so mind-blowing. Great job for her, and I can’t wait to see more of her in Vegas and, hopefully, the Live Shows.

Since after this act, and other acts that I'll mention below, we go to the bread and butter, the acts that everyone wanted to see, the acts NBC advertised over and over, with some intended editing to make it look like one of them didn't survive. These are the EXTREME! acts.

And now for the meat of the episode, here's the EXTREME! acts.
These acts are more rugged, crazy and dangerous than most other acts. So for them to perform their auditions, they have to go outside of the arena to do so.


First off, it’s a freestyle motocross group by the name of Metal Mulisha Fitz’s Army.
They basically fly their bikes in their air, and showboat. Four of their friends died doing this, so this could be a death wish for them. But boy, did they make my mouth drop.
While in the air, they made these super-awesome tricks and handstands and whatnots. They clearly practiced this and it paid off. Anyone could’ve died from this, like their four friends have. And none of them sustained even a scratch. That was heart-stopping good, and I would definitely pay to see this. These guys did a great job, and I must see them again.


Just like I’d want to see Damone Rippy from Austin. HE'S 16! (that’s the reaction from female audience members...for some reason.) His skill is flyboarding, which involves a mechanism on his feet that makes him fly above the water like Iron Man. That’s cool, but his skills while doing so is even more cool. The spins, flips, hits into and out of the water and whatnot, is awesome. This 16-year-old boy is amazingly talented.


Next up is Cliff Ryder (even his name is perfect for a daredevil) from Malibu, CA. He’s a base jumper, and he’s lost friends whom have done this for the first time, so this is nuts.
He’s going to be jumping out of a helicopter from 3,000 feet of the ground and falls at 120 MPH. Which he does. Amazingly
While it was great to watch, I don’t think this will be an act I would see over and over again. A guy jumping from the top of a building, and then another building, and then a higher building before reaching smaller and smaller targets isn’t one that can sit well for me. Not because it’s not exciting; because of how it plays out. You know he’s going to jump, you know he’s crazy, you know he’s gonna pull the cord close to the ground. And I don't want to see a man die on Live TV. But the excitement factor is gonna keep me interested and hopefully he changes it up every time. Good luck to him.

And lastly is web developer Wally Glen.
It’s just a man in a bodysuit wrapped in fireworks, setting himself on fire. I only see “one-time-only” appeal in that.


I do have one thought for all of these, though:
How can they continue doing these acts during Vegas Weeks and the Live Shows? They can’t fit water into or have enough room for their motorbikes inside Radio City Music Hall. Also, there’s no way they can’t change up their acts every week. Plus I’ve seen acts like this do their thing, and then not reach the Live Shows before. So I don’t think I’ll see these guys in New York come next month and August.

Anyway, these guys were awesome in their auditions and their acts get the job done individually. I enjoyed all of their auditions and will seeing a higher of excitement coming soon.

Acts I Won’t See After Vegas:

--At the beginning of the 120 minutes, after The Squad, there was a hot hula dancer named Marawa. Her talent is awesome. Watching her twirl that many hoops was amazing and hot. But even hotter (literally AND figuratively) was her twirling a hoop lit on fire...high above the floor.
As much as I enjoyed that (and would pay to see this), I don’t think she would make it past Vegas. Unless she would switch it up every week, I feel her act would get staler and staler as her stay keeps going.

--Aiden Sinclair, from Cheyenne, WY, is a former con man who changed his life after he found love and friends, and decided to give himself up for the better. During his time in jail, he found a magic book, and hasn’t stopped reading and tricking since. During his act he wowed the judges and the crowd with a card trip, involving one card turned and a call to Howard’s mother, who chose the 10 of Hearts. And wouldn’t you know it, the card was the 10 of Hearts.
While his audition was really amazing, and his life story was inspiring (Everyone makes mistakes and can get a second chance), I don’t feel his act are very impressive. I could be wrong, and if I am, I would happily eat crow (not literally, though).

--Hanako Matsuyama is an IT Engineer, who has lived in America for two years, and decided to dedicate her audition to her new home country. While that’s beautiful, her act of bale
I don’t blame the ladies for their pressing their buzzers, as “un-American” as it was.
I will say this: I can’t do what she’s doing, as she does this for years; but either her ballet or singing isn’t going to be an exciting act is she does go forward, which won’t happen.

In the end, this was a really good episode:
The hype was worth it for this episode and the acts featured here was awesome to watch and would be even more awesome to see again. The inside acts were just as great. I can’t wait to see more next week and I hope you will join me then.
Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Your Posting is a great job and effort and I love it, because it’s unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, wow. Thank you buddy.
      I'm grateful for your response. Thanks for continuing to check in with the AGT Reviews and there will be more where that comes from.
      -Andrew

      Delete