Saturday, June 20, 2015

Special Short/Long Song Review: Nobody Love, Uma Thurman & Want to Want Me (Much Music Video Awards 2015 Edition)


Hey, everybody! Welcome to a very special edition of Short Long Song Review.
This month I'm honoring one of the biggest award shows/free parties on Earth, the Much Music Video Awards. So I'm doing it in a big: I'm reviewing THREE songs! Wow.

Well, it's been a long time since I've done a three-song-review (Probably more than a year!) and I've slowed down since. But here's the time to return to this hard format. What better time to do that than by reviewing three songs by three artists performing at the 2015 MMVA? These three artists are from different genres and backgrounds and all of them are also worthy of the top ten of Hot 100, as the songs I'm reviewing are all big hits (two of them have been heating up the Hot 100, with one of them in the Top 5.) And they're all amazing (some more than others). All have great beats, some have great lyrics, and I consider one as one of the best songs of the year.

So let's check out these three singles:
"Nobody Love" by Tori Kelly, "Uma Thurman" by Fall Out Boy and "Want to Want Me" by Jason Derulo.

The first time I heard this first song a few months ago, I almost immediately fell in love with it. The beat was really great, the lyrics were mad cool, and Kelly's vocals were super amazing. It was one of the songs released this year that I love and that I loved to listen to every chance I get.

It's my first artist Tori Kelly's debut that should transform her to the stratosphere, "Nobody Love".



This song is about...well, let's check out the lyrics, to see what it's pertaining to. Because I was confused.
"Everybody's looking for that something (Okay, okay)
No one ever wants to pay the price (Okay, okay)
Everyone is scared of going nowhere (Okay, okay)
But we ain't going anywhere tonight (Okay, okay)
"

Okay, this song is about the typical relationship dramas people go through in life.

They want to find a good significant other, but don't want the relationship to be a bad one or hit a dead end. And when some people are in love with someone, they try to put the abuse aside, because they want the ship to last. But in some cases (like here with the narrator) they relies it's not worth it to stay when it's a bad idea. But they reach an impasse because they enjoy the emotional turmoil they go through.
Wow. Four lines in, and I'm already loving this song.

"I should be more cynical and tell myself that's not okay
(To feel this good when I'm with you)
I try my best to fight it, say I hate you but I always stay"

In short, this is a better relationship song than half of Taylor Swift's catalogue. It actually packs a wallop of realism, emotion, and pain, while sounding like both a sweet, poppy love song and a breakup song. And I love every second of it!

Kelly's vocals are fantastic; they carry a sweet, yet bitchy tone to even more bitchier lyrics. They sound like ones you'd hear in those songs in the 90s, where the artist actually gives a performance worth a damn and puts in effort into the lyrics, since she did co-write the song.

As for the beat, it's following in the throwback boom of this decade.
I mean, it has to give off a vibe from somewhere, but I'm not sure which vibe is more dominant. It sounds like one from the 90s, 80s, or even further like the 70s and 60s (at least where the use of trumpets are concerned). But to make more sense, I'll say it has a 90s vibe of covering a 60s song beat. I hear trumpets, drums, guitars and even bells. But that's what I love about it.
And I don't mind this at all; in fact I quite enjoy this a lot other than the music running concurrently in radio.
So yeah, I love this song a lot. Cheers to Ms. Tori for scoring a hit on the charts.
I hope you have a huge successful career coming. You just may deserve it.

And now to our next artist, Fall Out Boy. This band has been performing for almost 15 years, and has been popular for making pop-punk and pop-rock hits out of . This time, they're become hit makers again after getting back together in 2012 and released two platinum albums and huge hit singles ever since.
One of those comes from their latest album American Beauty/American Psycho, called "Uma Thurman".



"I can move mountains
I can work a miracle, work a miracle
Oh, oh, keep you like an oath
May nothing but death do us part
"
This line is very catchy, and starts off the song on a very good note.
What makes this even better is the sample from an unexpected source. It's the theme from The Munsters, and it makes the song even better in my eyes. In fact, it's the best part.
"She wants to dance like Uma Thurman
Bury me till I confess
She wants to dance like Uma Thurman
And I can't get you out of my head
"
Besides the amazing actress whom the track is named after, this line here is based off the Quentin Tarantino film she starred in, Pulp Fiction; more directly a scene in which her character Mia Wallace dances to an underwhelmed Vincent Vega, played by John Travolta. This song also includes awesome analogies (like "blood of the lamb" meaning "sweet innocent girl" and "smallest I can be" meaning "being open to the girl being dominant in the relationship") and references to other things, including the CK Eternity perfume and Thurman's other films with Tarantino, the Kill Bill movies.

I just love the references to her and the film the song gives off, even if it clashes with the Munster sample. But it's a good kind of clash. A good kind of clash you'd enjoy.

This is an awesome song. The beat is rockin' rad, the lyrics are short, but super sweet and the Munsters theme sample is the best of the bunch. I love this track and it's a perfect piece of this brand new renaissance for Fall Out Boy. Plus, this is now my all-time favorite song from them; just good Great job, guys!! Continue to impress us with your next releases.


And last but not least, it's...Jason Derulo.
This guy has not been a favorite of mine for the past few years. While his songs are catchy, they're also filled to the brim with stupid beats, arrogant vocals from Derulo himself, and some of the most asinine and reprehensible lyrics in a modern-day song (see "Trumpets", "In My Head", "We Don't Wanna Go Home" and especially "Wiggle" to prove my point).

And now that he has another hit added to his arsenal--I mean collection, he continues to stay relevant in the music industry. So let's see what the #1 Chris Brown wannabe has to offer this time around with..."Want to Want Me".
(...I already have that feeling.)




"It's too hard to sleep
I got the sheets on the floor
Nothing on me
And I can't take it no more
It's a hundred degrees
I got one foot out the door
Where are my keys?
'Cause I gotta leave, yeah
"
--Okay, is this song about forcefully shaking up with a girl, or the usual problems when sleeping without a fan or air conditioner in the summer?

"In the back of the cab
I tipped the driver ahead of time
Get me there fast
I got your body on my mind
I want it bad
Ooh, just the thought of you gets me so high, so high
"
--For a song like this, I wouldn't imagine the lyrics to be this detailed. It's like reading into someone's diary.
Dear Diary
It was a very humid night in Miami. I couldn't sleep without the thought of banging this hot chick I met on the strip the other night. She had the tightest waist and nicest ass any man could gawk. I must get to her any way I can, to satisfy my appetite for rough, sweet monkey sex. And she's my antidote. Here I come, girl! You're my one forever...

Ugh. If a guy like him here is that desperate for a lasting relationship (aka nothing but boning until the neighbors come knockin'), then we've got a problem.

"Girl, you're the one I want to want me
And if you want me, girl, you got me
There's nothin' I, no, I wouldn't do, I wouldn't do
Just to get up next to you
"
--Jason, what makes you think she's perfect for you? ...Oh yeah, sex. Lust is not dead.

I really like the beat. It's really nice, danceable and has that damn good feeling to enjoy. So much so, it feels like I can eat it. It's so sweet and savory, it's kinda like Twizzlers and Pringles. Which is funny because it's about popping a pussy, so it kinda fits.
On the other hand...this song is about finding a girl and forcing her into some relationship. There's no way to spin that. ^ Oh wait, there is.

Well, that's it here. These three song are great in places and are perfect to chart on the Charts. And these artists are great to listen to and watch. And speaking of watch, they'll all be performing at the 2015 Much Music Video Awards, this Sunday at 9pm. It'll air on Much (along with other Bell Media networks) in Canada, and on Much.com/MMVA for viewers outside of the Great White North, where I'll be watching. I hope you guys will too. The MMVA are one of the best and most well-produced awards shows in the world, and I love watching it every year. So check it out; it's awesome!

Thanks for joining me for another S/LSR, and I'll see you late for another edition. Until then...
Get ready to get in full swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment