Saturday, October 24, 2015

S/LSR: Hotline Bling


Hey, folks.
Welcome to a (relatively) special edition of Short/Long Song Review, where I don't review the song in question (well, mostly), but the music video of said song. This video is of a song that I kinda don't like right now. Also, no lyrics or lyrical analysis posted this time around. Because as you read more, I hate the song lyrically.
It's the latest single by Drake that's climbing up the charts to be another "hot" hit.
It's "Hotline Bling".





\


The video, which was released on Monday, is one of those videos that have no story or no characters or isn't in some city with a bit of money spent, but is instead produced in a sound-stage with large, lavish sets and atmospheres with a lot of money spent. And looking at the video, you can tell from the first colorful shot that a lot of cash was wasted on this. And because the video was released by Apple Music, I couldn't help but think the company threw in at least 70% of the budget. Which may explain why the sets look like a large, expanded, lit-up version of the Apple Store.
The reason for all this, is because of inspiration Drizzy has towards it is by the works of American artist James Turrell, who is best known for his bright, colorful exhibitions; that, while simple and minimal, also at the same invoke trance-like thought and amazement to and from onlookers, giving a wonderful experience throughout.
Which explains the many times I watched the video all day after I discovered it, despite the fact that I really don't like it.
Thank God, because I thought it was his goofy-ass dancing,

one of the dancers looking very similar to Nicki Minaj,

the fact that because of said dancer, I thought the song was about Nicki Minaj (although, with my amusement, she was never a good girl to begin with), or the equally goofy-ass turtleneck he wore during some parts of the clip.

Admittedly, the sets actually look mind-blowing brilliant and awe-inspiring, with my fave being the staircase which look like stairs to Heaven or a square-shaped spaceship.
Real dope.
Also one of the shots looks like a pair of women's legs. Thumbs up, I guess.
All of these are some of the best I've seen this year, making it a genius visual.
Such a shame that it was linked to a corny song like Hotline Bling.

It's also interesting that these sets have everyone do nothing of interest or excitement (at least until the end). Just sitting, standing, walking like Bill Cosby and dancing like Bill Cosby.
And speaking of Cosby dancing, Drizzy's moves are corny as all fuck. Sure, he's got some personality, and they're not at all terrible, And I won't say I can dance better than him (because I'm not), but--Oh, who am I kidding, no rapper has ever danced this great as MC Hammer, so Drizz has a plus there.
You know right? I don't think they're that bad. Sure, they're super laughable, but they're actually fine. Drake has a good footing, and can dance to the beat nicely. His cha-cha and salsa is pretty good. Seriously, I wouldn't mind them all that much. Really, I can't believe I wasted time positively discussing his dance moves.

Speaking of "cha-cha", some people have accused this song of having a similar sound as the song of the same name by D.R.A.M., but I've never seen it that way. And I've heard both songs. They do have production elements and tempo speed (along with the beats taken from known works, with "Cha-Cha"'s beat based off a piece of incidental called "Star Road" from Super Mario World) that are similar, but I really don't care. I don't have a fondness for either songs or either of the guys.

And...that's all I can say; the music video has a lot to notice, yet not much to say about it. And this coming from me, someone who pretentiously over-analyses stuff (okay, I can't help it! Jeez!).
It looks so amazing, and Drake isn't half-bad here. Which is nothing I can say about the song itself...

because, it's just crap lyrically.
It's about Drake whining about a girl he left (whether a girlfriend or booty call) changing her overall personality and starting to become more popular after their departure, and he starts talking to her (or about her--I can't frickin' tell) about how things are different now soon after.
Seriously, why are you going after her? Because she's now a big thing where you live? Was she that sweet a person to that you have to try to turn her back for her sake? Or is she that bad of a threat to you and your rep that you had to say all of that to her for your sake? It's not that big a deal. You can have any woman in the world at your feet (or dick) at your leisure.

I'm sure she was a good woman to you, and I understand you're very worried about her, and that's very sweet. But she is her own person now, and no matter how much you try (which doesn't even seem like much, because one of those lines even say that she "got what [she] asked for"), there's no turning back for her. And if you were really worried about this girl and her well-being (which sound normal by what the lyrics go by), you could've done something about it. But no, you let her go, and now she's rolling Backwoods (a cheap-ass cigar brand switched for weed) and "touching road" (some Canadian term for going out) with some other guy. Sucks to be you, right?

It makes me think of those episodes of some TV shows where someone changes their behavior and the best friend feels worried about this new change and begs the character to become his/her-self again. This does not happen; it's Drizzy crying like a girl over his ex becoming as popular as him. It's pretentious, self-centered, douchey and just plain annoying. Like his vocals.
They try so hard to be soulful and close-to-heart, but because of the little gruff sound in it, that really fails. And the thing is, Drake has a nice singing voice that's really bearable in some of his other songs. This is not nice or bearable.

And it's very confusing too; he makes no mention of their parting...Which could've made sense. He could've spit a line how, since their beginning a relationship, she changed her personality after dating him, and it was too much for him to bear, so he had to split. But that's not touched upon, negating all he's said in the song. He just has to go all "Ever since I left, you got more popular than me and I can't stand it. Please stop that and be you own boring self again".
Which is sad. Even more so is this second interpretation:
"It's not fair! Why are you so hot and popular now, when you were normal and boring when we met? I'm supposed to be the big shot here! I need this!!!"
Makes no sense! And if Drake is saying she caused the breakup, that's even worse.

So yeah, this song is mixed bag for me.
The beat is very nice--with a surprising source from Timmy Thomas' "Why Can't We Live Together", giving it a great groove and some catchy-ness factor, and Drake's vocals aren't very terrible in most places (although the whiny tone to it is a turn-off). But the lyrics are infuriate me so much, it makes me want to maim even Timmy Thomas for associating with it, even though Drake sampled "Live Together", and he has a writing credit for such. Would I play it again some time soon? Yeah, I'll admit; mostly from the beat.

Thanks for joining here for another Short/Long Song Review, and I'll see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment