Tuesday, August 05, 2014

#RisingStar Weekly Review: Ep 7--It Gets Better From Here


Hey, everyone. Remember when I said last week when I said I was close to giving up on this show? Well, I take it back. This show got better. And I really mean Better. The singer stepped up their game, they make their mark much more than before, and they’ve impressed me in their own ways. So, with as much excitement as I can muster in a blog post...
The (quarter-)Finals are here!! So this week, the top contestants have faced the Wall and against other contestants to reach this point, and now, they must face the music (and the judges: America) to reach...another week of competition. So let's sit back, relax and enjoy my opinions of this week's performances...and stuff, shall we?


Starting of the competition, Macy Kate performed P!nk's "Who Knew". I know the original was a pop-rock song, but this one was kinda really dull. She started flat, but then got less exciting as it progressed. She later reached the Hot Seat (I'll explain that later on.) with 60% (despite the Experts' backing behind her).


Up next, Shameia Crawford, singing Emeli Sande’s future classic “Next to Me”. Already out of the park, she hit the notes perfectly. She turned the song (which already sounds like a gospel-pop song) into straight-up gospel. I think this has been the best performance of the night, and probably of the season.
So it’s definitely Performance of the Week. (Dun-dun-DAAAAA!!) [Don’t worry; Jesse’s performance will be the same, too.] She ended with 76%.


After the 3-Minute Switch, Josh Peavy performed “How Am I Supposed to Live Without You” by Michael Bolton. This dude is a reason why I love this show (at least after this week). His vocals just sound perfect on whatever song he sings. He just has the voice to perform these legendary ballads. AND HE'S ONLY 16! I could only wonder what songs that aren't ballads he might perform if he ever does so, because I got a feeling that might get annoying after next week.
He reached the highest score of the night (so far AND with the Experts' Yes Vote), 85%.


April Lockhart was up next with the Goo Goo Dolls’ “Iris”. She does have a big indie-sounding voice, which I really liked. That That long note she held near the end was fantastic. April received 71%, with help from all three Experts, which she returned with very sweet "Thank You", which I really liked.


Maneepat Malloy performed “Stars” by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals. She was really good here, with a nice soothing voice and melody, although her her singing the chorus was pretty mixed to me. I can't explain it, but it's really mixed to me. She got 68% (which Luda being the only Expert to give her a No-vote).


Dana Williams took the stage to perform “Latch” by Sam Smith--aka the guy who’s successfully touched the souls of everyone. Man this was perfect; her voice was close to melodic here. I thought it seemed hard to sing Sam Smith like it was to sing Adele (both are British, by the way), but she pulled it off in her own way, which was a big bet paying off well, with 60% (she later 65% from the West Coast viewers' vote, cementing her passage to next week.)


Later on, Alice Lee with “The Story” by Brandi Carlyle. I don’t about her here. I can’t say her voice changed for the better, and that she had a better change, but it was better than her last performance of “Wings”, which was an abomination to me (along with many others, despite the Experts’ glowing reviews).


Up next Jim Morrison’s spiritual incarnate, Jesse Kinch. He performed The White Stripes’ ever iconic “Seven Nation Army”. We all knew he was going through, but he continues to take his journey to to new highs. Every next performance is better than his last, and this has to be his best performance in the entire season. And THAT is saying something. This guy will always have my vote, even if he wins. No, WHEN he wins.


Megan Tibbits took the stage to perform “Home” by Marc Broussard. It wasn’t the best performance of hers because of the nerves. And unfortunately, it wasn’t enough for her to go through with 32%.


Lisa Punch is up next perform Alicia Keys’ “Girl on Fire”. I thought it was pretty good, but the emphasis on her native accent was very detrimental to the set.
Venison Whiskey said that Lis was the best dressed of the night, and she was. She also packed a little swagger when performance.


Audrey Kate Geiger came to the stage to perform “The Big Bang” by Rock Mafia. It wasn’t great, but I love the voice on her, which has remnants of Amy Winehouse, which I like. And because of the Experts’ input later (with Brad tapping in for Luda), Audrey makes it through with 65%.


Later on, Austin French sang “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys. His voice was wonderful here.
It seems from some comments under the videos of the show performances on YT, that some believe that he, and not Jesse, is a much more popular contestant and that he might just win the competition, because of his babyface looks, boyish charm and popular performance, in contrast to Jesse's rugged look and exclusivity to Rock classics. Oh well, we'll see what happens during the finals.


Sonnet Smith ended this week’s competition with “Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey. I didn’t think it was good, I heard some pitchiness, and it just wasn't that good.

Random Thoughts:
--The idea of the Hot Seat is a good one. Instead of doing a results show, the contestant sits on the seat in front of the other contestants, dubbed the Top 6 because of their higher scores. If another contestant (and his/her performance) bests their score, they leave the competition, and the next lowest sits on the Seat, and so on.
--Kesha looks super sexy in blonde hair. I wish she would keep this look (at least so that her hair doesn't fall off from all that dye she's used).
--I read a comment from someone on YT saying that the guys are the stars of this season, with the best performances every time they step on stage.
The guys are dominating the premier season. Most girls picked the weirdest songs to compete... and voters are finding it hard to relate to. Guys pick famous songs and just KILL IT. Love Josh..
And she's right; the guys are the stars. They keep bringing the best of the best every week, and never disappoint. It's pretty obvious with Jesse, but it's there with Joshua and Austin as well. They take the competition seriously and sound like it, too.
--During 's performance (when the viewer vote reached past the goal), Macy Kate was shown rolling her eyes and pulling a fake smile. That obnoxious behavior didn't sit well with me. So I was glad she left.

No Expert Chat this week because of the many performances.

Well, I'm glad I didn't quit on the show. This one has been the best yet and almost everyone gave it their all and it paid off good. See you next week if everything gets much better from here and maybe some nicer and more awesome surprises. Tune in next week for the review. See you later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment