Friday, August 01, 2014

#SYTYCD Live Review: Ep. 5--Goofy Jesters, Billowing Dresses and Jumping Over

Welcome to Maroon Mondays’ review of the Live Shows of “So You Think You Can Dance”.
As with my reviews of Rising Star and America's Got Talent, the opinions are less professional than those of the TV-show websites.

Hey, everyone. It's that time again. And you know what it is. The dancers have put their skills to the test one again, and it's up to that to make it to...the elimination at the end of next week. Anyway, 4 dancers will leave the competition this week so I'll show you that at the end of review. But first I'll get to the dances of this week.

Joining Nigel and Mary this week is actress Christina Applegate, best known from Married...with Children, Anchorman and Up All Night.

Before my “critiques” on the dances below, here’s this week’s starting group dance:



First up, Bridget & Emilio do a Jazz routine choreographed by Ray Leeper to Avicii’s “Long Road to Hell”. The two did well together. And there was a lot of spinning going on. The flip Emilio did over Bridget was cool. I liked it a lot, but felt it wasn’t the best dance of the night.


Next, Tanisha & Rudy perform a Mandy Moore-penned Celine Dion’s “Seduces Me”. Yes, it’s 90 seconds of throwing a woman up in the air but I felt the emotion and intensity in this one. Rude did a wonderful job with the. Cat pointed out that Tanni’s brothers were in the audience, and if he dropped her, they’ll kill him. If he did this with my sister, I’d do the same damn thing.


Later on, Jacque & Zack work a Paso Doble by Jean-Marc Genereaux to “Dragula” by Rob Zombie. Boy, that was cool. The part near the end was awesome, where Zack spun Jac around under his feet and didn’t trip and fall. I feared that would happen but it didn’t, thank goodness.


Emily & Teddy performed a Warren Carlyle-Broadway bit to “From this Moment On” from the Original Soundtrack of Kiss Me Kate. Well...after the last Broadway bit two weeks ago, which I called “so jazzy, so fun, so AWESOME!”, I thought there would be another that would be, at least, just as good. Unfortunately, this wasn’t. it was boring, it was less jess jazzy, and it was not as AWESOME! as the last Broadway dance. I won’t slam on Em & Ted, because they did their best and it wrong to slam a dance I didn’t truly hate. But it was kinda lacking in comparison to the last one.


Jessica & Casey Travis Wall-penned Contemp groove to “Like Real People Do” by Hozier. This one was really cool. The genuine emotion was there. It almost made me cry. That catch, that lift, that swing, that chemistry, that jump with the hold, that--DAMN. All three judges and the audience gave a standing O for their dance. I would’ve done that too, but that would’ve been very silly.


After the 3-Minute switchup, Carly & Serge perform a second Jean-Marc Genereaux-created dance, this time a Quickstep, to “A Cool Cat in Town”. Favorite Dance of the We--I’m sorry. Too quickly. Anyway, this was an awesome dance; both did an awesome job. The footwork was crazy fast and I feared either of them would break an ankle or foot here, but they survived the brutal bit well. Now, I name this my Favorite Dance of the Week.


And finally this week, Valerie & Ricky give a Chris Jenkins & Krystal-penned hip-hop rappin’ routine to “Turn Down for What” by DJ Snake and Lil’ “Yeeeeaaahhh, Okaaaayyy, WHAT!!” Jon. Hilariously, I hoped Rick didn’t use his genitals to rip off Val’s costume like the creepy Indian guy did to the poor girl in the song’s video. This dance was fantastic; the two immersed themselves into these characters and murdered this dance. Val was the better of the two, but Rick held his own just as well. And that thing Val did with her legs like the Arm Wiggle was just really awesome. This is also my Favorite Dance of the Week.

Now time for some Mini-Group dances. The girls were up first. I saw some falling between dancers and thought those were some foolish mistakes. but no, those were intentional. But this story was emotionally powerful (women helping each other and picking others from dissaray), especially when they did the group flip. This made me feel some things I haven’t felt before...well, before this week. Plus they look so good in those billowy dresses. Well done, girls.

Meanwhile, the guys did a Travis Wall-Contemp to Beck’s “Wave”. They looked like extras in “The Last Airbender”. Anyway, Ricky (I think) is in the middle of the stage and the rest of the guys rise up from the rafters below, which was freaking awesome! Then it seemed like a strange dance to me; everyone smooshed together, one guy spinning another, putting all of them together to make weird shapes. So odd. Although that hand thing at the middle And, they did a jump off the stage--like a suicide jump. WTH? Anyway, it’s a pretty good dance.


And now, the ever-so-terrible eliminations. (Sorry, no video this week.)
The Bottom Six.
Girls: Carly, Emily & Jessica
Guys: Teddy, Casey & Serge
And the eliminated:
Jessica Richens & Casey Askew (wait, wait wait; they’re actually SAVED!!)
So the four dancers eliminated are:
Guys: Teddy Coffey & Serge Onik
Girls:Emily James & Carly Blaney

Oh well, that wasn’t as painful as I thought. Anyway, next week, the show is whittled down again; this time we’ve reached the Top 10. We’ll see who’ll be the best and who’ll be the--ones going home. Sorry, I’ve quickly run out of witty things to say. Anyway, tune in on Wednesday, and see you here next Friday for the next review! Bye-bye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment