Thursday, August 14, 2014

#SYTYCD Live Review: Ep. 7--Michael Jackson Appreciation Night

Hey, everyone.
Welcome to Michael Jackson Appreciation Night at So You Think You Can Dance. All songs featured this week are by the King of Pop himself and featured All-Stars from past seasons teaming up with the dancers for some fantastic dances.
This week, Nigel and Mary are joined by “Step Up” and “Witches of East End” star, and wife of actor and her SU co-star Channing Tatum, Jenna Dewan-Tatum.
All songs this week were sung by Mr. Jackson, and this is because I’m happy not to type the songs and the name of the person who sung it. So, so happy. So here we go!!!

(Unfortunately, there are no videos this week because Fox foolishly didn't release them to YouTube, and you know Dick Clark Productions has been a bitch about anyone using unauthorized video of this season's dances.)

First up, Ricky performed a Contemporary dance with his All-Star partner Jamie Goodwin to His classic rendition of “Smile”, originally by icon of comedy Charlie Chaplin. I just can’t stop breathing from watching this dance. The splits and leg lifts were breathtaking. I don’t know if it was her billowy dress or not, but Rick and Jamie just took this dance from wonderful to breathtakingly fantastic. Great job by these two. This one is my Favorite Dance of the Week.
After his dance, Cat reveals the result from his dance last week. He is safe to dance another week. (Yes!!)

Up next, Valerie took to Salsa with All-Star partner Ryan Di Lello with “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’”. I enjoyed the dance but this wasn't a great as the the others.
She is also safe for next week, and will later get SYTYCD legend tWitch as her partner next week.

Casey is up next to dance with All-Star Comfort Fedoke performing a Hip-Hop bit by Pharside & Phoenix to “Xcape”. I loved the concept, a guy caught in the web of a spider; this time, a sexy spider. They way they keep their hands on each other while doing the moves made this dance much more sexier. Comfort made this one really memorable.

Tanisha danced a Stacey Tookey-Contemp bit with All-Star Nick Lazzarini to “She’s Out of My Life”. Wow, this dance had it all; emotion, passion, authentic feeling and power. Plus it made me cry tears of joy. The song certainly help matters, too. This just couldn't get better for her. Unfortunately, they really couldn’t, because after the dance, Tanny was voted as one of the Bottom 2 Girls.

Next, Ricky dances with his partner Allison Holker to “Dirty Diana”. This was so fantastic. The chemistry between them was amazing and the flying and leg lifts was really cool.

Zack and his partner Mackenzie Dustman danced the Great White Way to one of my all-time favorite MJ hits “The Way The You Make Feel”. I usually love Broadway dances, and this is another one to love.
He was not in the Bottom 2 Guys this week.

Jacque and her partner tWitch performed the second Hip-Hop bit this week (this time by Dave Scott) to “Slave to the Rhythm”. It was fantastic. Jacque did her best, and it showed. And tWitch is just amazing in any dance he does.
Cat (and me before her) revealed that Jac was in the Bottom 2 Girls. I guessed before the result was revealed and was right.

Finally, Jessica and her All-Star partner Will Wingfield performed a Contemporary dance by Mandy Moore (who I regret to to tell you is NOT the actress/singer I originally mentioned 2 weeks ago. She’s just another woman with the same name. My apologies for the confusion) to “Earth Song”, another of my favorites. (Actually, all of the MJ classics are my faves). This one really touched me emotionally. All the moves were spectacular and flawless. Will did an awesome job with the lifting. This dance is also my Favorite Dance of the Week.

And now, the eliminations:
(The girl and guy eliminated are)
Girl: Tanisha Belnap
Guy: Rudy Abreu

I think that Tanisha and Rudy should not have gone home. They are some of the best dancers of the season and really impressed me every week. And this is not because I love Tanny’s legs, although they are a really nice set. Oh well, I will miss them and wish them the best in the future. Goodbye, Tanny & Rude!! You guys were the best.

Anyway, This week’s show was awesome. The Michael Jackson songs featured were great songs and really fit with the dances. The All-Stars were amazing as usual and dancers really stepped up well. This is my favorite show by far.

Tune in 2 weeks from Friday for the next review. Goodbye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment