Sunday, February 22, 2015

SpongeBob is Nominated For ANOTHER KCA--and I'm Questionably Pissed




It just had to happen. It just HAD to happen. SpongeBob SquarePants has been nominated for the Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Cartoon. I was happy that it was nominated back during it’s first few seasons, and of course you know why. As the show continued, less and less people fell in love with it, and more and more people got furious with its’ increasing number of nominations. And of course you know why.

But you know what, I don’t care any more. I don’t mind it getting its’ nomination for Favorite Cartoon. In fact, I actually think it DOES deserve it.

Nickelodeon clearly loves this show. It’s been a hit ever since its premiere in 1999, and back then it deserved it. It was funny, clever, enjoyable and one of the best cartoons ever. And when it won the Favorite Cartoon award from 2000 to 2007, it actually deserved it.

Now the only person who believed it deserved it is Nickelodeon. It’s been making the network and company money and kept the pockets of the execs full. They knew this show was a hit, even when it rotted in quality, because the kids are still watching. The kids are still buying merchandise, they’re still enjoying everything with his face on it. That’s why this show is still

Plus, the producers and writers clearly don’t give a damn about they write or storyboard, because what they saw on screen, they found hilarious. And the execs don’t give a damn--oh, I’m sorry--they don’t give a FUCK about what’s filling up the timeslot, because whatever is on it, the kids will watch, and if they watch it, the money will come in, and when it comes in, they’ll like whatever they’ll greenlight next. A circle of life. It’s like they’re a real-life Mr. Krabs, except they actually care about their family and friends (I think).

Meanwhile, there are other shows that are in actually good quality (with the creator putting in as much as much creative content as they wanted and ending it at their own terms) that put up respectable ratings (if they’re lucky) and have a sizable, if not half as big fanbase as SpongeBob. Ironically, I think the shows nominated are crap now. Fairly OddParents, Teen Titans Go! and (maybe) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Adventure and Phineas and Ferb (please correct me if I’m wrong) are going through terrible seasons at the moment, and some of these shouldn’t be nominated; but I shouldn’t care because this is the Kids’ Choice Awards I’m talking about.

I know this Awards thing is a fluke now, and that I shouldn’t care, but if Nick wants to nominate these shows, and put them up against this one, knowing that they’re going to lose, and the Sponge is gonna win (again), and that they know that we know that it’s gonna win (AGAIN), well, I’m just gonna have to kill myself. Goodbye, world. Let me know if SpongeBob actually loses for the second time, so that I’ll celebrate another true victory in Hell.

Okay, I'm clearly overreacting. At least I voted for it this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment