Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Beck vs. Beyonce?: Who Cares Who Wins AoTY?



Hello, folks.
So earlier today, I was scrolling down Facebook, when this article from BuzzFeed popped up: "5 Reasons Why Beck Beat Beyonce".
I got a annoyed, yet I clicked on it to see what it was about. And they were five stupid reasons, indeed. One of thee worst is this:
1) His lyrics

5) His "artistry" aka Number of Writers

and 3) His "artistry" Part 2 aka Number of Instruments

And after that I got even more annoyed.

You know what> I have something to tell you people.
SHUT UP!! Your argument makes no sense!
Just because Beck has been in music longer than Beyonce DOESN'T MEAN SHIT.
Just because Beyonce is more popular than Beck DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!
Just because Beck is more musically-inclined than Beyonce DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!
Just because Beyonce is more hotter than Beck DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!

Beck and Beyonce are two completely different artists of two completely different genres of music. And it was clearly proven during the Grammy Awards the other night. Beyonce won Best R&B Album for Beyonce, while Beck won Best Rock Album for Morning Phase. If you really want to overlook that with the Album of the Year category, you're a sad pathetic idiot.

Many like people like one over the other and that is fine. But making an argument over a foolish topic like this is mind-blowingly stupid, even on BuzzFeed's standards.
It's like saying The Walking Dead is better than Gravity Falls. They're two different series of two different genres with two different fanbases, sometimes overlapping, with some being fans of both. But arguing over which show is better than the other is super pointless as both shows are amazing in their own way.

I'm not saying that people listening to one album should listen to the other to see if it's better or equally amazing (which obviously isn't going to happen anyway), but this argument is fucking pointless. All of your time and effort into making a point is just baffling. Besides, both artists won 2 Grammys that year. Shouldn't all of you be happy with your respective musician's big win? And not talk shit about the other like a sane human would??

Honestly, in my opinion, I don't care who truly deserved the Album of the Year Grammy. I don't find the Grammys that important to me anymore. (especially since Taylor Swift won AoTY in 2009 with Fearless, although my point here is stupid because I've admittedly never listened to Fearless). So I really wouldn't care if any artist or any album wins an Grammy, even if it's one I really do like that hopes would win, had it be nominated. And even if I'm happy one artist won a Grammy, I don't get pissed enough to make a angry tweet about it on Twitter.

If you don't like Beyonce, fine. Don't shit on Beyonce!
If you don't like Beck, fine. Don't shit on Beck either!
But my point here is, don't waste your (somewhat) precious time on brain-damaging and humanity-questioning arguments like these. And I'm not a hypocrite, because I'm not that much of a fanatic of either of these artists, and I don't really care for either of them at all. I just don't understand why people are wasting their time on this pathetic-ass argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment