Thursday, August 13, 2015

America's Got Talent X Weekly Review: Live Show & Results--Round 1: Finally...The LIVE SHOWS...Have COME BACK...to US!

It's back. The reason we America watch every summer is back. The reason we're proud of random unknown people showing the rest of the world we DO have actual talent somewhere. And the reason we can actually handle watching NBC for the next several weeks.
It's the Live Shows on America's Got Talent X!



The best acts of the season so far have made it to Radio City Music Hall in New York City to fight for the highest and biggest prize in the show, $1 Million and a Headline Show in Las Vegas. It's time for the big and better acts to show their stuff and prove to the nation why they deserve to stay.

Before I get to my critiques, I want to give a little mention to this:
Back in June, Howard announced on his legendary radio show that this season as an AGT judge, his fouth, will be his last. He cites a very busy schedule this as the major reason. Such a sad/happy thing.
Sad, because after this season, there will be no more of his actually good constructive and sensical criticism or his nice taste in good talent (Although an act based entirely on some guy getting hit in his nuts is really questionable). And
Good, because he deserves the rest and more time to his family and his show, so good for him for being a great part of the show's judging panel. now...

Are you ready? Because this Review is ready for you. Let's go!!

(By the way, if you see some videos scattered that look like they don't work, don't worry, they do. Trust me.)

Kicking off the show (with a bang) is Siro-A. The video mapping dance troupe murders their performances every time they're on screen, so imagine my excitement when I learn that they've gone first this week. So you know this week is starting off with a bang.

HOLY SHIT, THAT WAS AWESOME!!!
I was curious and excited to see what these guys would do live, and they butchered it!! They didn’t miss a beat (well, there were some minor hiccups, but not all the way terrible), and they kept me on me the edge of my seat watching on in amazement. They blew me away again, and I definitely believe they will go to the finals. And I know they will.
--
Here’s a name you thought you wouldn’t see again--Alondra Santos.


I was very surprised to see her on the list of acts performing in the first Quarter-finals, because she got booted during the Judge Cuts. But I’m glad she returned. Because
Man, she knocked it out of the park! I loved everything about this performance--the fun, colorful atmosphere, the back-up dancers, the rap verse she spit out, and of course, Alondra’s performance and vocals. This 13-year-old girl had the pipes like . And she reminds me of a teenage version of Selena. She would’ve made Selena proud with this. I’m proud of her.
Usted hizo su todo, y estamos orgullosos de ti, cariƱo.
--
On the tank now, Vita Radionova. She’s the contortionist who blew everyone away with her double-jointed moves. In more ways than one. But here...well…


I felt it wasn’t as impressive the last time. It was hit-or-miss to me. A little more miss than hit. It felt like I was watching the same act again; same moves, same placements, same sexiness.
I understand that after Alondra and Siro-A, she can’t exactly reach up to the same amount of “wow-factor” they did, but she did her best and that was fine enough.
I did enjoy the song that played during. Oh, and that outfit--trust me when I say that I was more focused on that than her smokin-hot moves. So Sparkly.
--
Next up was Triple Threat. They are the goofy nerdy troi that everyone fell in love with during their auditions, and they finally made to the Live Shows. They performed a cover of “Say My Name” by Destiny’s Child. And...oh, God…


This was...Strange. For starters, this wasn’t a gender-flipped cover. It’s still about a woman trying to shake off her man about if he cheated on her. Here it sounds like the guy is asking HER if she is cheating on HIM. And it was really off.
Now to the singing, this was really terrible. I’ve heard their singing before--their harmonies were perfect. It gave them the charm that made them popular. But after this, I can’t go on as a fan anymore. It wasn’t good to me. But I had the feeling it’s not their fault; they are one of those acts who started out great because of how unique they were, but then the producers came in and changed them, and come the Live Shows, they’re a completely different act. I’ve seen this before.
They got buzzed by Howard, which was fine. But when they got buzzed by Mel and Howie, it was shocking. But I agree with them in that they chose the wrong song to start their place in the Live Shows with. I also agree with Heidi in that it did take a lot of guts and that it was fun to watch. If they do stay, they need to change their tune immediately, because they are talented and have perfect harmonies.
This was a step down.
--
After this...high school production, I guess...it’s The Gentlemen.
The dapper dancing bros from Fairfield made their Live Shows debut, and it was kinda awesome! But…


They were a little rough in their moves; I can definitely see the
the song they played, “Time of My Life” by Pitbull & Ne-Yo, was inappropriate. This is a little better than the Usher songs that were chosen before, but it’s still inappropriate. I mean, “I’ma get LOOOOOSSSEE tonight”? I’m sure that won’t be Kidz Bop-age perfect for them.
And Melanie mentions that there were some of the same moves that they performed in their auditions. I’m not sure if that’s true, but I enjoyed what I saw here.
Great effort, Gentlemen.
--
Piff the Magic Dragon. Need I say more? I mean, I wish I should. At least because of this performance...
In this crossover spoof of Game of Thrones and Deal or No Deal, Piff has four boxes above the stage floor, and enlists Howie to choose which box contains his magic dog, Mr. Piffles.


As the act continued, the stakes were raised as his assistant, his sister, destroyed the boxes in more disturbing ways.
Suddenly, I felt more sad than I wanted to be laughing my ass off. I was more scared for Mr. Piffles in the box, and bored and frustrated that there was none of his trademark snarky, subverted humor and his cool, awesome magic appeared in this performance. I expected more of the latter like in his previous performances, and I got nothing. This was just nothing. Nothing that I didn’t expect from him before now. I am actually disappointed in Piff; this was just sad.
--


I really needed some happiness; so I’m glad that Benton Blount came up next. With his cover of A Great Big World’s “Say Something”, he continues to amaze me with his deep, amazing vocals. The cover feels like something he created, and it shows, too. That was amazing
Also, there was no package for him. Which was odd.
--
After this pick-me-up was Craig and Micheline, who had more than a few pick-me-ups themselves.


He throws her around like a rag doll, and She climbs him like a jungle gym. And that was said in the nicest way possible. The physical contact was smokin’, and the sex appeal and sexual tension in-between was red-hot. I enjoyed this so much.
--
Next was Drew Lynch. This comedian, who suffers from severe stuttering, made America proud during his audition. But for me, here...

I didn’t find his performance, great...but not because of the stuttering (I’m not that much of an asshole). It’s because I didn't find some of his jokes that funny. couldn’t hear him. I tried getting close to the TV and turning it up louder, but I couldn't understand him, outside of his stammering.
--
Showproject took the stage to perform their famous acrobatics.


And I wasn’t as impressed with this performance as I was with their last. I believed it was a step down from that. All I saw was swings around the poles and climbs to the top and balancing themselves. Plus their timing was off.
That’s just basic as hell. I saw a lot more during their Judge Cuts audition, where they committed their all into their performance and impressed me a lot. This was nothing much to me.
But their bright pants were a plus to me.
--


Paul Zerdin just continues to be one of the best ventriloquists, not only this season, but any season, too. There was so much to love from this:
-His talking with his puppet Sam (which can be expected)
-Putting the puppet in his bag, and him still not moving his mouth while Sam talked
-Him walking away from Sam...and then Sam TALKS!!! AND MOVES!!!
(Did he make a deal with the Devil for this!) Crap on a cracker, that was just BRILLIANT!!!!
I--i mean--just--bffvbdjhcdnso;sddr=23--He needs to win this. He really does.
--
And finally, the last act of the Live Shows premiere, Samantha Johnson.
She is a singer with a beautiful, powerful voice. Seriously.
She performed “California Dreamin” by The Mamas and The Papas.


Oh my God, this was amazing. That voice is so bombastic, yet just heavenly. She owned the stage, she commanded the audience, and she deserved going to the Live Shows. Even more, she needs to go further than that--she needs to go to the Finals. She has to, because she’s one of the best singers I’ve ever seen on AGT. I watched all seasons and she has everything to make it so far.
She’s the next Bianca Ryan, Prince Poppycock, and Jackie Evancho.
Wow. She ended this show with a bigger bang.

Howie said it best: This was one of the best Live Shows I’ve ever watched. No--it was the best Live Show I’ve ever watched. Almost all the talent I’ve seen this week blew the roof off of Radio City Music Hall and left me wanting to vote as fast as I can. All of them gave it their all and I can really feel it; everyone has done their best, and it was worth watching, whether good or bad.

Best Performers: Siro-A, Paul Zerdin & Samantha Johnson
Favorite Act of the Week: the former two
Worst Performers: Triple Threat (definitely), Piff (sorry) & Showproject (same basic moves)

And now, time for the eliminations.
-I’ll be honest. I expected some of these acts to go. Because they deserve to go. They were absolutely astounding to watch in their own way.
-As for Piff, he deserves to go because I want him to showcase what brought him this far--his smart-ass comedy and his goofy-yet-clever magic. I was disappointed in him this time, but I’m happy in that he can continue to do what we all love about him next round.
-I thought Alondra would go home, because I thought other acts were more popular than she was, but thanks to the Judges Choice, she’s staying.
-Also, I was surprised that Samantha wasn’t going through just like the others that were chosen. I honestly thought she was a shoo-in. But fortunately, there were a chance to still be saved: The Dunkin’ Save. So I’m glad she’ll also be back for the next -Finals Round. She (along with Alondra) is so talented.

And now I want to bring back one segment that been long dormant. It takes a look at the most dapper looking host of the reality competition circuit: Nick, that I like to call...
Suit Up! with Nick:
On Tuesday, Nick wore a Dark Blue setup with an adorned Light Blue flannel pattern. This must be to celebrate the fact that AGT is back on the Radio City Music Hall stage, because he matches the lights and setup floor.
And on Wednesday, Nick stunted in a

Going Home This Week:
Vita Radionova
Triple Threat
The Gentlemen
Craig and Micheline
Showproject
-I’m absolutely cool with this result.
Vita, Gentlemen and Craig and Micheline are simply not million-dollar acts, while Triple Threat and Showproject sucked.

Going Through This Week:
@Siro_A_
@ImAlondraSantos
@thePiff - the Magic Dragon
@BentonBlount
@theDrewLynch
@PaulZerdin
@SamanthaTheBomb - Johnson
(follow these guys on Twitter. It’s well deserved.)
As for the rest, this is deserved. I’m proud for all the acts chosen to go to go.
This was a great first start to the last part of the season, and I really enjoyed all of it. Good job to everyone involved for a great first Live Show.

And that’s it for for the first Review of the America’s Got Talent Live Shows!
Thank you for joining me this week, and I’ll see you next Thursday at 9 for Round 2, where these next 12 acts will vie for our votes (which will now [and brilliantly] take place during the show):


Tune in Tuesday to watch them to fight for our right to use the app for just two hours in the week, and then check back here 50 hours later for my review. I know you want to see that, huh?
Anyway, see you next week! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment