Saturday, August 08, 2015

AGTXReview: Judge Cuts--Part 2-That Was...Still Expected



Hello, everyone.
The Judge Cuts on America’s Got Talent has heated up.
Last week, 20 acts have re-appeared and faced the judges (along with a special guest) to prove why they’re deserving of their place in the Live Shows. 13 have fallen, while 7 have risen the ranks to secure their spots. I honestly thought almost all of the choices made were very expected, and that the end was anticlimactic...but when Alondra Santos wasn’t chosen, I was shocked. Oh well. I’m glad all of these acts I really like are going through.

This week, it’s a different course.
20 more acts are making their marks one again; and again, only 7 acts will be going to Radio City Music Hall. I was even less than pleased with this group; even if the judges had a hard time getting rid of some real good acts, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Let’s see which acts will go to New York this time (that is, those we obviously know will be going).

But first, another round of the opening credits with the judges and shit.
This week, they are joined by Michael Buble, one of the most talented and incomparable talents and voices in music today. And host of his Christmas specials on NBC. Whichever is more relevant at the moment.

Now, let’s get started.

First up, magician Aiden Sinclair.
If you remember him, this guy previously had a really bad life as a con artist, and ended up in jail for his scams. During his time in the slammer, he picked up a book on magic and learned the ways of the profession. He has since gotten out a changed man and has made wiser moves in life to move away from his past, including appearing on AGT with an amazing audition. That was amazing.

But somehow, that couldn’t compare to this second audition he did.
Oh. My. God. This just blew everyone’s mind. I--I just can’t wrap my mind around this.
His talent is just spectacular. He’s going through. He’s definitely going through.
Another great start. Another bar set.
--
Of course it’s going to be hard for the other acts to be just as great.
But damn if they don’t try.

Shirley Claire is up first. This 87-year-old firecracker has been making us laugh, smile and feel any us should be her fifth husband since her audition. Man, can she sing!

Now, she’s back for another knockout. She’s still got it.

I love this woman! She’s witty, charming, charismatic and hot. She can make me her romantic partner if she wants; I can be down as a cougar’s mate.
--
Daniella Mass is a singer originally from Colombia now living in the US to chase her dreams.
She sang “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina”, and…

well, what can I say? This girl has the voice that can move mountains, open up skies and possibly breathe life into anything. I’d be pissed if she didn’t go--she deserves to.
--
Ira (and his mother) has returned with one goal in mind: impress, and one day settle down with, Melanie. But he now has another reason to continue on in the competition: Sing to everyone and make them happy.

I felt a little cringed for Mel. This guy’s--(I can’t believe I’m referring to this thing as a guy like I am a human)--his whole schtick is just singing his feelings about Mel B to her and everyone else, in front of her. That’s not very funny. That is...a little creepy. The dude (or the guy controlling “him” from behind) can sing, but this angle is getting really annoying at this point. And if he goes, I don’t think I’ll be a fan of this anymore.
--
Next up is Benjamin Yonnaton. He is a dancer with a painful obstacle in his life: he is legally blind. But that won’t stop him from living his dream.

This young man is inspiring. He wants to dance (and can dance) and won’t let his decreasing vision stop him. Which is great thing to see. His audition was beautiful to watch and had me emotional.

--
After a package of a few acts that were great, but might not make it through,
we are now treated to Uzeyer Novruzov, the guy who can

In this reprisal, Uzeyer is attempting to reach the top of a wobbly ladder and stand on it; no mat, no net, no safety. I wasn’t very impressed with this. It was great for him to climb the ladder and make it wobble to ass suspense, but when he stood on top for a few seconds, I was a bit disappointed. I mean, I was like “That’s it? Really?”--I wanted more than that, and this left me sad. I know there are people who’ll say “Come on, this is amazing; no one can do this like he can”
I know; it’s really hard to do, but if you’re going to fight for a spot to the Live Shows, it should be more exciting and extravagant that this. His audition was better. That was cool to see though.
--
Ryan Shaw. Aw, man. This dude has some golden pipes!

Seriously, it probably should be a crime if he doesn’t make it to the Live Shows. He’s that good His three GRAMMY NOMINATIONS are an impressive feat to have in a music career.
--
The Craig Lewis Band. Man, these guys are aMAZing!!
First the audition was tantalizing...

...and now their second act is just as fantastic.

Like Ryan Shaw, these brothers are so talented and have some of the best voices on this show this season. They have everything to make it far, and I think they can make it far. Which is why I was so glad that Michael pressed the Golden Buzzer for them. They so deserve it.
--
Speaking of deserving, DM Nation returned for their next turn. The all-girl dance troupe already impressed the judges and the crowd the last time (in two words: THAT TURN).

And now, here’s what their re- gives us.

Well, the title of the YT video said “Power and Precision”, and that’s what we’ve gotten. These girls still got the moves and timing down pat--right down to every inch of the beat of the three songs featured. I do pretty strongly feel that the Audition was better, but I still enjoyed what I gotten here.
--
Scott Heierman. My God, this man is hilarious.

His comedic skills under the guise of being a drag queen led him to be one of my favorites during auditions. I couldn’t wait to see him again during this round, hoping he wouldn’t disappoint…
Unfortunately, he did...but not for the reason you think.

He was so overwrought with emotion, that he forgot his lines and messes up his whole act. That is a terrible and painful thing to see; watching people lose their strength and determination to perform an act after so much practice and perfection, and with so much hype and excitement for you to continue what everyone loved you for. It’s that sad.
I felt very sorry for him to start this high, and then reach this fall from grace.. He really was one of my faves, and now it’s disappointing that he won’t go on to the Live Shows. Oh well.
Good luck to him wherever he goes, and hopefully he’ll come back this season and maybe knock it out of the park again.
--
And finally, the last act of Part 2, Selected of God Choir.

Here they perform a cover of Destiny’s Child classic “Survivor”. And already, out of the park, they KILLED it! Their vocals, harmonies and -- were just beautiful. And it was a perfect song for them to sing---just take out ex-boyfriend for something related to evil and you’ve got a perfect performance from a Gospel group. This group is really talented and I hope to hear from them again in the Live Shows.

---

Alighty, the acts have now given their shots in hopes of moving on to Radio City Music Hall. Let’s see who will actually go there.
Advancing to the Live Shows Are:
Daniella Mass
Ira
Benjamin Yonnaton
Uzeyer Novruzov
Craig Lewis Band
DMNation
Selected of God Choir

Those Advancing That I Like Are:
Daniella Mass
Craig Lewis Band
DMNation
Selected of God Choir

I expected myself to be shocked by these decisions; and boy, were my expectations exceeded.

--Ira over Aiden Sinclair? Freaking BLASPHEMY!! Ira is talented (is funny and can sing), but his continuing aspirations for Mel are a turn-off to me. Aiden’s a very good magician, and his acts left me speechless. If anything, he should’ve went through than him.
I mean...puppets!?! Really, judges!? Come ON!
--Another thing is this: another two acts had to go too: Shirley Claire, Ryan Shaw. It’s sad. But it’s understandable why. Some of these acts had to go no matter how great they are. You think it’s hard choosing which ones will go on, try being the judges and see how easy this is. But what makes not much sense is that out of the seven acts that did go through, only four of them I actually like. The rest are mediocre to me at best.
--I read some of the comments on the bottom of the episode’s Hulu page, and some people believe the reason Benjamin got through is because of his terrible sight issue--The judges let him go through because they had sympathy for him. That’s quite understandable, but, I find him a talented dancer, whether blind or not, and I find it annoying that people are continually referring to him as “the blind kid”, which pisses me off. How would you feel is someone refered to other auditionees as “the ex-con magician” (Aiden) or “sexy Colombian” (Daniella) or “the hot old bag” (Shirley) or
I can understand your opinions; It’s the fact that people are calling him “the blind kid” (and not his freakin’ name!) that’s driving me crazy. People, this is the internet! Stop typing in this dumb-ass term and refer to him by his name! It’s not that damn hard!
--

And now, my brief thoughts on Michael Buble as guest judge. He was pretty good. He really charming and had some one-lines that made me laugh (most notably during Uzeyer Novruzov’s re-audition), but he wasn’t as hilarious as NPH, so all is balanced out.

Well, that does it for this week. Another seven acts have made it to the Live Shows--making the number double to 14, and now the stage is set for another 20 acts to try to give it their all for a chance to advance to the Live Shows. Only another seven will be chosen. Who will it be? Check in again next week to find out, along with my critiques of the challengers’ performances as well.
Hopefully this next turn-out will be better. See you later.


No comments:

Post a Comment