Friday, August 14, 2015

Star vs. The Forces of Evil Review: ST OLGA'S REFORM SCHOOL FOR WAYWARD PRINCESSES


Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I am Andrew and I welcome you to the loquacious, superb, and magnanimous article you'll ever see on this trash website.
(Translation: Hey, fellow Stargazers! It's Star vs. The Forces of Evil Review Time!!)

Tonight's review is on the series first ever half-hour episode, meaning this installment is different from other episodes in that it it shown in two pats.
(Translation: It's "St. Olga's Reform School for Wayward Princesses" and it exactly what you want to expect from this show.)

Now, this review is a little different.
You see, usually during this Review series, I write done the description of the episode, with my thoughts randomly inserted between scenes. Here's that's not going to happen. Instead, in honor of this being the first half hour episode, this review will be just...review. No story, no random thoughts, just what you would expect in other reviews. This will be for just this episode, and probably more episodes like this someday. Hope you enjoy it.



In it, Star must face her greatest fear and travel to St. Olga’s Reform School for Wayward Princesses to bust out Flying Princess Pony Head for her birthday.

Lemme tell ya:
Ever since I first heard the words “St. Olga’s Reform School for Wayward Princesses”,
I was quite intrigued. But when I heard it a second time, along this quote from King Pony Head in "Party with a Pony",
“It's reform school, cupcake, not jail. Although admittedly it is a lot like jail.”,
my intrigue increased, and when we saw this,

I wanted MOOOOREE.

When I went to the Wiki site, it revealed that a half-hour episode would air later on in the season, I was excited. But then, when I saw that the episode in question is entitled “St. Olga’s Reform School for Wayward Princesses”... I was overjoyed at what I saw. I couldn’t wait to finally enjoy the dark, scary and menacing confines of St. Olga’s, what Starco would be doing inside, the gameplan to escape and the escape itself.
Then I saw a pic of Marco wearing a dress…



(with eyelashes, apparently) and I was like…”Oooohhhh, YEEEEAAAAHHH. I’m so ready!”.
And now, that it's finally here, I can tell you personally, that this was worth the long wait, and even longer fantasies.

In this episode, it’s Princess Pony Head’s birthday, and Star wants it to be her best ever, and to to that, she has to break her out of St. Olga’s and give her the time of her life.
-This is a crazy gesture, but to me, it’s very sweet as well. Because back in “Party with a Pony”, Pony Head decided to spend her last day of freedom with Star [and Marco, too, or as she referred to him as Earth Turd] by having some fun with them in different dimensions, while hiding from school guards and keeping them low about it. Here Star decides to return the favor by giving her a birthday present worth busting out for. Literally. That being sneaking out St. O’s and going on a day of freedom. But from the little anecdotes we’ve heard about it, that’s not an easy feat. But it’s gonna be a thrill to watch.

I read on the WIkia page that there was a part of the scene where Starco that Star’s outfit transformation (animation and music) were based on Sailor Moon. Which was awesome,and another nifty example of its amazing homages to Anime.

The incidental music used is brilliant. Dark, haunting, sounds used amazing well with each scene involving it. They set the mood off perfectly and get you feeling excited and scared at the same time. It gives the great impression that you're in for the ride of your life, yet the ride has never stops until the end. It's the brilliant work of . This guy should receive more credit for his work.

Let’s get deeper here. I really felt sorry for Pony Head during her stay at St. O’s, even though she may have deserved it. I mean...look at this.

This is just mortifying.
I also felt saddened by what the other princesses go through here. All of the princesses seen in this place were living through a living nightmare, where the people who work there take their individuality, freedom, happiness and spirit, and then turn them into monotone, brainwashed, zombie-esque nothings. And it’s just...unsettling. Makes you wonder why their parents really sent them there in the first place.

Whatever Star said about this place, she was right about. This place is even worse than what she scarcely described. Even if she was overreacting, at least you gotta believe her for all of this. Even that picture I showed earlier is just like what you saw here. Her crying after seeing that poster was entirely justified. (plus, seeing her cry was really sad on its own because we’ve seen her mostly happy and never showed this kind of emotion before).

This episode sent me chills.

But...that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. I loved it! I loved the scary, chilling atmosphere that happened almost throughout, the scenes of the processes going through the banal activities, the chant Marco gives to wake the imprisoned princesses--freeing them from their horrible states and bringing them back to normal, Princess Smooshy eating a bird after a forced singing activity, everything involving Miss Heinous and the guards, the call-backs, Star’s outfit, Marco in a dress and even hearing Snooki Head talking in her native accent. I miss Pony Head and seeing her again was just as joyous.

Oh, and the ending. Let’s just say that this new battle between Starco and Miss Heinous isn’t over.
And I’m excited...

This episode was awesome to watch and a perfect concept for the first full half-hour episode. It was everything I wanted to see about St. Olga’s Reform School, and then some. The writers and story-boarders really did a great job here, and I’m so glad for that.
This series continues to get better and better for me, and if I didn’t watch so soon, I’d regret it. Because the mix of dark and bright is so perfect and the action and comedy are amazingly balanced and used, like it is here (even if this particular episode was mostly dark than bright.).
Bravo, everyone! Bravo.

Favorite Lines:
“at 90%. More tea, please.” Pony Head
“Why are you saying that? You don’t even have pinkies!” -Star
“It’s not criminal to be an individual.” -Marco
“If your -- are on the table, you belong in a stable.” -Miss Heinous
“Annihilate. That;s the term I’ve been looking for!”- Miss Heinous

And that will do with this, the first Star vs. The Forces of Evil Review as just a review. I hope you all have enjoyed the article, and that this will only be temporary, as next week's review will be under the same unorthodox format you have known and loved (begrudgingly).
(Translation: Thanks for joining me here for the first ever just-review-review and see you next week when the next review is the same crap you've gotten used to since March.)
And since this episode ended with a party celebrating the return to normalcy for the imprisoned princesses, next week's "Mewnipendance Day" will feature Star celebrating the history of her home dimension with her Earth friends. You can tell where this leads. And in the opposite of things, Star sets off on her own mission to find...something she saw in a Paid Programming ad, but being Star, things get screwy. It's "The Banagic Incident"!

I shall see you next week for that, but for now, it is time to depart.
(Translation: see you in 7 days! For now I gotta do other things that seem arousing to me.)

I send my sincere thank you to the SVTFOE Wikia page for their contribution to this review.
(Translation: As always, what I said one line ago.)

So, until next time, thank you for joining me and, and enjoy you weekend. Taa-taa!
(aka I'm Andrew, saying "Reach for the Star, and Keep Looking Up!..at your TV screen.")

No comments:

Post a Comment