Wednesday, June 19, 2013

MuchMusic Video Awards: My Review

Hi everybody.
I'm here with yet another awards show review. (Sigh) Although, this time I didn't didn't even notice it was going on. Seriously, I found out on Twitter by a someone I followed, and quickly went to the network's website to watch the livestream. Fortunately, I didn't miss much. I watched straight through and enjoyed the whole thing. The stage was beautiful, the performances were great, production was--Oh right, you're probably asking me "What the f@(# is the MuchMusic Video Awards?". If I could explain it to my brothers and sisters that night without a hitch, maybe I can do the same with you guys. I've been watching since 2010, so this show isn't too cryptic to me.


The MuchMusic Video Awards is an annual music video awards ceremony airing on MuchMusic, a music video network in Canada. It's equivalent to MTV, except that it airs more videos. The MMVAs are a very unique and unconventional awards show. Instead of being held at a big arena or multipurpose studio somewhere in the Great White North, it's instead held in a purpose-built stage in the parking lot at the network's headquarters on Queen Street in Toronto. And instead of having an actor or comedian signed to host, it has the network's "VJs" (a term you've probably haven't heard of in years) host along with some Top-40 chart artist they spend thousands of dollars to get their hands on to say "What's up, Canada?!". The "VJs" (them being Lauren Toyota and Scott Willats) also interview presenters. That's right, interview. The presenters promote whatever movie or TV show they're in (mostly Degrassi and Teen Wolf) and then they either present an award or introduce a performer. You can call it weird, I call it genius.


This years' show is hosted by K-pop icon in Korea/Pop misfit in North America, PSY. I barely could understand him, he slowed his speech which didn't work, and he barely did anything other than perform "Gangnam Style", a song no one ever can or will understand, unless they're Korean, and his second US single/newest K-pop single in his more than 10-year career, "Gentleman". In fact, the show started and ended with PSY performing those songs. But he was a good host, and he really did his best.

I'll get to the winners later on, but first my thoughts on the performances.


After PSY performed "Gangnam Style" for the 50th time, Down with Webster performed "Million to One". I never heard this song before tonight. So...this was a very peppy and futuristic-sounding song, so the performance had to be the same. And I loved every bit of it. The bounce, the boom, the tenacity. I loved everything about the song and the band and would love to hear from them anytime soon.


Next up was Classified (a band or group I never heard of) with "Inner Ninja". This was a nice indie-sounding song with David Myles giving guest vocals. What made me love this song was its inspiration and light-hearted humor that I found in the music video. This performance was nothing more and nothing less. I'm now a Classified fan no doubt.

Ed Sheeran hit up Queen Street performed "Lego House". As much as the title would imply, it's clearly not about Legos, it's about love and staying together throughout the pain and joy of as relationship. This is probably my favorite Ed Sheeran song because it's actually good song with amazing writing and production with a nice message. And in this performance, Ed shows his love for his fans by just being himself playing with a guitar. He needed nothing else, and I'm really okay with that.

After a few minutes, Armin van Buuren asked us to "go Dutch" with "This Is What It Feels Like". I admit, as boring as it was, it (and the song) was also pretty awesome and and had me bang my head a little. I stopped when I hit my head against a wall, but I couldn't stop dancing. The set peaked when the mosh pit sang the title chorus. That was cool. I'll be sure to listen to this for the rest of the Summer.


One of the biggest moments of the night involved host PSY proving he can dance to songs other than his own, especially when no one asked him to. The song in general: "Single Ladies" by Beyonce. Needless to say, I was...impressed. Until he said, "If you liked that, then you better put a ring on it". No. He. Did. Not. Still impressed, by less though.

Straight after, Serena Ryder (a nobody in the US, unless you watch BET for the season 6 promo of The Game) performed a medley of two songs--"What I Wouldn't Do" and "Stompa" (the latter the song used in the Game promo). The set was, from start to finish, awesome. The girl played electric guitar! The crowd was super! I have nothing to say, because I have no words to say!

Then, Avril Lavigne sang "Here's to Never Growing Up". The song is kinda like a song from Peter Pan, having fun, partying, and hanging with your friends. What can I say? Seriously, what? This woman has been in the game for over a decade, cranking out hits like Disney Channel cranks out TV shows with snarky smart-ass kids, paint-thin plots, annoying laugh-tracks and/or twins. I love this song and it's message. The performance was slow, but Avril and group of grunge-looking goons just being there, I sure wasn't bored.

After a turn around Queen Street (is that a TV on the roof??), Marianas Trench sang "Desperate Measures"...with no pants. This was weird, awkward and even questionable. Which is why I call this one of the best moments of the night. It was perfect, astounding, surprising, and definitely hilarious. Flipping, dancing, and underwear showing. This might not be the rage like last decade (thank God) so I'll enjoy it now.

After PSY posed with a green screen standee, calling it taking pictures with everyone in the mosh pit, Phillip Phillips took us home with..."Home". This one had me moving and grooving all over. This guy knows how to make a crowd happy. Home is my favorite song from my favorite male American Idol winner (yeah, I watch it. Shut up.). I can't wait for more from him.

And now for another of one of the biggest moments of the night, Demi Lovato performed a medley of "Give Your Heart a Break" and "Heart Attack". She didn't disappoint. She didn't have to sex up. She didn't have to talk about dicks and vags. AND NO ILLUMIN-something-or-other. All she did was sing and be herself. I love you, Demi.

The last performance was PSY with Gentleman. The co-hosts (and announcer) said it would be big and it was. It was huge, it was great, and it was magnificent (and i'm not talking about the female dancers' butts! PSY likes booty.) It ended in a cavalcade of dancing, a thunderstorm of streamers and and an inflatable frog-faced Asian in a nice suit. It was a great way to close what I call the best MuchMusic Video Awards ever.

And now the winners of this years' MMVAs. They will win a piece of metal. No seriously, the hardware is a piece of metal with the Much logo etched into it. Take a look.
Hilarious, huh? Here's the punchline: here's what it used to look like.

Okay, no near-funny business.

The winners are:
International Video of the Year – Artist - Demi Lovato - Heart Attack
International Video of the Year by a Canadian - Avril Lavigne - Here's to Never Growing Up
International Video of the Year – Group - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz - Thrift Shop
Viral Video of the Year - Psy - Gangnam Style
Your Fave International Artist/Group - Taylor Swift
Pop Video of the Year - Marianas Trench - Desperate Measures
Rock Video of the Year - Serena Ryder - Stompa
Hip Hop Video of the Year - Drake - Started From the Bottom
Post-Production of the Year - Billy Talent - Surprise Surprise
Director of the Year - Director X – Drake - Started From the Bottom
Your Fave Artist/Group - Justin Bieber
Your Fave Video of the Year - Marianas Trench - Stutter
MuchFact Video of the Year - Classified f. David Myles - Inner Ninja
Dance Video of the Year - deadmau5 f. Chris James - The Veldt
Video of the Year - Classified ft. David Myles - Inner Ninja

And that's it for this year. I love everything about it. And I can't wait til next year. I hope you guys learned from me about this show. Remember: BET Awards Review Monday July 1!
See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment