Thursday, June 06, 2013

CMT Music Awards: My Review

Howdy!



Last night, CMT gave us another amazing Music Awards. It took place in Nashville and was hosted by actress Kristen Bell and Country superstar Jason Aldean.

I'll get to the winners of the night a little later, but first the performances.


Starting off the night was host Jason performing with music icon Lenny Kravitz (!) performing his classic hit "American Woman". I had no words; I was blown away. The man can still perform. Even if all he does is walk around, he can perform. And Jason maade it all the more amazing. I may have to watch again to keep all the awesomeness.



Next was Miranda Lambert with "Mama's Broken Heart". This is the first time I ever heard the song, I loved it. She didn't much here, but who cares? She's hot, the song's hot, so the performance is hot. Then was newcomer Kacey Musgraves with "Blowin' Smoke". This is another song I've never heard of until last night. This a really nice song, but the performance was boring. Don't get me wrong, I like the song and find Kacey talented, but the performance nearly put me to sleep. If the song's tempo was up a little higher, which I would like even more, then the performance would be more exiting.


Darius Rucker performed "Wagon Wheel" with Lady Antebellum. He started in the aisles of the Bridgestone Arena and into the stage to rock the house. All of you pretty much know him as former frontman of Hootie & the Blowfish(sadly, not me), before making a successful solo move to country and hasn't looked baked since. This song is a huge example of this. Lady Antebellum's involvement only ups the ante.


Hunter Hayes and Luke Bryan performed their songs outside the BA because, according to Kristen Bell "this arena's not big enough for all this Riiiight. Anyway, Hunter performed "I Want Crazy". He performed liked the title implied; he rocked the house and shut it down. So did Luke Bryan when he performed "Crash My Party". As slow as this song is, I love the warm feeling Luke has going on here. He gives it to the audience and they give it right back to him. I just love that vibe she gives to him.


And now...(Sigh)...Taylor Swift. Oh wait, she's not performing a breakup song. Oh thank God. She performed "Red" in a red dress (a really hot one) on a red stage. Brilliant, huh? Anyway, I was actually prepared to press mute so I don't have to hear one of her many famous "I'm pissed about this boy so I'll sing about it" songs. It didn't happen this time. It was a pretty nice performance. Although I didn't see anything on stage besides Taylor herself that was a pretty darn good performance...that ended in Taylor pretending to look fierce. Keep pretending to be looking fierce, Taylor.


Later Lady Antebellum performed "Goodbye Town". It was minimalist, but they did a great job of keeping entertained. Then, another great group Little Big Town performed "The Chain". Twas such a classy song. That is until Keith Urban showed up and blew classy away and replaced it with awesome. Minutes later host Jason Aldean returned
(Again? in my Rocky voice) to sing "Night Train". Basically a song about getting down and getting it on...in a train...I think. Anyway, it was a great performance and yet another reason to love country even more. Oh and speaking of Jason, he and Kristen Bell did the usual host making jokes thing between performances. They weren't that funny. Really.


Carrie Underwood, a native of Oklahoma, performed a version of her hit "See You Again" to reflect the devastation and rebuilding of the state. At the end she was joined by a white-robed choir; needless to say, it was beautiful, touching, classy and absolutely amazing. This is certainly one of the best performances of the night. Almost had me to tears.


And finally, Florida Georgia Line perform their hit "Cruise". Even though I'm not much of a fan of this song, this performance made dance in my seat a little. And they made this performance great on their own...until Nelly showed up. That's right, folks, Nelly is a featured artist on a remix of "Cruise" so what better than for CMT to bring him to the show and to have him perform it with FGL and end the night with a bang? Nothing really. He came and shut it down and helped ended the set (and the show) in great fashion. Okay, I'm now a fan. Shut up.

And now the winners of this years' show. Although the nominees are cryptic to me, they are good songs to be nominated. Here are the well-deserved/lucky winners,

Video of the Year: Carrie Underwood – "Blown Away"
Duo Video of the Year: Florida Georgia Line – "Cruise"
Group Video of the Year: Lady Antebellum – "Downtown"
Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton – "Sure Be Cool If You Did"
Female Video of the Year: Miranda Lambert – "Mama's Broken Heart"
Collaborative Video of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – "The Only Way I Know"
CMT Performance of the Year: Miranda Lambert – "Over You" from CMT Artists of the Year
Breakthrough Video of the Year: Florida Georgia Line – "Cruise"
Nationwide Insurance On Your Side Award: Hunter Hayes

I hope you enjoyed this review as I have enjoyed the show. See you at the end of this month for my review of the BET Awards. And see you next time for my next topic. See ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment