Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Roar and Brave: Do They Sound the Same? Yeah

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I release a Short Long Music Review on the new Katy Perry song "Roar". In it I called it an exception to the female empowerment song that is almost nothing like I've heard from Katy before and that this is a proves the Katy-Cats will go to war with Lady Gaga and the Little Monsters and promise some epic lashing and whatever.

But today, I got a shock when I noticed something I didn't notice before. I'll get to the details later, but first: Do you remember Sara Bareilles? You know, "I'm not gonna write you a Love Song" and "Who died and made you King of Anything?". Yeah, her.
Well, she made a song earlier this year called "Brave". It's about facing your fears and being yourself in a crowd of look-a-likes and imitators. I really liked that song and would play it over and over every chance I could on YouTube. It's got an awesome beat and inspiring lyrics paired with a very nice voice from Sara. It's something you should listen to if you have the chance.
So here it is below.

Everyone has heard of the song and has sang the praises...including Katy.
She tweeted this about Sara:


So why are these songs garnering controversy? Because they sound very similar. That's right, the two songs sound nearly exactly the same. In fact, if you play them together, back to back, it's like you're listening to one song with a little overlap between. Here, check it out yourself on PopCultureBrain.
http://popculturebrain.com/post/58069632801/portkey-listen-katy-perrys-roar-layered

An amateur producer even mixed them into a really nice super-song. It's f*cking awesome.


I noticed this when I was watching Inside Edition today. It surprised me. It shocked me. It made me want to make this post to my advantage. (Okay that last part was a joke, but you get the gist.) And I couldn't believe I haven't noticed this before. Shame on you Katy Perry. Shame on you for taking this wonderful song and making yours sound like it. You deserve the criticism you'll get from this. And to think I really loved "Roar" for sounding less like female empowerment" (I get more stupid every time I type this) song and your slutty slut whore songs (and there are many. Peacock, anyone?) I should want to boycott by not listening to it anymore, but I like it a lot to do otherwise. I won't do it; I really like it.

Anywho, Sara has noticed this, but is taking it in stride, tweeting:


(She's probably happy with the added boost of talk of the song, but that's just me.)

Anyway, Katy, you have to make not much PR on this "scandal", because this song is too good enough to make this even worse. At least this wasn't sampled, because that's not the biggest thing to do in music ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment