Tuesday, August 13, 2013

SLMR: Roar

That's right. Yet another Short/Long Music Review.
So, if Lady Gaga's back, then I guess Katy Perry's back too. Since Teenage Dream was released, and its singles were huge hits on the charts, becoming #1 hits in the process, she went on tour, appeared on TV, and made movies including The Smurfs, which actually was a good mivie (although when I saw it at the theatre, my eyes were closed the whole time.

After that, she was out of the music world, so far gone no one was talking about her in terms of music, and wanting her to show off her daisy dukes and bikini top once again...that is until a picture of a gold truck that read "Katy Perry Prism" showed up last month, geniusly telling the world that Katy-Cats are pouncing back to Earth. The first single of the upcoming album was Roar.


This song is about female empowerment (Oh god) and the need to be strong and forget the--okay, I'll tell you this. I hate female empowerment songs...but this can be an exception.

It isn't dark, it isn't scary, and it isn't yawnish. It's a song written in a Punky Brewster-type of way, like saying "Our relationship isn't working. You suck balls. I'm leaving you ass. See you in Hell" (and there is no way Katy is going other way. Not even her parents are helping her.)
As for the beat, it's almost like nothing I've heard from her in--well, ever. She sounds different, there's more smoothness into it, and it's not about a slut. Because that's what we want these days.
Oh and I will admit this. As I have said, I usually hate female empowerment songs. With a passion. They always talk about the woman being stronger after she leaves her lover, about how she's always in a sh!tty relationship and they're everywhere. They will never leave. There are more of them then love songs, breakup songs, party songs and even parody songs.



In fact why aren't there any male empowerment songs? I wanna hear how a guy can leave a bad relationship and come out stronger. I don't care if he cheated. I don't mind if there aren't many. I just want to hear this a million times so I can pay for all the stupid FEM-EM songs I've listened to over the years.
Oh and there is no music video yet, so stay tuned. Katy, you have a hit on your hands. You might be a big star soon, so keep up the good work. I like music that sonds like music from the 1980s. I would buy the album if you promise one thing? Be a slut for me in at least two songs and I'll be in heaven. That way the rest of the record isn't so dirty.

And there it is: one song that proves the Katy-Cats will go to war with the Little Monsters and promise some epic lashing and makeup and glitter everywhere. Something I'd pay my house and whatever's in my pocket for. See you next time if I find another song that may be another Song of the Fall...or something that gets me more pageviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment