Thursday, June 18, 2015

So You Think You Can Dance Weekly Review: Auditions--Ep. 3


Welcome back to my Review of So You Think You Can Dance.
The Auditions stage so far have been...mixed for me. While I have enjoyed some dancers' first impressions, they haven't been as great as those of more memorable dancers of past seasons. And don't get me started on others. Here was different, though.

As the first stage of Season 12 reached Tinseltown, I hoped things rise up from there. I mean, things will get better. At least where I can finally tolerate Paula talking.



After the judges talked about their years dancing, we're ready for another group of potential superstars that will try to take our breaths away.

Since this episode was 2 hours long, I won't review every audition. So here are some select dancers I was extremely impressed by. Which was ironic, because almost every audition here was spectacular.

First up is (and "Shalom" to) 23-year-old Asaf Goren, originally from Tel Aviv, Israel, and currently residing in Burbank.

I really liked him and the suave-yet-goofy charm he had going on, especially when he reveals that people ask him if he owns a camel, and the horn he carried. Also, he's called the "Hebrew Breaker" (nice). Seemed like a cool dude to appear in the competition, so his Street moves have to count, right?

Right is the word. As he uses his Schaal--

--his Shawl to cover his head during the audition, you would think he would do something stupid that would injure himself hard. But no, it makes it better. The audition was exciting, exuberant and. The ways he hit the floor with his body and still dances amazingly were just over and over heart-stopping; I could've died from seeing that, but then I would've missed the rest of his dance. Using his shawl and his wife-beater to cover his head while dancing added a pleasant amount of surprise to it, and kept me on the edge of my seat. And those spins were freakin' BOSS.
And then he pulled out a bucket of water. Holy shit.
This was one of the best auditions I've ever seen--not only this season, but also from the years I watched this show. He deserved the OK-Gold immediately, and I was ecstatic that he did. He needs to go to the Lives immediately. He needs to reach the top immediately.
In Nigel's British words, "that was Bloody Great B-Boy". This young look-a-like of Rock Hudson (and Aladdin!) really will go very far in Dance.

It's a shame I had to see that during the promos. I could've be blown away while not watching that.

And the awesomeness seeped to The Other Side, when Armenian-born, Boston-bred, Stage-r Avo Karapetyan joined the fray.
His audition began with spins and that already shocked the the judges (understandably), but impressed me too, very well. His grace, talent and posture was lovely and charming, and the control from hitting the wall or sides of the stage was impressive. In fact, his flying around the stage reminded me of Peter Pan. But not the Disney or Broadway incarnations, but this Pan.

His audition was just as brilliant as Asaf Gorem's and I was happy he got a ticket too. I also can't wait to see him in the Lives as well.
"LA is bringin' it!" -Jason, to my agreement

"Jaja" is back! You guys may remember Jana Vancova (originally from the Czech Republic, now living in LA) from last season. She did an audition for the judges and reached the next stage, but she didn't make it in past the Top 50 to the Lives. Now, she's returned and tries again. This time...guns a-blazin' (haha-ha)

Her audition this season? In two words: "No way".
First, she had the movements of a robot. That was awesome.
Then she shook like a vibrator. That was awesome.
Then she did her damn thing! That was not awesome. THAT WAS F*CKING DOPE!
The synchronicity with the music was flawless. She has the moves of Justin Bieber...if Justin Bieber could dance a little better. The dance was deliciously awesome, and she really needs to go to the Lives too. I don't know why the judges from last season didn't get her further then, but they'd be idiots not to let her go farther this season.
And another, there are some dancers born in other countries that are getting in from this berth of Auditions. And they're damn great!

Allen Genkin, 24 from Philadelphia, is one brave man.
This next dancer has has a lot of pain in his life after taking on his mother's dream of dancing. She passed away when he was only 15. He later got testicular cancer, and had surgery to remove the disease, with four months of intense chemo piling on. From there, I really hoped, even though I usually don't add in sob stories to my opinions, that he would move on. It really pains me when someone loses a parent so early in their lives, as I've been there.
I really loved the quickness of him and his super-lovely female dancer, and effortless spins and flips they did. They have the talent worthy of Dancing with the Stars; I definitely can see them both as professional dancers on the show competing with their C-list, D-list, ABC reality show and YouTube-star partners.

Jim Nowakowski is a dancer who is also a sort of a brave man.
After being born with an open cleft lifted palate, he endured many surgeries to cover the upper lip, causing years of being a target of bullying. He uses Dancing to cope with the pain, and wants to inspire others with his Stage skills. And, Boy, did he!
I loved those leaps, that little slide to the floor, the breathtaking slow split, and his developpes were also breathtaking (Hey, I knew the word because Jason said it. Be quiet!). His spirit and passion were on display, and both were amazingly vibrant. Plus, his Paula made mention of his legs, which I think are tall and slender for a guy, but they damn well work for his audition. I (and the judges, and the audience) really enjoyed him and his stay in the competition will strengthen that enjoyment.

Well...this was awesome! I loved everyone I reviewed; they all have such talent, posture, grace and exitement in their dance auditions. Thay all carry that certain reason why I'm glad I watch this show, and I will be overjoyed to see them again during the Vegas part of the season.
This was a great episode. And I enjoyed every minute of it. Suffice to say, this season will be exciting.

See you next week for more SYTYCD Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment