Friday, June 05, 2015

So You Think You Can Dance Weekly Review: Auditions Ep. 1: Feared, Funny, Fantastic & Fabulous


Hey, everyone.
I'm Andrew, and I'm excited to say that So You Think You Can Dance is back! And I'm also glad to say that my Review of SYTYCD is also back! Yes!!

This time around instead of starting my reviews with the Live Shows, I've decided to start with the very beginning. The Auditions. And from there, I'm giving my thoughts on the dancers, the dances and the critiques that I like and want to see go further. This time, I hope we'll start this ride from the entrance
and not the middle where we end up in danger and die. So let's get started!

For the premiere, the first set of auditions are in Memphis, Tennessee. And out of the gate, the dancers showed up, showed out and showed promise. Here are my thoughts on some of the dancers I liked:

First up, Andre from Atlanta, and already he impressed me with his popping. locking and slow-motion dancing, so much, it’s like he made me thought he had a demon in his body making the popping happen. Dude is scary good. So he got a golden ticket. I agreed with Nigel about his movement; he really needs to move around on stage if he wants to stay to make a true impression.

Jordan Hilgenberger from Creedmont, FL tranced us with her Stage moves. All she did was interpretive dancing. Which was really great, but didn’t really take my breath away. I do hope she’ll improve and get better with ease.

Ladia Yates from Richmond impressed Jason with her moves. Like a lot. (He “woo”-ed three times in a row) And me too--to an extant. She had the energy, but her flow felt stiff and she repeated some of the moves. The ankle twist was amazing, and I would love to see her do that again sometime. And good thing, too, since she did get the golden ticket.
Later on, we got a treat from her students, dancing to Jason’s hit “Talk Dirty”, which he sang to live. These tykes are really cute and can dance themselves. Good job, y’all.

Up next, Courtney Barnes from Jackson, MS returned to show off his flamboyant and fabulous self again for the judges. And he got me saying “How You Doin’” to his groove. But apparently, it was her(?) hair that grabbed their attention. And they nearly lost their minds over it. His begging was enough to persuade Paula and Nigel to get him to Vegas.
I like him. His style was great (might give RuPaul a run)

--

During one of the interviews on Day 2, the lights shut down unexpectedly, scaring everyone. It was because downtown Memphis shut down because of an underground fire under a local fire station. Because of this, the auditions were postponed, and everyone was left in tears,
At first it was intense, and then it got severely heartbreaking. I felt so sorry for everyone, realizing their dreams are dashed for the next year. And this was a pain for me as much as them. That is...until a generator was found. Thank God, as everyone DID get to dance later on,
and can live out their dreams for another day,

Hello to Dallas!
The first dancer, Miami’s Guillermo Morales, is something of a G around these parts. As in G for Garage. He’s a valet at a local hotel. But has the ego of someone giving him their car.
For the audition, his dance packed the emotion and passion, and gave his all, enough for the
This dude has the likability and goofiness to go on (along with his style and moves), and I like him a lot, so I’m glad he got to move on. His cheesy intro clip helped.


Judge Chat:
Memphis
When Paula talked...it felt like she was talking too much. Like for 5 minutes straight.

The new judges were great. Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo were perfect in their new roles. They knew what they were talking about, they gave perfect critiques and they were great on stage themselves, since they are fantastic dancers. And I didn’t hate them one bit. I’m going to enjoy them as the season progresses. Oh yeah, and Nigel Lythgoe was great as usual. I like him too.

And I love the new format: giving street dancers and stage dance a place on the stage, and then have them compete genre vs. genre, and also have them learn and show off their skills in other genres, This season is going to be even more exciting than the last, and will take the show itself to new heights. Oh boy, I’m giddy for what will come next!!

Anyway, other than that, this premiere was amazing. Watching all these new acts take the stage and impress us with their skill, it shows that So You Think You Can Dance continues to be a hot destination for entertainment, excitement AND fun. I can’t wait to see what more dancers will do to impress and excite as the season continues. Who will excite? And who will disappoint? We’ll find out next week as the auditions begin to heat up.

Thanks for joining me for the first review of the new season of So You Think You Can Dance, and check back next week when I continue my critiques of this season. Until then, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment