Tuesday, July 08, 2014

#RisingStar Weekly Review: Episode 3--Some Nights, I'm Gonna Be Somebody, as Long as The Lights Stay On


Welcome to Maroon Mondays' weekly review of Rising Star, the newest reality singing competition show in America (of many). Well, I wanted to do this to--well, because there's nothing else to do on a Sunday night. Also, this is not a review by a professional columnist; just from a guy who created this blog because he was bored with his life. These are my opinions, and I stand by them. And they're much more subtle (and much less brutal) than the reviews on the TV show websites.

Thank you for joining me once again.
Well, this has been a questionable few weeks for me. Before this blog, I’ve never be so engrossed in a TV show, much more a singing competition show. I just watch, laugh it it's funny, frown if it's dramatic and feel good if I've enjoyed it. And since Rising Star came in, I found interest because of its innovating concept: contestants sing on live television in front of three judges (dubbed the “Experts”) for the viewers’ votes, but first they have to get past a wall that’s activated by the viewers’ likeness. Because they are the judges. But, there have been times on this show where I haven't enjoyed it.
But these few weeks have been a problem to me; I was hoping for some really nice (to say the least) singers with a few fantastic singers in between like you see on Idol and The Voice. Instead I got some singers that are somewhere between mediocre and downright horrible. And after a few of these audition, we finally get one-two good ones that I truly like, like Joshua Peavy, Jesse Kinch, April Lockhart, Austin French and this week's fantastic performer Gabrielle Tyson. So let's get into this week's review, because I'm celebrating the fact that this audition round crap is over. I just want to hear Jesse sing again.


Dana Williams from Los Angeles was up first. I liked her already from her home video at 5. She had the nice voice that could make you light-headed and love that feeling. She performed Rihanna’s “Stay”. Her low parts are very “Meh”. Also it sound better than how Rihanna herself it, judging by how she makes her music now-a-days. So with 87%, Dana becomes yet another contestant moving on.


Unselfish, a group from Atlanta, took the stage next to sing “Some Nights” by fun.. They surprisingly remind me a little of the R&B groups of the 50s and 60s. They have the style and harmony to be the next boy band, but the song they chose wasn’t the best. And unfortunately, because of that, it wasn’t enough to get them to the next round, as the Wall did not Raise, and they went back to the ATL with 46%. Plus, their setting up their positions and jumping was corny.


Cliff Cody, a goat herder from Somerset, Ohio performed “I’m Gonna Be Somebody”. He reminds me of a large, bearded, singing Bray Wyatt. You know, without the creepy behavior, Hawaiian tourist shirts or Exorcist walk. His voice is so deep and booming, which I like a lot. He did have some pitch issues, as pointed out by Kesha, plus it was too booming. So despite Brad voting “Yes”, the Wall didn’t rise, and with 49%, he went back to the city where the Sun sets with his herd of goats, hoping they would enjoy his singing and bleat with joy.


Audrey Kate Geiger, from New York City, joined in later to perform Sam Smith’s “Stay with Me”. I’ve never heard of Sam Smith, but this song is so really good, so you should listen to his music sometime. Her voice is just perfect. It’s smooth and soft, and yet sexy. And to me, it reminds classic folk and jazz singing All Experts tapped “Yes”, and with that, she went through with 84%.
Her voice and rendition wa so great, that I name her my Favorite Performance of the Week.


Next, another group; Gabby Puyat and Michael Dunn aka Oh.M.G. And OMG, were they mixed. They sing my favorite song from Ellie Goulding, “Lights”. Her voice was very good, but not very exciting and his voice wasn’t great at all. Putting them together doesn’t do well. Luda voted “No”, while Kesh tapped “Yes”. It wasn’t enough to save them. I do wonder if she’d fare better by herself, but she might not also go though; she would’ve done better by viewer votes. I’d be really mean to say they ruined that song; so I’ll say this. At 33%, they messed with “Lights” and they really shouldn't have.


Later on after the 3-minute split, Gabrielle Nicole Tyson from Cleveland came to the stage to perform “My Man” from classic Broadway musical and film Funny Girl. And Man, can she sing. Her voice is beautiful, powerful and magnificent. She can hit the notes like Mike Tyson hits his opponents; she definitely packs the punch in her performance. Josh said everyone in the studio had goosebumps from it, and that Barbra Streisand heard it, she’d be really proud. I’ve had goosebumps all over, and if that way my song she sang, I’d definitely be proud of Gaby...and maybe a little jealous. Brad says “You are ridiculous!!” Her voice is far from ridiculous. And if the network allowed, Kesha would’ve expressed her gratitude by using every expletive in the book. Fortunately for me, this is the Internet, so I’ll do that. F*** yes!! That c**t is going to the duels!! Yass b****, yasss!! Go on wit’cha fine-a** self, mutha-f***a!! And your fine ass.

And now some Random Thoughts:
--Venison Jerky was wearing a nice light blue shirt. I liked it. Josh also liked it. #Brosh
--I think Unicorn Tears might be high. This might be because of her former image...or how much hair dye she’s using every week. I don’t want to go, but she need to shape up when the show goes to the Duels round.
--Also, Mr. ShutTheHellUp (aka Luda) is getting better as a judge as the show progresses. His critiques are on point, he really knows who sucks and who shines, and I don’t want to boo him like the audience does cause when the do, he hits right back. Last week’s shot inspired me to give him an in-review nickname, just like I did Brad and Kesha. Luda shall come back next season. I was surprised to see him as the best Expert out of them all.
--Later, during talk with the contestants, Josh asked Gabrielle which contestant she would be afraid of in the finals. Gabi answered by turning the question, wondering if some contestants would be afraid of HER . I understand that there can be diva-like contestants on singing shows, and she might have a lot of confidence in herself, but she took this a bit too far by saying that. Now because of this, she might turn out very unlikeable by the other contestants. She should wonder who she is afraid of now.
--Also, Kesha gets more boring as an Expert. Here, she looks like a rip-off of Katy Perry, she’s too nice to all contestants, when she gives criticism it’s weak and cuddly, and even if she doesn’t like a contestant (which, by the way, is five times; including ONCE this week) the things she say isn’t as constructive or powerful as the other Experts (even Brad). If she comes back next season, she needs to be more straightforward and less sugar-coated.

This week’s Expert Chat was really strange. First Josh talked to Unicorn Tears about “catcalls” which she explains is her fans doing some ritual. I don’t know about this chick; her slutty party girl image was a parody, and that was funny to watch. Now, there's...nothing. Later, Josh and Luda again talked about the former’s socks. Things can’t get as cheesy as that. This time, they have a Luchador face on both sides. But I really like the socks, and I really want them.

Okay...Now, back to the singing.

Karen Hornsby is next up from from Jacksonville, Florida. She sang Celine Dion’s “To Love You More”. Before I get to the criticism, I must say this: I felt heartbroken to learn that her baby daughter has brain cancer. No parent should ever have a child go through so much pain and fear so early in their lives that something horrible can take it so quickly, even if they don’t know anything about it. I wish her and her family the best of hope and prayer. And now, my thoughts...
I felt that she has a voice that is a knock-off of Celine Dion and impressed me in some parts with the high notes, but the low notes well kinda so-so at best. To be an older contestant in a competition with many younger ones, it takes a lot of guts to sing beside a group of people who are barely no longer sperm and eggs, and come out with 82%. I applaud her bravery to do so.

Tread with caution while watching...

Up next, a group of triplets named Jordan, Lance and Miles Tindall who came to make a(nother) name for themselves in music. Who are they? They’re Tx3.
Well...the good thing about them is--they do look good, and have the package to be department store models for Abercrombie or H&M. Now the bad thing--they stink as singers. They truly stink. During the first note of their rendition of Andy Grammer’s “Keep Your Head Up”, I squirmed. They are are good individually, but really terrible as a group. From the beginning, I knew they would not go through, and so did the rest of the viewers--well except for 22% of them, who wanted them to go through. I don’t know who voted, but I wish I want to know why. Outside of their looks, what do they see in their voices? If their eyes were closed, they’d vote “No” immediately. And speaking of “No”, Luda and Venison voted just that. Meanwhile, Unicorn Tears chose “Yes”. Why?!? They suck, the harmonies are terrible, they can’t sustain a note, and they’re too bad . Also, I don’t what’s up with the audience. They cheer them on, their supportive of them, and when they booed Luda during his constructive criticism of them, knowing full well that they’re really terrible, it pissed me off. What do they see in the--Oh that’s right. Their looks.
I’ve lost faith in humanity.


Next, Skye Griffin from Houston sang Rihanna’s “Only Girl (In the World)”. I read on Twitter that she once sang on stage with Kanye West, so it was interesting to see her perform tonight. It was a bad idea for her. She does have a good voice, but did have pitch problems in place. Plus she messed up at the end; fortunately the end, though, because if she screwed up anywhere else, it would’ve gotten worse for her. Luda liked her boots, but didn’t like her voice; I didn’t love it that much either. Singing Rihanna is really hard, even if she has gotten more processed and sexualized these days. So with the paltry 28%, Skye goes back home to hope that Yeezus (ugh.) gives her a miracle to sing beside him again.


And finally this week (and for auditions this season), Morgan Higgins from San Clemente, CA sang “Alone” by Heart.
Her voice is questionably iffy to me. She has a nice voice, but in some places it kinda puzzles me. The closest thing that comes to me is that she sounds like a better version of Vanessa Hudgens or a rip-off of Rachel Berry. I like her voice, but it’s so--umm--odd to me to hear something like this, especially at the end. And the part where she reaches the high note too hard cements that. She got through with 79%. Also, the part where her family is rocking out to her is hilarious, especially when her parents were dancing like they went to a couple Heart concerts in their day.

WEST COAST RESULTS:
Dana Williams: 84%/-3%
Unselfish: 48%/+2%
Cliff Cody: 44/-5%
Aubrey Kate Geiger: SAME
Oh.M.G.: 35%/+2%
Gabrielle Nicole: 89%/-1%
Karen Hornsby: 79%/-3%
Tx3: 25%/+3%
Skye Griffin: 29%/+1%
Morgan Higgins: 77%/-2%

BEST PERFORMANCE: Gabrielle Nicole Tyson (Honorable Mention: Dana Williams)
WORST: (Definitely) Tx3 (Dishonorable Mention: Skye Griffin and Oh.M.G.)

And that is finally it. The auditions stage has finally concluded and we have only 5 days until the Duels begin. I'm so excited, I can't stand it!! I hope you are, too. See you guys next Tuesday for the first Duels review. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment