Monday, July 14, 2014

#RisingStar Weekly Review: Ep 4--the Du-els Part 1-Bring Me the Ed-Boy!!

Hey, everybody.
It’s finally here. The Du-els; the part of the show where semi-finalist pass the Wall and into the next barrier: Using against another contestant and hope for another Raise into the Finals. One will -- while one will be metaphorically be repeatedly slapped with a fish without a to get up for a second...and then fall by the wayside.
The performances are packaged together and will appear between the contestant’s critiques.

First up, Alice Lee faces off against Lisa Punch. Two ladies with power and punch in their voices. Alice was up first singing “Wings” by Little Mix. She reached 69%. I thought it was a little irritating to hear voice. To be more critical, I didn’t really love it. She did sound really good at the first half, but got a little worse as it progresses. She put a bit too much power into it, and sounded like Broadway. Someone on Twitter asked me if I thought she was “Out-screaming” her voice. That made more sense and made me think a little more. She did scream-sing a lot and I just didn’t like to hear it.

Now, it’s Lisa Punch. She was much better here singing P!nk’s “Perfect”. She belted out her best, which was awesome and . Unfortunately, Luda and Brad tapped “No”, which was detrimental to the voting, and therefore lost the Du-el to Alice with a close 66%. And that made me mad! No offence to Alice (she’s good) but Lisa was a way better belter and had a much better voice than her. I just cannot agree with the male Experts’ decision. I’m also beginning to hate Luda’s socks. They and America got it wrong here...at least until the West Coast saved her during its airing later on. She got a

Next, Megan Tibbits takes on Sarah Darling. Megan performed first with Sir Paul McCartney “Summertime”. She had a perfect sultry voice that really complimented the song. And when she reached those high notes, I swear I fainted and went to Heaven...or ended up with 8 tentacles, slept with a Hamburger and had Squid/Burger baby...and not in a good way. They sounded strange and pitchy, and I couldn’t tell; she took me there.
All three Experts tapped “Yes” and she ended up with 71%.

After the 3-minute leap, Sarah went behind the Wall to perform “I Hope You Dance”. Wow, I loved it as much as Megan’s performance. Maybe even more. Her voice was soft, gentle and fantastic. Just perfect to lull you to sleep and you’d wake up satisfied. You know what, I think Sarah should’ve came out the clear winner. They and America got it wrong...again.

And finally, the last one of the night (wow!! How quick!) and the most painful.
Will Roth came first to sing Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball”. Strange choice to sing, but he delivered on it. He made a better version than Miley herself did, I think. In fact, had “Wrecking Ball” been produced as a Rock-pop song or straight-up Rock song, I would’ve like it more than the thing we have today.
Luda said “No”, but Venison Jerky and Unicorn Tears tapped “Yes”, leaving Will with an unfortunate 57%. It’s very horrible for Will to go home as he’s a fantastic singer, but I knew from there that Jesse will come and destroy him easily.

Finally, the golden boy of Rising Star, Jesse Kinch rocked out to “Whipping Post”. I knew he was going through no matter what song he sings, and so did the Experts. Jesse just gave his freaking all and IMMEDIATELY our dear old Jesse went through with a whopping 93%. Mr. ShutTheHellUp shut the Hell up for once and said, to my agreement, “America has spoken!”. I feel saddened that the two had to face off against other instead of other people, but it had to done. I’m still pissed off though.

And now, Random Thoughts:
--First off, I thought the concept of the Du-el (yes, I’m typing it like that) was for both singers to appear behind the Wall and face each other sing the same song, with the singer with the highest amount of Audience votes going through to the next round.
Weird Socks Alert: This time, it wasn’t Josh wearing something strange and fuzzy to show off this week; it was Luda. Initially, Luda was deceitful of the short johns that Josh has been rocking and bragging about for the past few weeks. But then, as the show progressed, he’s warmed up to them (literally)
You know what, I’m noticed a trend: Bad singers going through because of them reaching high notes and getting the Experts excited, because that’s what they want. They want contestants who have powerful voices and can reach high notes; it doesn’t matter how well they are. They say it outright every time; Luda says to Megan that she didn’t give him the high notes like he wanted. Their actions clearly showed it, also, being more excited when Alice and Megan sang, and bored when Will, Lisa and Sarah sang. We're not looking for a Pop singer, guys!! We’re looking for the next singing sensation. Apparently, it seems that won’t happen.

So I went into the Du-els excited and left angry. I’m puzzled that two people I liked left (one against another singer I liked) and that another barely made it. Oh well, we’ll have to see where this goes from here next week. See you for The Du-els part 2. See you next Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment