Friday, July 04, 2014

#SYTYCD Live Review: Ep 1--Green Shirt, Black Swans and Mr. Wiggle

Welcome to Maroon Mondays’ review of the Live Shows of “So You Think You Can Dance”.
Hey, everyone. Welcome to the first review!
This week’s guest judge was pop superstar Jason Derulo. He also performed his hit “Wiggle” later in the show; I’ll get to that later. I would like to point out this is also the show’s 200th episode, which is impressive for any TV show any genre, let alone a reality show.
As with my reviews of Rising Star, the opinions are less professional than those of the TV-show websites.


The newly-crowned Season 11 Live Show dancers all performed a wonderful routine to Kingdom’s “Stalker Ha”.They all looked liked back-up dancers for Madonna circa Vogue or Lady Gaga, circa The Fame, whey the dress slightly less odd than her. The part of the beginning where they took their hats and put them on other’s heads was my favorite. The synchronicity was also perfect.
After the credits, the dancers are revealed. Don’t they have the most unique and/or normal sounding names on TV? They do to me.


First up, Sergei & Brooklyn cha-cha-ed to “Hell Yeah” by Midnight Red. I thought they did very good. They brought some fire during choruses, but I felt it was basic at times. And might I add--Brooklyn’s legs. DAYUM.


Next, Emily & Casey. She eats breakfast for dinner, He lives in Seattle, but hates the rain.
They did a dance that was symbolic of a couple in a painful relationship, played to John Legend’s “All of Me”. It was wonderful. Nice amount of physical contact and intimacy. That made that once powerful. Jason said “Sometimes, It’s not about Technique”, it’s about the story and touching people”, something he does know about as Mr. “Talk Dirty to Me”. And he’s right.


Then, Valerie & Zack. She can really eat an omelette, He likes Hood Rap and not Country (he’s White by the way).
They do a ravishing tap number to “Sing” by Ed Sheeran. I thought the tapping didn’t match the song some parts, but since tapping is very hard to do and maintain, I thought it was really wonderful. It impressed me halfway to the end. They did a great job, enough for Nigel to say “WOW” ever and over.


And now, Bridget & Stanley. She massages feet, He does something that has to do with Michael Jackson. They do a Contemporary to “Doesn't’ Mean Goodbye”. I love a dance when both dances do the exact same moves at the exact same time. And they did that! It was beautiful, and brought realism and authentic emotion that had me pulled in. Mary couldn’t say such big world that I didn’t know that made sense about the dance, and Jason was crying. So he loved it, too.


Next, Jacque (Jack-eee) & Jourdan (both female). She talks fast, She...also talks fast. Okay. Anyway, I’ve never seen two ladies dance together on the show before, so I was excited to see what happens, and I...enjoyed it.
They performed a Ballet number to “Pas De Deux - Black Swan - Tchaikovsky” by Richard Bonynge & The London Symphony Orchestra (thank God for YouTube or else I wouldn’t have remembered it all in my one-track mind). It was a very pleasant and enjoyable dance. It wasn’t the best of the night but very enjoyable, nonetheless. I sometimes love to watch ballet on TV and I do impromptu dances sometimes out of nowhere a lot, so I loved the dance, and the two looked beautiful. I’m proud of them and I hope they move to the next round.


Straight after, The set quickly changed and Jason somehow changed clothes to perform “Wiggle”. You don’t need a description to know what’s it about. Okay, fine. It’s about a dude’s desire to see a woman shake her ass. It’s probably the 1,000th song about that. Snoop Dogg made a surprise appearance to do his verse.


After the 3 Minutes, it’s Marlene & Marquet. She eats lots of chocolate like she got dumped, He failed the 2nd grade at three different schools. DAMN. They did an awesome Salsa number to Morning Drums by . The vibe was wonderful, both did a great job, and they looked really good in green, especially Marquet.
The audience clapping added to the perfection. They brought fire to the dance from start to finish.
I loved it so much, that I name this dance Favorite Dance of the Week.


And now, Carly & Rudy. She mixes Rs & Ls like...some ethnic group, He’s possibly a Latino from the South. They perform a to “Take It Easy” by Jetta. It was perfectly dramatic and powerfully heartwarming. It made Mary cry (tears of joy). I loved the wind blowing of Carly’s dress, which added to the drama; it was too good not to enjoy. Jason said these two aren’t going home next week; I definitely believe him. They’re too good to be eliminated.


Emilio & Teddy. He’s Puerto Rican...and curses.
They did a number as janitors at a workplace during night shift to...well, “NightShift” by the Commodores. It’s pretty good. I didn’t see much of it for a critique, though.


Later, Jessica & Ricky. She believes Mermaids are real, He shops at Thrift Stores ( I like him already).
They did a haunting dance to “Vow” by Meredith Monk. It was a really perfect dance; so intense, so powerful, so emotional, so amazing, so...wow. I literally have no more words to describe it. Cat called it other-worldly, and I don’t blame her.
These two are amazing, I also name their dance Favorite Dance of the Week.


And last but not least, the last of the Top 20, Tanisha & Nicky.
She has parents that love sex, He sucks at math. (How Ironic.)
They did a groove to “I’m a Freak” (HA-HA-HA!) by Enrique Iglesias. It got basic and dull at parts, but got better as it progresses. Mary loved it so much that she turned into a human VCR on Fast Forward. So funny, also because time was running out. It’s live television; what can I say?

Since I don’t follow dancing as much as I do singing, I can’t tell which dance is the worst, but from the comments I read on YouTube, Jacque and Jourdan’s ballet seems to be that. I guess I'm the only one who likes it. Anyway...

And now we’ve reached the end, and what can I say (again)? Even though it felt like it went on forever, I enjoyed every moment of it. I enjoyed the dances, and I even enjoyed Jason Derulo (I don’t hate him, though.) And finally, the part of the show that I enjoy the most; when the dances come to the stage to dance one last dance together during the end credits. I just love watching the dancers have fun and look silly at the end of the show every week; it just makes me feel good.

Thank you guys for joining me for this review and make sure you keep coming back every Friday at 8 o’clock for reviews of this fan-tap-olous show for every dance, every (other) critique and things I just love to here. See you then! And see you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment