Friday, July 25, 2014

SYTYCD Review Ep. 4: Good Kissing, Flipping and Flying & Dancing Lepers

Welcome to Maroon Mondays’ review of the Live Shows of “So You Think You Can Dance”.
As with my reviews of Rising Star, the opinions are less professional than those of the TV-show websites.

Well, this week has surprised me. Although the dances were good, almost all of them were a little middling. I of course have my favorites and my opinions so let’s get this started.

Show-starting Group dance time!!



The competition begins with Valerie & Ricky performing a Bollywood dance choreographed by Nakul Dev Mahajan to “Dilliwaali Girlfriend” from the soundtrack of Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. They did a great job for two people who aren’t Indian. They did the step fantastically and the part where he slaps her ass like bongo drums was hilarious. I find Bollywood dancing cheesy, but I think it’s a great kind of cheesy. So far and away I find this one the “Favorite Dance of the Week”.


Up next, Bridget & Emilio did a Travis Wyatt-Comtemp groove to Chris Gameau’s “The Leaving Song’. This one takes place with a bed frame, so it had to be about a broken relationship. I loved the passion and emotion he two displayed during the routine. And the physical contact the two shared was perfect. Plus, a nice big props to Bridget for holding and carrying Emilio like that; such a heavy frame to hold, but she did great. Also, three cheers to the bed frame for being an awesome prop. There should be a Twitter account expected for it, but that’s stupid.


Then, Tanisha & Rudy did a Hip-Hop bit to Usher’s “Good Kisser”. Boy, was it steamy. Tanny brought some major sex appeal along with the dance, and Rude made sore the ladies got some, too. The song meshed well with the dance. And Tanisha’s legs!! Can I put that out there like the dog I am? Yes I must. This is also my “Favorite Dance of the Week”.


Jessica & Marquet performed a Dmitry Chaplin-choreographed Foxtrot bit to “I Put a Spell on You” by Nina Simone. I love the elegance and grace of the moves, but somehow I felt a lack somewhere in there. I don’t know what it is, but it’s in there. Anyway, it was a wonderful foxtrot and the two did wonderfully. Also, just putting it out there: doesn’t Nina Simone sound a bit like Cee-Lo Green. It’s probably the ambiguous tone of the voice. It’s no wonder Cee-Lo has the pipes like a woman.


Later on, Carly & Serge give a Contemporary from Mandy Moore (yes, the singer/actress can also has a dancer side) to Jewel’s “Foolish Games”. This was a beautiful dance. I felt emotion and heart-wrenching moves all around, that it almost made me cry. And I felt it too. Well done to the duo, and well done to Mandy Moore for the moves. You still got it, woman who once voiced Rapunzel.


Emily & Teddy, meanwhile, to it to the Salsa for this Oksana Dmytrenko and Jonathan Platero-choreographed dance to the “Roca Remix” of “Bruk it Down” by Mr. Vegas featuring Alison Hinds. I usually find Salsa dancing exciting, sexy and awesome. I saw sexy, but also a little excitement and not much awesome. I’m sorry, it just didn’t do it for me. I also saw a little mess-up from Emily near the beginning, but since this isn’t Dancing with the Stars, she isn’t very screwed. They did their best, but I wasn’t all that impressed.


Next, Jacque & Zack perform a Jazz routine to “Back to Black” by Beyonce feat. Andre 3000. Although the part where Zack flapped his arms like a dodo was clearly strange, I liked the dance. It’s questionable but I like it. I just can’t explain my thoughts the moves. They’re so unique and amazing, I’ll just say I liked it. Not “Best Performance of the Week” liked it.


And finally, Brooklyn & Casey did a Hippity-hoppity ditty by Will "WilldaBeast" Adams to the “Hustle Hard’ remix by Ace Hood feat. Rick Ross and Lil Wayne. First off, their outfits.They look like rejects for the Umpires of the New York Yankees. Now the dance; the middle part is really good, while the beginning and end were lacking. The two gave it their all during that part and I loved it. The start and end though didn’t move me though. Good for them, anyway.

Before the elims come in here are some “Mini-Group” dances for you guys.
Here’s the first one, which I loved. It’s basically moving around like lepers and falling like them. The intensity and emotion left me breathless. And the story behind it makes me want to start a fund for these sick people and wish them a longer life, even though they’re clearly not sick. so it’s amazing (and funny).

And now the second, which I love just as much, if not more. It’s features what I love about this show: fast dancing, “Let’s Do the Same Moves” dancing, mugging the camera and jumping like ballerinas. These guy were so amazing, and the part where they pick up Jessica (or Carly or Bridget) and she falls into their arms was brilliant.

These two dances were absolutely the highlight of the week.


And now, the ever-so-intense eliminations. No video this week (Fox usually doesn’t have them[!!!!], so I had to go to an outside channel for them. Not the usual one I go to because Dick Clark Productions struck it down, but another one tha carries he show's videos.

Bottom 6:
Girls: Brooklyn, Bridget and Tanisha
Guys: Marquet, Serge and Zack
Eliminated: Marquet Hill & Brooklyn Fullmer

Painful all over again. Anyway, next week, as Nigel said, FOUR DANCERS will be eliminated from the competition. It will be even more painful for them (and for us). So stay tuned til next week for my review. Bye-bye, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment