Monday, July 21, 2014

#RisingStar Weekly Review: Ep. 5--The Du-els Part 2: CHOOSE!!

Hey everyone.
It’s That time once aga--Oh who, am I kidding? It’s Duels round again and six more semi-finalists fight for three more spots in the finals. Let’s see where we go now.



First up, Gabrielle Nicole vs. Macy Kate.
Okay, I’m shocked. but first, let’s go back to the first performance in the Wall auditions. She blew everyone (including me) away with her vocals, sound and control. She could be the winner, someone I thought would be Jesse. But I hoped it’d be her; she’d have this in the bag. But...then she became a bitch by seeing herself as a better singer and thinks everyone else is inferior to her. That pissed the viewers off, and stopped voting for her in the process.
Now back to the performance. That was mediocre. I didn’t know what I got myself into when I first heard that. I feel that Gabi forced the power in her vocals a bit too much. She did sound good in places, but the rest really overshadowed the performance. I felt she went down in her quality; there is no way anyone can do that in two weeks. Which is utterly unbelievable. She reached 49%
Up next, Macy took up the battle to using “Demons” by Imagine Dragons.
Macy did really well here. She did scream in places, but that what people who do rock do all the time. Her voice was overall better than Gabbi.
The Experts said both did great tonight, but I believe that they can’t criticize Gabi because of how disappointing she has become or because they didn’t; I expect Luda to do so, but he likes her so yeah. She won this battle with 80%

Expert Chat time.
A couple weeks ago, Kesha mentioned a Twitter fan convention called “The Cat Call”. At this point, she says it has gone very well, with some audience members wearing cat ears. Later, Josh and some stage hands gave her a giant ball of yarn. And she played with it. I don’t know what to make of this.

I didn’t watch the 2nd or 3rd Du-els to make a more perfect critique so I’ll have to work with what I saw the first time.

Next up, Sonnet Simmons vs. April Lockhart.
First, Sonnet sings “Feeling Good” She sounds like Fergie if she sang in the 1940s; and that’s a good thing. I loved the rendition a lot. Her voice and control was perfect. Although there a couple off-key pieces here and there, and her high points felt unnecessary. Anyway, she did great with 73%.
And last, April with Neon Trees’ “Animal”. I liked it, but not as much. I enjoy her low-deep voice, but felt a little bored because it felt a little slow. All Experts tapped yes, and it was enough for her to carry on the finals with 74%, just an inch more than Sonnet. Congrats to her, though.


And finally, the final Du-el: Austin French vs. Adam Jaymes.
Starting up the battle was Austin with “I Don’t Want to Be” by Gavin DeGraw. I liked this a lot. austin packed the vocal power in this one. And he didn’t lose his breath or voice till the very end. The Experts and the viewers loved it, so in return, they gave him 81%. Luda was proud, Unicorn Tears liked the new (sort-of) look, and Brad loved him as well.
And Adam fought back with “Free Fallin”. I liked the song, but his slow, sultry version took it to a new level. Oh wait, he wasn’t supposed to be like that? Oh okay. Then he was a little boring, with no pace being picked up. Venison Jerky and Kesha were impressed, but Luda (along with a lot of viewers) was not impressed, saying that he did not give it his all, and I did agree. I do think he didn’t either. Kesha thought he was hot (and also hoped he would pick up the pace), and Brad that he misses notes; that’s all I have.

And that is all I have to say this week. This week was more disappointing than the last. Almost all performers didn’t give me the impression I hoped for, especially Gabrielle. I hoped she destroy the stage but she became an over-confident diva-ish brat and lost the popularity from viewers (and me a little). I like the others, but not loved them. They didn’t blow me away, but they all got a like from me in their own ways. I wish the final bout next week could be better, but from here, let’s say I’m beginning to lose hope in this show. Sorry.
See you next week…(if you’re actually still around).

No comments:

Post a Comment