Friday, February 27, 2015

The Dress: A Piece of Clothing That Knocked Everyone's Socks Off (But Mine)

Hello there.
So I was marathoning House of Cards just in time for its third season being released, when I jumped onto Twitter (not this blog's page, which is questionably quiet, although I wish I was there; but my personal page) and saw some this.


Everyone (and I mean everyone) has been talking about this dress since late last night. And it has me asking this question:
Just look at these stupid titles from some articles at some of the websites
"An Expert's Lessons From the Dress" -Slate
"The Dress That Broke the Internet, and the Woman Who Started It All" -TIME.com (Freaking TIME!!)
"What color is The Dress?: The Science Behind the Social Media Debate" -CBSPhilly.com
"The Science of Why No One Agrees on the Color of This Dress" -WIRED
(Neil DeGrasse Tyson is facepalming at this point)
"The Dress is Blue. Here's Why" -TODAY.com (This was listed under HEALTH)

Okay. Here's the thing: why are people talking about this?!?! It's a picture of a dress.
How could this turn everyone into mindless zombies spouting random colors after seeing it? Why should we care about it?! Why is this a legitimate trend?!
Everyone has been going apeshit over it. Even my own family has been talking about this! Even I have been talking about stupid little dress!
Last night, my brothers and I were talking about it, and they were surprised about it. And I was surprised Just hours ago when my sister and I looked at it (we thought it was), my little brother looked at it too, and said that it was actually (and I quote) Tan and a Gold-like color. And he was serious, too.

Here's my thought: I don't see it. I don't see the appeal of this. I don't understand how everyone has gone bananas over a picture of a dress. I do understand that some people have different visual perceptions, and can see something in a different light. And in this case, light is important. But, I don't get this at all. I mean, I've seen some truly goofy trends on Twitter (and now Facebook), but this is like, downright bizarre.
I mean, I feel like this is some parody or satire of Social Media trends that could be used on Saturday Night Live or Key & Peele or Portlandia, and everyone is in on it. I'm serious; that's actually how I feel about it.

I mean I could say this is funny because of how absurd this is, and how looney everyone has become thanks to it. I could laugh at how a dress brought together a nation in crippling togetherness. And I also could laugh at how annoying it is that everyone is still talking about it. So yeah, this is funny. In a creepy, uninteresting and sad way.

Fortunately, this trend ended as quickly as it started. Unfortunately, that was because of the shocking death of Leonard Nimoy, best known as Spock from Star Trek: The Original Series, its spin-off films, and the 2011 reboot film.
This tweet really summed up this entire two days in less than 140 characters.

Interesting how fast Social Media can switch from one trend to another in a matter of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment