Thursday, May 28, 2015

America's Got Talent X Weekly Review: Auditions--Ep. 1--The Kids Can Handle It, Ira Cannot



Hey, everyone. If you’ve been waiting all year for the show of the Summer to return, you’re in luck as the wait is over. My review of America’s Got Talent is back!! Oh, and the show itself is back too. I couldn’t wait to start watching along with you and giving my thoughts of the Live Shows, that I decided to make a bold move and begin my Reviews at the very beginning.. That’s right, from here on out, I’m starting my Reviews from the auditions stage. Where the performers (singers, dancers, magicians, comedians, impressionists and a few more) make their beginnings (and in a few cases, ends too). So let’s get started!

For this certain review, I’ll be discussing some of my favorites from the Season 10 premiere, along with some Random Thoughts of things I saw during the show and thoughts on some of the Terrible acts. Plus I may talk about Nick’s suit game, Howie’s antics, Howard’s antics, Mel’s British goofiness and Heidi’s hot flighty accent. Let’s see what America’s got to offer this time around.


The first act of the season are Elin & Noah, super cute 7 and 8-year-old kids from Nashville who are there to dance and Handle Howard's criticism. To MC Hammer's immortal “Can’t Touch This”, they already impressed the crowd with their skills. And with me, I think they’re worthy enough to make it to Vegas. Their Hammer-Walk was infectious. Even more so when Nick joined in.

(apologies for misspelling her name. I’m sure she can Handle It.)

Triple Threat (Careb Conrad, Will Richie & Tyler Davis, all 21) from Benton, AK, serenaded the crowd with a rendition of--well, a song I'm not aware of at the moment. My God, wow. That was impressive. The guys’ voices are really nice; it’s like listening to an acapella group, but with music still playing. And Tyler’s rap solo was freakin’ dope! Their performances synced like chains on a bike, and they impressed me immediately.

Indeed.

In case you haven’t noticed, Howie is a bit of a germaphobe. He can’t stand people touching him. Which is where hypnotist Chris from West Side Chicago comes in. He’s going to hypnotize him and try to destroy his fear of germs.
Unfortunately, the network prohibits the producers from showing the bit. But take my word for it--it worked.
Doesn’t matter, I was a little bored with the thing, and I assume Howie was too, since he buzzed Jones. Then when all is said and done, Howie starts shaking his hands. That was impressive.

Showproject is a collective of four gymnasts in their 20s. They’re auditioning with their skills...and apparently, their hotness, too.
From the moment the guys took off their shirts, the female judges and female members of the audience were already hooked onto them. They don’t need to do anything; they’re going anyway! But fortunately for the rest of us, they did something anyway that impressed us.
Their skills are just breathtaking. The tricks and flips amazed me. And their strength and timing blew me. Wowzers indeed, Melanie.

Next was Johnny Shelton, originally from Nashville and now residing in Tampa, singing an original song dedicated to his baby son.
That already would put him on my list to put in the finals, but his song was a very lovely guitar-laden ditty that could make anyone vulnerable, but will be picked up from the spoken-word second verse. It sure did got me feeling that way. I wish him all the best this season, and in life.

And finally, Piff the Magic Dragon. I could stop there and tell you that’s awesome on its own, but I need to give you what he does. He’s a dragon that does magic. Now can I stop?
Seriously, he’s hilarious, and his corny, smarmy British humor between tricks is delicious. This is an act I’d want to see at the Live Shows. And maybe even Vegas. I don’t know he has that talent I’d want to see more than once in my life.

People I Would Like to See Again For a Little While:
Ira, a 32-year-old puppet that is excited to see Mel. That’s it. He and his mother (who lives with him), come to the auditions to sing. Actually, he’s gonna sing to Mel. And she's flatted (creeped out)/
When I saw Mel’s face, it was priceless. Ira has a really nice voice and he’s, but I think the concept would wear thin soon, unless the guy behind him has other ideas. I just hope his love for Mel won’t turn into an “Animals”-type situation.

Random Thoughts:
-This season, Dunkin Donuts replaced Snapple as the official sponsor of the show. Who honestly thought it was best to replace Iced Tea with Coffee (or whatever drink they’re hiding in them cups)?
-How Ironic that a group named Triple Threat met on a football field after being injured together.
-Elin & Noah can Handle It! That oughta be a catchphrase. Like Arnold Jackson has “Whatchu Talkin Bout?” and Michelle Tanner has “You Got It, Dude!”, these guys should have this as theirs for how cute they said it.
-Seriously ”a puppet having a stalker-like crush on a British former-girl-group-singer turned competition-show-judge” WILL turn old fast.

Nick’s Suit Scussion:
It’s clear that Nick was probably dared to wear colorful suits that emulate the colors of the NBC logo. Just look at them and tell me you can’t see that. I DEFY YOU. Fortunately, there will be more of that, so this mini-segment will be held off until the Live Shows (and maybe Vegas shows, too) because this would be too corny to be considered funny every time he wears more than one suit.

Well, that was the start of what has to be one beautiful relationship. (Sorry, Ira. Yours isn’t happening. Yet.) I can’t wait to see what this season will bring: more antics and weird talk from the judges, more flagrant and fabulous suit game from Nick, whatever celebrity judges will only appear once (and possibly promote a show on the Peacock) and more amazing and mind- blowing talent waiting to be discovered and praised to come. And of course, I’ll be there to record my account of which I loved and which I...kinda liked, but wish I didn’t see again.

Tune in next week--same time(s), same website. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment